What's new

Top 10 Weathiest Nations of the World

Shotgunner51

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
China
The measure of Millionaires is a more balanced reflect of the overall wealthiness of a nation.

1340163772730.jpg

By number of millionaire households:
Countries with the Most Millionaires - Yahoo Finance
Top 10 Countries with the Most Millionaires in the World

1) USA - 4,715,000
2) Japan - 1,230,000
3) China - 670,000
4) United Kingdom - 485,000
5) Germany - 430,000
6) Italy - 300,000
7) Switzerland - 283,000
8) France - 280,000
9) Taiwan - 230,000
10) Hong Kong - 205,000

By density of millionaire population:
The countries with the densest millionaire populations
1) Singapore - 17.1%
2) Qatar - 14.3%
3) Kuwait - 11.8%
4) Switzerland 9.5%
5) Hong Kong 8.8%
6) UAE - 5%
7) USA - 4.3%
8) Israel - 3.6%
9) Taiwan - 3.2%
10) Bahrain - 3.2%

Findings:

- Top 10 countries with most millionaires are in USA, East Asia (4 countries) and Western Europe (5 countries)

- The wealthiest population are in USA, East Asia (3 countries), Middle East (5 countries), Western Europe (1 country)

- The countries that appear in both charts are: USA, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Switzerland

- In Asia, Japan and China have large quantity of millionaires, while Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan have the wealthiest population.

Any update on data, analysis, most welcome.

Last edited:
I haven't got any update data yet, but just by observation, just in Shanghai alone there could be more millionaires ($ 1M ~ RMB 6M) than the figures posted as China's total above (670,000 as of 2009, risen 30% YOY) considering the average apartment price here is around RMB 5-6M per unit, and that number of luxury car on the streets (can check sales data from luxury auto brands)

@Chinese-Dragon @Yizhi @Genesis @Nihonjin1051 @cnleio @TaiShang ... please supply data if available

Last edited:
I haven't got any update data yet, but just by observation, just in Shanghai alone there could be more millionaires ($ 1M ~ RMB 6M) than the figures posted as China's total above considering the average apartment price here is around RMB 5-6M per unit, and that number of luxury car on the streets (can check sales data from luxury auto brands)

I have always wanted to move to Shanghai. :D

And at least the property prices can't be worse than Hong Kong!

I have always wanted to move to Shanghai. :D

And at least the property prices can't be worse than Hong Kong!

Welcome bro, I will buy you nice treats.

I think cities like Shanghai, Hangzhou are OK, but in general we are way behind the same Chinese economies of HK, TW and SG (not to forget Macau's, their GDP per capita is >$90,000), we got a lot to chase bro!

List of countries with 10 or more billionaires in 2014

Rank Country / Region Number of billionaires Richest of the Country / Region
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States 571 Bill Gates[1]
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China 190 Wang Jianlin[2]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom 130 Hinduja Brothers[3]
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia 127 Alisher Usmanov
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany 123 Dieter Schwarz
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
India 103 Mukesh Ambani[4][5]
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil 79 Jorge Paulo Lemann
23px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png
Hong Kong 45 Li Ka-shing
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France 43 Liliane Bettencourt and family
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy 35 Michele Ferrero and family

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...6oHoBw&usg=AFQjCNHodLf6GDyxr1WSvVI71-Z2oejWYw

List of countries with 10 or more billionaires in 2014

There is a similar thread here on PDF
India Has World’s Third-Largest Number of Billionaires
Extract:
top-5-where-the-world-s-billionaires-live-2014-2015_chartbuilder.png

My point is billionaire is the measure of "super rich" which is a tiny fraction of the population (even in US it's only 481 vs 300 million i.e. 0.0016%, india's case is even as low as 0.0000058%) and lacks enough representation of the average wealthiness of a nation/society. Moreover if compounded by poverty than it only drives up Gini Coefficient i.e. income disparity, social inequality.

While the millionaire would be closer to the measure of "middle class" or "upper middle class", has a broader representation.

There is a similar thread here on PDF
India Has World’s Third-Largest Number of Billionaires
Extract:
top-5-where-the-world-s-billionaires-live-2014-2015_chartbuilder.png

My point is billionaire is the measure of "super rich" which is a tiny fraction of the population (even in US it's only 481 vs 300 million i.e. 0.0016%, india's case is even as low as 0.0000058%) and lacks enough representation of the average wealthiness of a nation/society. Moreover if compounded by poverty than it only drives up Gini Coefficient i.e. income disparity, social inequality.

While the millionaire would be closer to the measure of "middle class" or "upper middle class", has a broader representation.

What you're looking for is the HNWIs (High Net Worth Individuals).

What you're looking for is the HNWIs (High Net Worth Individuals).

Yes the statistical caliber is very close, just differ by household vs individual.
In banking more HNI is used instead of household, example, HSBC private banking targets HNI > $5 mil, Merrill Lynch wealth management targets HNI > $0.5M. You in banking or fund management?

Yes the statistical caliber is very close, just differ by household vs individual.
In banking more HNI is used instead of household, example, HSBC private banking targets HNI > $5 mil, Merrill Lynch wealth management targets HNI > $0.5M. You in banking or fund management?

No I'm not in banking or hedge fund, but wouldn't mind getting into it eventually...interesting field. money is fun, but playing with other people's money is even better, all of the fun and none of the liabilities. :D

how about you ?

No I'm not in banking or hedge fund, but wouldn't mind getting into it eventually...interesting field. money is fun, but playing with other people's money is even better, all of the fun and none of the liabilities. :D

how about you ?

I worked as GP in PE that's why I had to deal a lot with HNI's and on top of funds some of our LP's were HNI's.
Can't see your flag, where are you from?

I guess counting the numbers of millionaires is more valid way f counting how rich a country is , because it tell us how good the wealth is distributed.

I haven't got any update data yet, but just by observation, just in Shanghai alone there could be more millionaires ($ 1M ~ RMB 6M) than the figures posted as China's total above (670,000 as of 2009, risen 30% YOY) considering the average apartment price here is around RMB 5-6M per unit, and that number of luxury car on the streets (can check sales data from luxury auto brands)
i didn't receive the alert. sorry for being late.
i think any Chinese family living in tier 1 cities owns a few properties can be called a 'millionaire household'? it's quite common.
val702.png

an old pic, shows how wealth change over decades.

I worked as GP in PE that's why I had to deal a lot with HNI's and on top of funds some of our LP's were HNI's.
Can't see your flag, where are you from?

nice. in china ? how much did you raise ?

I don't show the flag, don't believe in flags and nations...we're all humans. eff nationality.

nice. in china ? how much did you raise ?

I don't show the flag, don't believe in flags and nations...we're all humans. eff nationality.

Yup China, we have a few of both USD (100-450M ea) and RMB (150M~3B). USD funds are loosing steam as exit getting less favorable, we even have portfolio corps privatised after IPO. RMB getting easier as exit in China is becoming a popular option.

Come on just let me know, I am interested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom