What's new

Top 10 greatest tactical and strategic masterpieces.

I propose that we open a separate thread for the Battle of the Hydaspes (it's been discussed threadbare before on just such a dedicated thread, but there is additional evidence and information to be presented).

If this is done, as a first step, I would like to put up the original sources on the battle, before anyone starts commenting or opining on events.

Any agreement on this?

Seems like a good idea, please proceed.

Joe Shearer
The penny drops, finally.
When two boys reached late in school, Masterji asked a boy, why are you late?, boy said, oh sir I dropped my penny and was searching for it. then Masterji asked other boy, why are you late, boy said, oh..oh..this ...that I was standing on his penny.

This is not about military history, is it? Never was. Silly me, banging on about strategy and tactics.....

This was about 'the penny' (the reason for outburst)and other was about strategy and tactics (hydaspes battle)from my first post in this thread.

No, you cannot safely assume Pakistani posters. Pakistani posters do not all of them make remarks under the influence of what you have termed a 'religious furor'.

Please maintain the sanctity of context in which ‘religious furor’ was used by me.
No point in quoting , repeat postings, etc, that you alluded to Pakistani posters. Interested readers can themselves read and decipher who where meant when they addressed others as ..QUOTE.. You stupid Indians…..

Some do; they are often the ones to go into fanciful accounts about past history, to re-define India, sometimes as a term meaning a small part of the continent, sometimes as a latter-day concept initially proposed by the British and avidly taken up by a section of Indians during the freedom struggle; there are several other characteristics, besides, which all boil down to a hard-core set of 'spoilers' among the readers.

We will take up at some other opportune moment above sentiments for discussion. No point in pursuing now.

You can safely assume posters of any and all nationalities whose judgment is clouded by other than analysis of military matters, who believe that the religion of a battle-field commander, war leader or political authority determines his merit.

Laughing up your sleeves, were you?

Yes, certainly I see that pattern, that a technical subject attracts much less attention and response than a sensational one. And if you are saying that there are many more Indian readers than Pakistani, so the burden is on the Indians to express appreciation as much as the Pakistanis, I am left more than surprised: the problem is with enthusiasm born of that fatal phrase, 'religious furor', and that is what I remarked upon. There is no reason why both should not exist - a scant respect for difficult subjects as well as a distortion of thinking due to religious furor (personally I favour the word 'fervour'). I chose to highlight one, you chose to highlight the other. Now what? What have you proved?

I have proved nothing, and was not after any proof whatsoever; just wanted an answer, my penny.

There are two points here which need addressing.

First, it is absurd for contributors to thank themselves, as you have suggested:
I don't even know if that is possible, even if laughable.
Joe Shearer thanking AUSTERLITZ on his valuable contributions and AUSTERLITZ thanking Joe Shearer on his insights, as usually posters do.
What is 'impossible' or 'laughable' about this?

Second, about none of these relating to the sub-continent other than Hydaspes: that is defined within the definition itself. none of these threads were started by me; the thread originators have defined the discussion space. Why should I particularly break my neck to change their thinking? It's their thread; go address them.

OK, fine.
As it happens, in a global context, I have already been at great pains to explain - an explanation that apparently you have read - why battles on the sub-continent do not register on the global record. But that of course does not stand in the way of a juicy allegation.

What juicy allegation?

Not to me.

But you should have told me clearly that I was being court-martialed, and that my formal responses, or a lack of them, would be considered at the time of judgement.
Might I point out, once again, that it was not made clear to me that there was a court martial going on, and that you were the offical prosecutor? That an answer to a question not asked was required?
No one is being subject to court martial, a lieutenant can't court martial a colonel. Just tried to find an answer (a very elusive one) to a question from the very first post (mine) in this thread. Otherwise, asking questions, seeking answers is normal procedures on a discussion board... or may be I am wrong.... you should clarify this with the senior members and/or moderators.

P.S.

Actually what are u two quarelling about?
Its getting difficult with long posts and reposts on both sides.

Actually what are u two quarelling about?
Its getting difficult with long posts and reposts on both sides.

It's not a quarrel, it's a running battle.

I do the running, he does the battling. Perfect division of labour.

Don't know why he's got this chip on his shoulder, but I'll just have to weather it, I guess :argh:

Back
Top Bottom