What's new

The man behind the baton

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan is a case study of how misunderstood and misapplied the concept of leadership is. The country and most of its institutions have never really grown beyond the individuals who govern them.
the-man-behind-the-baton-8b17798d90ab81d75608ff8b21df1f2a.JPG

By:
Andleeb Abbas

04-Dec-16

One can be a CEO and not be a leader; one can be a President and not be a leader; one can be a commander and not be a leader. That is a reality that is witnessed day in and day out. Leadership is the most talked about, yet the least understood and applied concept. What is most visible is the association of leadership with power and power with a position. Thereby, the position becomes all important factor to become a leader. The debate about needing a particular environment conducive to producing an influential leader is endless. Another debate is whether strong leaders create healthy institutions or do they become so important that their exit makes the institutions fragile. This discourse has been going on for centuries, but there are certain common principles that have emerged to enable understanding the complexity of these philosophies.

Pakistan is a case study of how misunderstood and misapplied the concept of leadership is. The country and most of its institutions have never really grown beyond the individuals who govern them. These institutions are thus always subject to the will and whim of the people heading them. Over time we have seen institutions go through volatile and uneven progress. State institutions have flourished or perished depending on how they are governed, which depends on how their rules and policies are respected and followed. In many institutions like NADRA and FBR, the fortunes of the institutions have fluctuated with the change of guard at the top. However, one institution that has established its credentials over a period is the armed forces of Pakistan. It has been known for its performance, its systems and its discipline. These qualities combined with the military power has in the history of our country made them over power governments and assumed the all-powerful role. This history has invited all types of admiration and criticism in the past. From Ayub Khan to Yahya Khan to Zia-ul-Haq, dictatorial rules have created a huge doubt of intent on the desire of army as an all-purpose institution. Thus military, in the past, had become a symbol of unspoken fear, apprehension and unease in the country.

Then came the return to democracy. Democracy failed to deliver, and both main political parties got two turns to prove themselves but could not perform. Army as an institution has this ability to be better at organisation and Musharraf riding on the governance gap of the democratic governments stepped in to oust democracy. However, his own addiction to power led him to compromise with the very people he had come to cleanse. Musharraf did massive damage to the image of the army, and it developed a perception as power raiders who destroy democratic principles. He did everything that a leader should not do. He promised elections within 90 days and went on for nine years; he promised accountability of politicians and let them escape the country. He imposed emergency and signed an NRO with them to let them come back. He became an ally in the War on Terror of US that made Pakistan become the base of terrorism. This reinforced the image of the army as a power hungry institution bent upon shredding the constitution of Pakistan.

When PPP won the 2008 elections, the new army Chief Ashfaq Kayani was treated with scepticism. The fact that he did not interfere with the government did little to improve the image of armed forces as an institution. He was seen as a Musharraf’s protégé who would promise to put Pakistan first but in the end put himself first. To his credit goes the Swat operation but to his discredit goes the tainted allegations of corruption and nepotism in land deals. He was also seen as a placid general who compromised on many things in exchange for an extension of his tenure. The controversy of how his extension was sponsored by General Petraeus did not make him larger than his position. Add to that the US raid of the Obama Bin Ladin compound in Abbottabad right under the nose of the army reflected poorly on the performance of the institution.

With this image, entered Raheel Sharif. And it was evident that he was not just a COAS but a leader. A leader sets the direction and vision. Raheel Sharif immediately announced a paradigm shift by saying the country is facing “existential threat from the internal enemy.” He resolutely focused on the Zarb-e-Azb and used his influence to make the reluctant political parties agree to it. If ever there was a man who led from the front it was him—be it leading the Army Public School response to terrorists, being the first leader to welcome students back to the school, visiting victims in hospitals, paying condolences, visiting every bomb blast area—he was there giving a message of standing with them. He was a great inspiration for the men in uniform at all levels. On every Eid, he would prefer to spend Eid with his troops in Waziristan and all the remote areas. He was a man of resolve and commitment. His interest in the National Action Plan and its inability to be implemented fully was visible as he would chair most of the meetings and despite being a man of few words commented on the lack of governance making the National Action Plan less efficient. Karachi operations are a proof of the focus on eliminating the internal enemy.

One of the tests of leadership is how he leads by example. A leader has to first of all make himself accountable. The army has been blamed for being a holy cow that cannot be taken to task. Raheel Sharif was the first army chief who initiated a process of accountability of 6 senior army officers and brought them to trial for corruption. A leader’s test comes on how he handles his popularity. In every survey Raheel Sharif has been rated above all political party leaders. There was this whole story of how he will step in during political clashes and cash upon his popularity to take over the country as many of his predecessors had done in the past, or, he will negotiate with the government to stay away in exchange for an extension. Not so, proved Raheel Sharif. As a leader, he showed that he was a man of integrity and till his last kept on leading with precision and professionalism.

The final test of a great leader is how many leaders he has produced in his successors who could carry the mission forward. There is unfinished business. The continuation of Karachi operations, starting operations in Punjab and the implementation of NAP are some of the areas that will determine that whether the Malacca cane baton stick Raheel Sharif has handed over to General Qamar Javed Bajwa carries this legacy to its destiny.

The writer is a columnist and analyst and can be reached at andleeb.abbas1@gmail.com

http://dailytimes.com.pk/opinion/04-Dec-16/the-man-behind-the-baton

@SherDil007 @war&peace @GreenFalcon @Indus Falcon @Morse_Code @PakSword

Leader: the person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country.
one can be a President and not be a leader;
Tayyip Erdogan, Z.A.Bhutto:p:
The country and most of its institutions have never really grown beyond the individuals who govern them.

The main reason behind this: the one who governs the country uses these institutions (army is an exception) for his/her likes or political agenda and/or completely change the policies of the previous govt. This has nothing to do with leadership.
A leader’s test comes on how he handles his popularity. I
Funny. Isnt it? NS is popular in Punjab, and he became PM (3 times: more than anyone in Pak) but he is very short sighted and may be he has no vision about economy, edu, and other sectors, does this popularity him leader? LOL.
Sometimes certain events need exceptional steps, it doesnt have to do with leadership. All in all, the writer didnt say a word about her definition of Leader.

Leader: the person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country.

Z.A.Bhutto:p:

The main reason behind this: the one who governs the country uses these institutions (army is an exception) for his/her likes or political agenda and/or completely change the policies of the previous govt. This has nothing to do with leadership.

Funny. Isnt it? NS is popular in Punjab, and he became PM (3 times: more than anyone in Pak) but he is very short sighted and may be he has no vision about economy, edu, and other sectors, does this popularity him leader? LOL.
Sometimes certain events need exceptional steps, it doesnt have to do with leadership. All in all, the writer didnt say a word about her definition of Leader.

Unfortunately Tayyip Erdogan is not Pakistan leader i would love to have him our leader. Z Bhutto is the reason Bangladesh is Bangladesh because of him how many farmers and land Lord died because of him our charsada paper mill and sugar mill closed. Don't spare you BS philosophy here. He desrve what he got. Don't compare him with Tayyip Erdogan Don't compare him with RAHEEL SHARIF i compare him with Shahbaz sharif

Unfortunately Tayyip Erdogan is not Pakistan leader i would love to have him our leader. Z Bhutto is the reason Bangladesh is Bangladesh because of him how many farmers and land Lord died because of him our charsada paper mill and sugar mill closed. Don't spare you BS philosophy here. He desrve what he got. Don't compare him with Tayyip Erdogan Don't compare him with RAHEEL SHARIF i compare him with Shahbaz sharif
Did you read the article ya bs hawa main teer chala rahe ho? She wrote: one can be a President and not be a leader thatswhy i said this is not the case with Tayyip Erodgan.

Z.A.bhutto was not a leader. Okay right, I agree, so was Mr.Yahya khan. If he were not in love with "Kursi", Pakistan wont have been broken. One could have been PM and the other one as president but Mr. Yahya Khan's love plus S.Mujeeb and Z.A.Bhutto's arrogance was the reason behind dec 16 incident. You just cant blame politicians.

If he were not to nationalize mills, there were no middle class in Pakistan as of now. Well Im not comparing someone with others. But you must be a nooni pooni tone who is happy comparing corrupt S.Shareef with Raheel Shareef.

Did you read the article ya bs hawa main teer chala rahe ho? She wrote: one can be a President and not be a leader thatswhy i said this is not the case with Tayyip Erodgan.

Z.A.bhutto was not a leader. Okay right, I agree, so was Mr.Yahya khan. If he were not in love with "Kursi", Pakistan wont have been broken. One could have been PM and the other one as president but Mr. Yahya Khan's love plus S.Mujeeb and Z.A.Bhutto's arrogance was the reason behind dec 16 incident. You just cant blame politicians.

If he were not to nationalize mills, there were no middle class in Pakistan as of now. Well Im not comparing someone with others. But you must be a nooni pooni tone who is happy comparing corrupt S.Shareef with Raheel Shareef.

Spare me from a coward PM NS sorry im not Noon league or shaheed league. I on that side who loves pakistan. Im neither supporter of yahya or other leaders like Asfandyar Fazal ullah AZ etc who took advantage to themselves. I love that leader whose priority is first Pakistan . Today when i pass by the closed Mill it hits me in the heart how many people lost job because of union strikes. what she wrote is clearly wrote against Musharraf and other General she didn't spare anyone who were wrong

. I love that leader whose priority is first Pakistan .
I remember last time the one who chanted Sb se pehle Pakistan is from the institution to which Raheel Shareef belongs.
Today when i pass by the closed Mill it hits me in the heart how many people lost job because of union strikes.
This is due to mismanagement or corruption. We need to change organizational structure of instututions, and this cant be done without political will, and as i siad most of Pak politicians are without vision, its not gonna happen soon. Musharaf had a vision. our economy was progressing and institutions were strengthening during his tenure.

Back
Top Bottom