What's new

The Glory of the Mughal Empire

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
169050c9d71bc4cde47262337b7936e4.jpg

Bahadur Shah II, last Mughal Emperor of India (1838-1857). Painted by August Schoefft in 1854. Shah II was the last Mughal emperor and a member of the Timurid Dynasty.

RL757.7L.jpg

Shah Jahan, Mughal Emperor

I can see the reason for his downfall!

As Emperor of the Great Mughal Empire, it was considered customary that the State shower unto His Imperial Majesty the Emperor the Symbolic Beauty in the form of jewels and royal regalia.

the poor guy was never in good position to begin with.

That is right. Despite overwhelming British power, The Emperor Shah II still fought a war of rebellion against British yoke. He was defeated and sent to Myanmar, still he fought against foreign oppression.

shah_jahan_oversees_the_building_of_taj_mahal_by_oznerol_1516-d5chnbr.png

Shah Jahan overseeing the building of the Taj Mahal.

Last edited:
RL757.7L.jpg

Shah Jahan, Mughal Emperor

As Emperor of the Great Mughal Empire, it was considered customary that the State shower unto His Imperial Majesty the Emperor the Symbolic Beauty in the form of jewels and royal regalia.

That is right. Despite overwhelming British power, The Emperor Shah II still fought a war of rebellion against British yoke. He was defeated and sent to Myanmar, still he fought against foreign oppression.
No he did not fight anything. He was dragged into a war faught by indian sepoys and few kingdoms that supported the rebellion. He was too old and too insignificant to fight any war, war was faught on his name.

He lived more like a saint than a king.

In one of his couplet Bahadur Shah had lamented on the irony of his fate thus:

Umr-e-daraaz maang ke laye the char din/Do aarzu mein kat gaye, do intezar mein
Hai kitna badnasseb Zafar dafn ke liye/Do gaz zameen bhi mil na saki koo-e-yaar mein.
Na kisii kii ankh ka nur na kisii ke dil ka qarar hun/Jo kisii ke kam na a sake main vo ek musht-e-Gubar hun
Na to main kisii ka habiib hun na to main kisii ka raqiib hun/Jo bigar gaya vo nasiib hun jo ujar gaya vo dayar hun
hamane duniyaa mein aake kyaa dekha/dekhaa jo kucch so Khvaab-saa dekhaa/hai to insaan Khaak kaa putlaa/lekin paanii ka bulbulaa dekhaa)

I had requested for a long life a life of four days/Two passed by in pining, and two in waiting/How unlucky is Zafar! For burial/Even two yards of land were not to be had, in the land (of the) beloved./My life gives no ray of light, I bring no solace to heart or eye/Out of dust to dust again, of no use to anyone am I/Barred the door of the fate for me, bereft of my dear ones am I/The spring of a flower garden ruined/Alas, my autumn wind am I/I came into the world and what did I see?/Whatever I saw was just like a dream/Man is moulded from clay but/I saw him as a bubble of water.

Reference: The last days of Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar in Burma | TwoCircles.net

Why is the body of the Emperor still in Myanmar? He should be moved back to the place of his birth. imho.

I'm interested to know if there exists in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh any descendents of the Imperial Timurid Dynasty?
lots of mughal descendants in India.. some of them quite poor.
and yes bahadur shah's grave should be in delhi not yangoon.

This should not be so. Does not the Government of India provide titular lands for royal descendents?
when british gave us independence they also gave independence to 300 or so kings who were given 3 choices : join india, join pakistan or independence.
Smaller kings were forced to join either india or pakistan either by inducement (money) or threat. Most fell in line. (except kashmir and hyderabad the big kings).
India promised money (privy purse) to all kings.
Mughals were not among kings given that option by british as far as I know, so no money.
In any case govt of India went back on the promise and stopped paying any money after 70s.

Back
Top Bottom