What's new

the first visit by an Iranian defense minister to Turkmenistan to boost military cooperation

asena_great

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkmenistan_Iran_flags_Album_110512.jpg

Baku, Azerbaijan, Sept. 15

By Umid Niayesh - Trend:

Iranian and Turkmen defense ministers emphasized boosting cooperation in the military area during a meeting in Turkmenistan’s capital, Ashgabat.

Referring to the historical, cultural and religious commonalities between the Islamic Republic and Turkmenistan, Iran’s Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan said that the mutual ties should be boosted in all fields, Iran’s ISNA news agency reported Sept. 15.

Dehghan underlined that Iran regards regional countries’ security and development as its own, calling the Iran-Turkmenistan borders “borders of friendship and brotherhood”.

Caspian Sea lateral states should cooperate for protecting the security and stability in the region based on good neighborliness and trust, the Iranian minister added.

Turkmen defense minister, Colonel Begench Gundogdiev, emphasized cooperation between the two sides on military and security issues, and expressed his country's readiness for transfer of experience in this area.

The two sides also stressed cooperation on fighting terrorism and extremism.

Heading a high-ranking delegation, Dehghan arrived in Ashgabat on Sept. 15 and was welcomed by his Turkmen counterpart.

The Iranian official is in Turkmenistan at the invitation of Gundogdiev to discuss bilateral, regional and international issues with senior Turkmen political and military officials.

This is the first visit by an Iranian defense minister to Turkmenistan since its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.

Edited by CN

Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency

BTW, have you ever been to Mashhad?
well sadly no

not long ago, I was amazed seeing Mashhadi's long line of vehicles waiting at the border to be cleared entering Eshqabad, for the weekend journey.
well thats great news brother

what do u think General Dehghan is talking do u think they are planing a joint exercises ? :D that will be awesome :cheers:

well sadly no

well thats great news brother

what do u think General Dehghan is talking do u think they are planing a joint exercises ? :D that will be awesome :cheers:
Some empty words ,probably.

As long as we are sanctioned, no country risks her relationship with US.thats a fact.

Maybe they were discussing possible cooperations since nuclear negotiation is near to end and afterwards sanctions will be lifted.

This is the first visit by an Iranian defense minister to Turkmenistan since its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.
ofc but as well the site says it's first visit of a defence minister so it must be a big deal recently taliban attack turkmenistans border and killed several soldier and now turkmenistan start to buy a lot of new equipment and developing new system for the border of afghanistan maybe defence minister is going talk about that issue this maybe lead to joint exercises

As long as we are sanctioned, no country risks her relationship with US.thats a fact.
well whats the fact is that the trade between turkmenistan and iran grow even with sanctions , turkmenistan is a natural country so if usa has problem with iran they cant tell ashgabat what to do

ofc but as well the site says it's first visit of a defence minister so it must be a big deal recently taliban attack turkmenistans border and killed several soldier and now turkmenistan start to buy a lot of new equipment and developing new system for the border of afghanistan maybe defence minister is going talk about that issue this maybe lead to joint exercises

well whats the fact is that the trade between turkmenistan and iran grow even with sanctions , turkmenistan is a natural country so if usa has problem with iran they cant tell ashgabat what to do
The official policy of Turkmenistan is being neutral. In reality, it is heavily pro Russian and not neutral.

Talking about trading, yes that may grow as well.but we cant have a joint military cooperation in the near future.

The official policy of Turkmenistan is being neutral. In reality, it is heavily pro Russian and not neutral.
well i dont think so , russia have some advantage to enforce its will on turkmenistan foreign policy but it has its limits i personally cant tell in which camp they are btw im sure it's not the russian camp they have very bad relations look at his

6. (C) COMMENT: This was not the Meredov we had come to know. Whereas he had been expansive, even if usually didactic in the past, this time he was terse. In the short meeting, he took off his glasses three times to rub his eyes, and he kept vibrating his right leg almost like a nervous tic, something we had not observed him do before. We note the relationship with Meredov was essentially normal until almost the end of February. It is too early to draw any firm conclusions, but we note President Putin had a long, unscheduled pull-aside with President Berdimuhamedov during the CIS Informal Summit on February 21 (reftel C). We would like to know what was discussed. END COMMENT. HOAGLAND
meredov

wikileaks

for some years i thoght they are in chines camp but i was wrong i think they have policy to make good tide with strong regional countries for example they are making good tide with KAS while they have good tide with iran and turkey at same time surely they are trying to replace their needs from russia to several different regional power

well i dont think so , russia have some advantage to enforce its will on turkmenistan foreign policy but it has its limits i personally cant tell in which camp they are btw im sure it's not the russian camp they have very bad relations look at his

6. (C) COMMENT: This was not the Meredov we had come to know. Whereas he had been expansive, even if usually didactic in the past, this time he was terse. In the short meeting, he took off his glasses three times to rub his eyes, and he kept vibrating his right leg almost like a nervous tic, something we had not observed him do before. We note the relationship with Meredov was essentially normal until almost the end of February. It is too early to draw any firm conclusions, but we note President Putin had a long, unscheduled pull-aside with President Berdimuhamedov during the CIS Informal Summit on February 21 (reftel C). We would like to know what was discussed. END COMMENT. HOAGLAND
meredov

wikileaks

for some years i thoght they are in chines camp but i was wrong i think they have policy to make good tide with strong regional countries for example they are making good tide with KAS while they have good tide with iran and turkey at same time surely they are trying to replace their needs from russia to several different regional power

I wish you were right, but you are not. Basically, Turkmenistan government are the old soviets, with the an addendum that they are strongly Russian oriented, not as much as tajiks though. I know Turkmenistan's limitations but still they prefer to sell gas with 30 dollars per 1000m^3 in which it consists the main part of the gas that Russia exports to europe with 360-400 dollars per 1000m^3, while they could have collaborate in regional plans like SCPX, TANAP, TAP to make themselves independent from Russian tyranny and increase their income by 10 times at least. But they did not.

I wish you were right, but you are not. Basically, Turkmenistan government are the old soviets, with the an addendum that they are strongly Russian oriented, not as much as tajiks though. I know Turkmenistan's limitations but still they prefer to sell gas with 30 dollars per 1000m^3 in which it consists the main part of the gas that Russia exports to europe with 360-400 dollars per 1000m^3, while they could have collaborate in regional plans like SCPX, TANAP, TAP to make themselves independent from Russian tyranny and increase their income by 10 times at least. But they did not.
Natural resources arent eternal so wasting them isnt a good idea, they should do it Saudi style and buy weapons to protect themselves and later start a independent policy, i dont know how much gas Turkmenistan has but once it runs out they wont have anything in hand to free themselves.

Natural resources arent eternal so wasting them isnt a good idea, they should do it Saudi style and buy weapons to protect themselves and later start a independent policy, i dont know how much gas Turkmenistan has but once it runs out they wont have anything in hand to free themselves.

IMHO, saudi style is very stupid. They are already better than Saudi and Iran in the sense that don't waste money on wahabism and such, but still waste a huge amount of money for their Turkmenbashi, and huge price to please russkies. Instead they need to build tons of factories, build world class universities to educate their people with the world class technologies, ... and also, on the side, buy weapons. Turkmenistan suffers from a huge unemployment, as well. If instead of building golden statues, they build something for their people and stop the almost free petrol price policy, ... they can be like a second Norway, with this huge amount of resources they have.

IMHO, saudi style is very stupid. They are already better than Saudi and Iran in the sense that don't waste money on wahabism and such, but still waste a huge amount of money for their Turkmenbashi, and huge price to please russkies. Instead they need to build tons of factories, build world class universities to educate their people with the world class technologies, ... and also, on the side, buy weapons. Turkmenistan suffers from a huge unemployment, as well. If instead of building golden statues, they build something for their people and stop the almost free petrol price policy, ... they can be like a second Norway, with this huge amount of resources they have.
I meant Saudi style in terms of armament, they can start producing independent foreign policy once they have a respectable arsenal, better than spending money on gold monuments.

Back
Top Bottom