What's new

The Bangladesh Development Update: Economy Progressing, but Below Potential

For one, they are showing the GDP per capita lot higher than the figure published by world bank. Second, I compared 2013 figures. And I will believe world bank over BD govt figures. Just like you would, for Indian poverty figures.
Third, GDP figures for 2014 are higher for Indian states too.

GDP per capita and per capita income are not same things, the latter tend to be higher than the former since it also adds the remittance earned by a country to the GDP. Also, World Bank data is outdated which doesn't reflect the changes in base year for Bangladesh (from 1994-95 to 2005-06) while IMF has updated its database this October, hence IMF figures are more accurate. BTW India uses 2011-12 base year.

In any case, Bangladesh's per capita income is quite higher than the neighboring Indian states.

Last edited:
GDP per capita and per capita income are not same things, the latter tend to be higher than the former since it also adds the remittance earned by a country to the GDP. Also, World Bank data is outdated which doesn't reflect the changes in base year for Bangladesh (from 1994-95 to 2005-06) while IMF has updated its database this October, hence IMF figures are more accurate. BTW India uses 2011-12 base year.

In any case, Bangladesh's per capita income is quite higher than the neighboring Indian states.

Sorry, my mistake, I was thinking of GDP and didn't properly checked.
Here is per capita income of West Bengal for year 2012-2013: INR 62831 around $1160 for that fiscal.
http://pib.nic.in/archieve/others/2013/dec/d2013121703.pdf
Bangladesh for same period was at 1044.
Sikkim has higher than $2000.

For one, they are showing the GDP per capita lot higher than the figure published by world bank. Second, I compared 2013 figures. And I will believe world bank over BD govt figures. Just like you would, for Indian poverty figures.
Third, GDP figures for 2014 are higher for Indian states too.

World bank figure are not upto date,beside that Bangladesh also has changed the base year recently.

IMF figure related to Bangladesh GDP are relased only last week.

Dhaka has per capita of about $6000 USD
Dhaaaakaaaaa
I am comiiiiiiiing......

But seriously:
No. 1: Dhaka, Bangladesh - In Photos: The World's Densest Megacities - Forbes
Per capita income now $1,180 | Dhaka Tribune

Atleast it get to be number 1 at something!

World bank figure are not upto date,beside that Bangladesh also has changed the base year recently.

IMF figure related to Bangladesh GDP are relased only last week.

IMF are showing estimates. And that was my mistake, I confused income with GDP, corrected in previous post.
All in all, there are more job opportunities in India than Bangladesh. Why would Indians illegally immigrate to Bangladesh in millions? Odd cases can be considered, even tens of thousands. But millions, seriously? And that 5 billion dollar a year remittance from Bangladesh!

Dhaaaakaaaaa
I am comiiiiiiiing......

But seriously:
No. 1: Dhaka, Bangladesh - In Photos: The World's Densest Megacities - Forbes
Per capita income now $1,180 | Dhaka Tribune

Atleast it get to be number 1 at something!

IMF are showing estimates. And that was my mistake, I confused income with GDP, corrected in previous post.
All in all, there are more job opportunities in India than Bangladesh. Why would Indians illegally immigrate to Bangladesh in millions?
1. yes we are densely populated area and what forbes shown is very old area which is currently in focus. you are showing country's per capita income, not dhaka's per capita income. give me 10-15 mins, i will show u the actually developing area

2. lets not talk about illegal immigration, we need another thread for this.

@Kloitra check this link

Dhaka Cityscapes - Part 6 - Page 111 - SkyscraperCity

my few favorites photos

8356994717_7b0e31b1df_b.jpg

15003598029_457af4658c_b.jpg

1. yes we are densely populated area and what forbes shown is very old area which is currently in focus. you are showing country's per capita income, not dhaka's per capita income. give me 10-15 mins, i will show u the actually developing area
Sorry, I meant to show per capita GDP (PPP) and income. I made a mistake with the link, though it had the gdp ppp.
That was to reply your per capita, which I could not figure out was for income or GDP.

Sorry, I meant to show per capita GDP (PPP) and income. I made a mistake with the link, though it had the gdp ppp.
That was to reply your per capita, which I could not figure out was for income or GDP.
PPP is living standard,
PPP is the luxury that a citizen enjoys, and nominal is what it produces.

In that case, PPP will be higher like about $9000 USD

Bangladesh's economy cant be compared to india's, india has a population over 1.2bn and Bangladesh has a population around 160mn.

If your going to make any comparison then you'll need to compare with indian states that have similar population size, such as Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar, and West Bengal.

In which case Bangladesh would fall somewhere in the middle, its GDP per capita would be lower then Maharashtra one of the richer states in India, very close to that of West Bengal, but much higher then Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.

Bangladesh's economy cant be compared to india's, india has a population over 1.2bn and Bangladesh has a population around 160mn.

If your going to make any comparison then you'll need to compare with indian states that have similar population size, such as Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar, and West Bengal.

In which case Bangladesh would fall somewhere in the middle, its GDP per capita would be lower then Maharashtra one of the richer states in India, very close to that of West Bengal, but much higher then Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.

GDP/Captia of Maharsashtra and WB are bigger because they serve whole India through their port. Take the port out of the equation then you will see its advantage is gone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom