What's new

The Bangladesh Development Update: Economy Progressing, but Below Potential

Bong

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Bangladesh continues to make progress on human development and reducing extreme poverty.
  • Political uncertainty and weak competitiveness are dragging acceleration of private investment and growth.
  • To sustain growth in the near- and medium-term, private investment need to increase significantly along with improving the quality of public investment.
The Bangladesh Development Update October 2014 notes that the economy is gradually recovering from prolonged disruptions, aided by political and macroeconomic stability. The challenge now is to consolidate this by accelerating economic growth in an inclusive and sustainable manner. Economic activities in FY14 suffered a setback due to political turmoil, declines in remittance and private investment. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) has estimated a 6.1 percent GDP growth for 2014, compared to 6 percent last year.

Progress in poverty reduction and shared prosperity is visible. The poverty incidence, based on national poverty line ($1.13 per capita per day), is projected to decline from 31.5 percent in 2010 to 24.47 percent by 2014. Employment and wage growth appears to have boosted shared prosperity — increased the income of the bottom 40 percent. The UN Human Development Report 2014 says, Bangladesh graduated from Low Human Development (LHD) category to Medium Human Development (MHD) category in 2013.

Overall macroeconomic stability maintained though inflation is still high. Inflation increased to 7.4 percent in FY14 from 6.8 percent in FY13, driven by food price increases. This was due in part to the supply disruptions caused by political unrest in 2013. Stable international oil prices and exchange rate as well as prudent monetary management reduced non-food inflation to 5.5 percent in FY14 from 9.2 percent in FY13.

Despite a lower trade deficit, the current account surplus narrowed in FY14 because of a decline in remittances and an increase in services account deficit. The surplus in balance of payment increased from US$5.1 billion in FY13 to US$5.5 billion, creating an excess supply of foreign exchange. Bangladesh Bank (BB)’s interventions in the foreign exchange market limited nominal appreciation of taka. The real exchange rate appreciated by 8.5% in FY14 relative to FY13 due to small (2.7 percent) nominal appreciation and higher domestic inflation relative to international inflation. Foreign reserve increased to US$21.6 billion in June 2014.

Monetary management was challenged by fast reserve accumulation. BB managed to keep reserve and broad money growth within target by stepping up sterilization operations. BB’s net domestic assets and reserve money targets were met. Private sector credit growth remained subdued at 12.3%. BB increased Cash reserve ratio (CRR) from 6% to 6.5% in June 2014.

Financial sector is not out of the woods yet. Credit and risk management status is unsatisfactory in banking sector. Asset quality in the state-owned commercial banks (SCB) deteriorated in FY14 due to political unrest, poor lending decisions and change in loan classification standards. BB has started implementing the new provisions related to lending and bank’s exposure to stock markets. This should prevent excessive risk taking by the banks.

Fiscal policy is affected by revenue collection and development budget implementation shortfalls. The overall fiscal deficit in FY14 was a modest 3.1 percent of GDP. Public debt as a share of GDP is declining. However, there is little improvement in the quality of the Annual Development Plan (ADP) expenditures. Yet, the size of ADP in FY15 is envisaged to increase by 34 percent relative to the FY14 revised ADP.

Overall pace of structural reforms is slow, but there has been significant progress in the garments industry towards improving working conditions for factory workers, amendments to the labor and the Export Processing Zone (EPZ) laws, government’s capacity in assessing factory safety and agreement on common standards to assess structural building safety. Speedier progress is needed in the implementation of the new VAT law, liberalization of exchange regulations, infrastructure management, and financial supervision.

Growth and inflation outlook is favorable for 2015. Political stability since January, increase in remittance inflows, expected recovery in exports following a weak start, and a buoyant consumption demand than last year, bode well for growth in FY15, which is projected at 6.2 percent. Macroeconomic stability, improved governance in banking system, market development for long term financing, trade liberalization, and stronger attention to efficient implementation of infrastructure investments remain key factors in this process. Underlying inflationary pressures are expected to maintain a downward trend on continued policy restraint. Achieving this will depend on international price trends, domestic supply conditions and macroeconomic policies.

What needs to be done in the near term to sustain growth?

Stronger attention is needed to complete the transition in garments including implementing wage increases and the new labor legislations, recruiting more factory inspectors and completing building inspections followed by remediation measures such as relocation of closed garments factories. Priority should be on completing the ongoing road development projects, i.e. Dhaka-Chittagong and Dhaka-Mymensingh highway; Double Tracking of Dhaka-Chittagong Railway; the Padma Bridge; Dhaka metro rail; and the two Bibiyana gas field based power plants. Immediate action should be taken to enact the Public Private Partnership (PPP) law, and awarding contracts for building Special Economic Zones (SEZs).

The Bangladesh Development Update: Economy Progressing, but Below Potential

Now tell me who is poor?
25% of poor in BD are under poverty line. That is 40 million people.
They earn less than $1.13 per day. Which is 69.26 indian rupee.

Indian poor population earn less than Rs 32 in villages, Rs 47 in cities.
Now indian poor population below poverty line is 363 million
That is more than double the number of total population of BD.
Even those people whom are above poverty line earn less than many of the poor in BD.
Now come up on standard definition of poverty line by world bank which is $1.13 a day per capita.
Then there will be 140 million more added on this list.
Which is around 500 million total Indian population below poverty line.
That number is more than three times bigger the number of BD population.

Now Indian people always mock us Bangladeshis saying us poor. First look in your face in mirror.
And tie your dirty dhoti, we are no match for your extreme poverty.

New poverty line: Rs 32 in villages, Rs 47 in cities - The Times of India
363,000,000 people in India below the poverty line - Rediff.com Business

Now kiddo tell me who is more poor?
@Arya Desa

BD will soon surpass india in per capita but i am worried about possible illegal indians influx into BD

i believe the govt of Bangladesh should take the possible refugee crisis from into account

BD will soon surpass india in per capita but i am worried about possible illegal indians influx into BD

i believe the govt of Bangladesh should take the possible refugee crisis from into account
You bet. My company tried to sell call center solution to a company, taking orders and delivering food Order food online | Food delivery Bangladesh | foodpanda But alas, when I gone to meet the owner, he is an Indian and all of his call center employees are Indian. I dont think our foreign investment laws cover his business neither he has any licensing to start with nor he transfered any dollar through legal channel. He is just there. :)

You bet. My company tried to sell call center solution to a company, taking orders and delivering food Order food online | Food delivery Bangladesh | foodpanda But alas, when I gone to meet the owner, he is an Indian and all of his call center employees are Indian. I dont think our foreign investment laws cover his business neither he has any licensing to start with nor he transfered any dollar through legal channel. He is just there. :)

Then, why dont you report it? In fact, you should report it to foodpanda, the global company. Since you approached them, you surely know that its an international brand and your exposing this may result in them cancelling the franchise in your country, correct?

If not, and since you say his business is illegal and he has no license, did you complain to the authorities in your country? Did they not take any action? Have you checked the 'dollar transfers' of that channel before suggesting its illegal?

Influx of illegal Indians is already taking place in Bangladesh, Bangladesh is the fifth highest source of remittance to India: 15 Nations Sending Highest Remittances to India - Page 2

It has even compelled the government to, for the first time, prepare a comprehensive data on the foreigners working in Bangladesh. Govt preparing data on foreigners working in BD | FIRST PAGE | Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

Besides, even the Indian government acknowledges that Bangladesh hosts one of the largest Indian diaspora population.

Influx of illegal Indians is already taking place in Bangladesh, Bangladesh is the fifth highest source of remittance to India: 15 Nations Sending Highest Remittances to India - Page 2

It has even compelled the government to, for the first time, prepare a comprehensive data on the foreigners working in Bangladesh. Govt preparing data on foreigners working in BD | FIRST PAGE | Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

Besides, even the Indian government acknowledges that Bangladesh hosts one of the largest Indian diaspora population.

Don't quote a random site for proof. Provide links to some credible source.

Now tell me who is poor?
25% of poor in BD are under poverty line. That is 40 million people.
They earn less than $1.13 per day. Which is 69.26 indian rupee.

Indian poor population earn less than Rs 32 in villages, Rs 47 in cities.
Now indian poor population below poverty line is 363 million
That is more than double the number of total population of BD.
Even those people whom are above poverty line earn less than many of the poor in BD.
Now come up on standard definition of poverty line by world bank which is $1.13 a day per capita.
Then there will be 140 million more added on this list.
Which is around 500 million total Indian population below poverty line.
That number is more than three times bigger the number of BD population.

Now Indian people always mock us Bangladeshis saying us poor. First look in your face in mirror.
And tie your dirty dhoti, we are no match for your extreme poverty.

New poverty line: Rs 32 in villages, Rs 47 in cities - The Times of India
363,000,000 people in India below the poverty line - Rediff.com Business

Now kiddo tell me who is more poor?
@Arya Desa

Do you know both the countries have set up poverty line based on PPP?
World bank standard is $1.25, PPP
And in 2011, 24.7% were under that line.
Poverty & Equity Data | India | The World Bank
Bangladesh | Data

Which one is looking unreliable to you?

Siliconindia is a Bangalore based leading magazine while Financial express is one of the major English dailies in Bangladesh.

Here is another link from Yahoo! Finance: Nations sending highest remittances to India | Rupee fall: NRIs in these nations must be happy! - Yahoo India Finance
All are quoting a world bank report:
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/...8990760745/MigrationandDevelopmentBrief21.pdf
Read it and tell me where does it says Bangladesh sends 5 billion in remittance to India. Rather, I can only find that:
An
estimated 3.2 million Bangladesh born migrants are living in India, making this the largest South-South migration corridor.

All are quoting a world bank report:
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/...8990760745/MigrationandDevelopmentBrief21.pdf
Read it and tell me where does it says Bangladesh sends 5 billion in remittance to India. Rather, I can only find that:

It is a general overview on global migration and remittance how could you expect it to give detail info for each country? The link doesn't even mention the remittance figures from US, UK and KSA to India so does it mean those countries are not sending any remittance to India?

An
estimated 3.2 million Bangladesh born migrants are living in India, making this the largest South-South migration corridor.

As I said earlier, it only says Bangladeshi born migrants, could be refugees during 1947 partition of India or the 1971 war, not recent migrants!

Do you know both the countries have set up poverty line based on PPP?
World bank standard is $1.25, PPP
And in 2011, 24.7% were under that line.
Bangladesh | Data

India's poverty threshold is 538.60 rupees (approximately USD $12) per month for urban dwellers and 356.35 rupees per month (approximately USD $7.50) for rural dwellers. http://planningcommission.gov.in/news/prmar07.pdf

It is a general overview on global migration and remittance how could you expect it to give detail info for each country? The link doesn't even mention the remittance figures from US, UK and KSA to India so does it mean those countries are not sending any remittance to India?

As I said earlier, it only says Bangladeshi born migrants, could be refugees during 1947 partition of India or the 1971 war, not recent migrants!

Because this is the report all those news sources, from silicon India to Yahoo finance are quoting. Either it is in the report, all the news sources are quoting bullsh*t. And if you use common sense, the supposed 500,000 Indians sending back $3.7 billion would mean about $8000 per person. What kind of work are they doing, certainly not cheap labor?!

India's poverty threshold is 538.60 rupees (approximately USD $12) per month for urban dwellers and 356.35 rupees per month (approximately USD $7.50) for rural dwellers. http://planningcommission.gov.in/news/prmar07.pdf
2007 report. Besides, planning commission has certain indicators to measure poverty.
I thought you would find international system to be more agreeable? Cause the Indian line would be very low!

Last edited:
Because this is the report all those news sources, from silicon India to Yahoo finance are quoting. Either it is in the report, all the news sources are quoting bullsh*t. And if you use common sense, the supposed 500,000 Indians sending back $3.7 billion would mean about $8000 per person. What kind of work are they doing, certainly not cheap labor?!

500,000 is not the actual figure but a loose estimate by a government official few years back, the comment came when some Bangladeshi MPs were confronted with questions on illegal immigration issue by the Indian journalists during their tour to India, the figure is surely underestimated. Bangladesh government has no official figure for foreign workers as of now and is preparing a comprehensive data on this issue. Some even estimates there are 1.2 million illegal Indians in Bangladesh (like this source) which also underestimated.

Also, as I said, the Indian government itself acknowledges that Bangladesh hosts one of the largest Indian diaspora population.

https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/2228/9780821389720.pdf "

"According to Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA), India has the second largest diaspora in the world, with around 25 million people living in 110 countries. The overseas Indians are divided into Non Resident Indians (NRI) whose main destination countries are Bangladesh, Canada, Kuwait, Nepal, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, the UAE, the UK and the US and people of Indian origin (POI) who live permanently in countries like Malaysia, Mauritius and Myanmar."

According to the same report some 21% of the Non Resident Indians are living in South Asian countries, that's about 5-6 million Indians, now it can easily be said Bangladesh could host atleast 4 million of them. And the report is from 2009, so consider the figure lot higher.

2007 report. Besides, planning commission has certain indicators to measure poverty.
I thought you would find international system to be more agreeable? Cause the Indian line would be very low!

World Bank uses the national poverty thresholds for the respective countries while measuring poverty rates.

500,000 is not the actual figure but a loose estimate by a government official few years back, the comment came when some Bangladeshi MPs were confronted with questions on illegal immigration issue by the Indian journalists during their tour to India, the figure is surely underestimated. Bangladesh government has no official figure for foreign workers as of now and is preparing a comprehensive data on this issue. Some even estimates there are 1.2 million illegal Indians in Bangladesh (like this source) which also underestimated.

Also, as I said, the Indian government itself acknowledges that Bangladesh hosts one of the largest Indian diaspora population.

https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/2228/9780821389720.pdf "

"According to Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA), India has the second largest diaspora in the world, with around 25 million people living in 110 countries. The overseas Indians are divided into Non Resident Indians (NRI) whose main destination countries are Bangladesh, Canada, Kuwait, Nepal, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, the UAE, the UK and the US and people of Indian origin (POI) who live permanently in countries like Malaysia, Mauritius and Myanmar."

According to the same report some 21% of the Non Resident Indians are living in South Asian countries, that's about 5-6 million Indians, now it can easily be said Bangladesh could host atleast 4 million of them. And the report is from 2009, so consider the figure lot higher.
16. Bangladesh 10012 10000 12
http://moia.gov.in/writereaddata/pdf/NRISPIOS-Data(15-06-12)new.pdf

Ministry of Overseas Indian affairs report that you quoted. According to this report barely 10000 Indians are in BD!

World Bank uses the national poverty thresholds for the respective countries while measuring poverty rates.
Poverty headcount ratio at $1.25 a day (PPP) (% of population)
32.7% 2010 24.7% 2011

Poverty headcount ratio at $1.25 a day (PPP) (% of population)
50.5% 2005 43.3% 2010
Poverty & Equity Data | Bangladesh | The World Bank

Back
Top Bottom