What's new

Task Force-88 (for the seaward security of Gwadar port)

They are useful, but Iran opted for them during the sanction years when they had no surface force available to them.
The Navy is all about war at sea and not the coast.
So coastal defence comes under..........?

Do we operate coastal batteries? Last time I remember, we did. Is that not the case anymore?

So coastal defence comes under..........?

Do we operate coastal batteries? Last time I remember, we did. Is that not the case anymore?

PN never operated any coastal defence batteries.

Defence over land is the Army's responsibility.

Seaward defence is PN's responsibility.

chinese_s_1481531327.jpg

Chinese ships to be deployed at Gwadar: Senior Official (IMage; Reuters)

Equipped with ships, fast attack boats, aircraft, drones and surveillance assets, Pakistan has assembled a special forces group called ‘Task Force 88’, to guard the Gawdar port, the focal point of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor.

Marines would be deployed at sea and around Gwadar for security operations, Dawnquoted Chairman Parliamentary Committee on CPEC Senator Mushahid Hussain as saying Monday.

“The task force would be a force multiplier for overall security of CPEC. The land route has already been secured by Special Security Division and now Gwadar, the centrepiece of CPEC, will also be safe and secure,” Hussain said.

TF-88 would be commissioned this week.

“Pakistan Navy is ensuring maritime security of CPEC and Gwadar port through the deployment of available assets,” the navy officer said while talking to Dawn about the new force. “We are fully cognisant of the challenges to security of CPEC and Gwadar port.” Challenges to Pakistan’s maritime security have traditionally come from India. But Chinese involvement in Gwadar port and launch of CPEC has complicated the security environment. India sees Gwadar as a foothold for China in the Arabian Sea and as a counter-strategy to threats at Malacca. Therefore, India is alleged to have stepped up its activities in the broader region surrounding Gwadar to undermine the project.

The creation of the special maritime force had been necessitated by the operationalization of China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, which is expected to lead to a surge in maritime activity at Gwadar — the nodal point for CPEC — and the sea lanes.

This has in turn increased the maritime susceptibilities there.

The botched attempt by an Indian submarine to intrude into Pakistani waters when shipping activity under CPEC began at Gwadar last month has been pointed out by Pakistani observers as an indicator of Indian intentions.

Similarly, it is feared that the CPEC maritime traffic may face non-traditional threats, which include maritime terrorism, drugs and arms trafficking, human smuggling and piracy. The region is already grappling with most of these problems.

Presence of extra-regional forces and their interests, which could be threatened by the new port, heavily factored in the consideration of Pakistani strategists, who developed threat perception and strategised the responses.

The complex security scenario, it is said, increases risks for the sea traffic because of which cost of insurance of the cargo has gone up exponentially.

Security is undoubtedly a crucial factor for the success of CPEC, but the Chinese government has been very particular about it. Chinese officials have invariably insisted in their interactions with Pakistani interlocutors on provision of safe and secure environment for the corridor.

It should be recalled that the fourth Pak-China joint naval exercise held in November, which was aimed at promoting maritime security and stability in the region, specifically focused on challenges to CPEC in security domain. Navy has also raised a Coastal Security and Harbour Defence Force for tackling threats along the coast and stationed a Force Protection Battalion at Gwadar for protection of Chinese workers.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/17...orces_Group_To_Guard_Gawdar_Port#.WE53XeZ95PY

The Navy is all about war at sea and not the coast.

Sir, I agree with it but I hope that you are not trying to downplay the importance of Coastal Base Anti Ship Missiles Batteries specially in Pakistan's scenario ....

In my understanding (which may be wrong) Coastal Base Anti Ship Missiles Batteries having a rang of 600+ KM could play a vital role in employment of Pakistani version of A2/AD package for the defense of Gawadar port as well as the defense of most of the EEZ (up to 350-400 KM from coast line); this range would give us flexibility of placing any such batteries at 200-250 Km inside coastal line which will present a challenging area for IN of over 100,000+ sq. km to search, track & to take them down

The distance from different Town/Cities of Coast of Baluchistan to the Coast of Oman is around

Pakistani Coastal Town/City --- Town/City of Oman Cost --- Distance
Jiwani --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Sur --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 360+Km

Gawadar --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Sur --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 400+KM

Pasni --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Sur --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 500+ Km

Omara--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Sur --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 600+KM

PN never operated any coastal defence batteries.
Defence over land is the Army's responsibility.

plz clarify few months back it was PN which conducted long range Antiship missile test from the coast name Zarb

KARACHI: Pakistan Navy today successfully test-fired Zarb missile and senior ranking officers, including Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Zakaullah reviewed the test launch.

According to Pak Navy spokesperson, the missile test fired from the coastal areas successfully hit its target.

He said the new missile system will enhance the capabilities of Pakistan Navy.

http://nation.com.pk/national/09-Apr-2016/pak-navy-successfully-test-fires-zarb-missile

Last edited:
What about intriguing LAND BASED MEDIUM/LONG LARGE SAM+ AShM systems and MIDGET SUBMARINES , as well?

Last edited:
Sir, I agree with it but I hope that you are not trying to downplay the importance of Coastal Base Anti Ship Missiles Batteries specially in Pakistan's scenario ....

In my understanding (which may be wrong) Coastal Base Anti Ship Missiles Batteries having a rang of 600+ KM could play a vital role in employment of Pakistani version of A2/AD package for the defense of Gawadar port as well as the defense of most of the EEZ (up to 350-400 KM from coast line); this range would give us flexibility of placing any such batteries at 200-250 Km inside coastal line which will present a challenging area for IN of over 100,000+ sq. km to search, track & to take them down

The distance from different Town/Cities of Coast of Baluchistan to the Coast of Oman is around

Pakistani Coastal Town/City --- Town/City of Oman Cost --- Distance
Jiwani --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Sur --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 360+Km

Gawadar --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Sur --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 400+KM

Pasni --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Sur --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 500+ Km

Omara--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Sur --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 600+KM

plz clarify few months back it was PN which conducted long range Antiship missile test from the coast name Zarb

I am not downplaying the importance of coastal missile defence, but the priority of the Navy is to ensure seaward defence first and foremost.

Zarb has been tested, but has not been deployed.
Previously PN never had missile batteries.

I am not downplaying the importance of coastal missile defence, but the priority of the Navy is to ensure seaward defence first and foremost.

Zarb has been tested, but has not been deployed.
Previously PN never had missile batteries.
Hypothetically speaking, IF Pakistani Armed Forces were to deploy CMB's - Coastal Missile Batteries, would it be under PN or PA?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom