What's new

Tajik envoy announces completion of Pakistan-Tajikistan road link

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD - Newly appointed Tajik envoy to Islamabad Sherali Jononov on Wednesday said that Tajikistan was interested in Pakistan’s Gawadar port, adding that Tajikistan government had completed Pakistan-Tajikistan road link work of their side.

Talking to journalists at the Tajikistan embassy, he urged the international community to establish peace in post-US Afghanistan through dialogue.

The newly appointed Tajik ambassador Sherali Jononov said that Tajikistan had always supported the option of dialogue to resolve the problems in Afghanistan and to maintain peace in the region.

Jononov said that the issue could not be redressed by use of force from any side and ultimate solution of the issue was possible only through dialogue.

To a question, the Tajik envoy said that Tajikistan was interested in the completion of the Pakistani port of Gawadar as it would prove the shortest way to trade with the international community. Responding a query, he said the Pakistan-Tajikistan road link development work had been completed. He expressed the hope that Pakistan would complete their side of the road as well.

Earlier, the ambassador of Tajikistan told journalists that his country took an initiative in December 2010, in support of other countries, following which United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution declaring the current year as the International Year of Water Cooperation.

Elaborating further, Sherali Jononov was of the view that for the implementation of water-related internationally agreed development goals, and sharing of best practices on cooperation among various water users, the Tajik government was hosting a high-level international conference on water cooperation under auspices of the UN in Dushanbe by August this year.

He said that the conference would be a two-day event in which the high-level representatives from the member countries would participate.

The ambassador maintained that during the international conference two high-level plenary sessions and four round table discussions would be made amid promoting water cooperation as well as resettling the water issues.

He said that the construction of hydropower plants and the creation of reservoirs in narrow mountain valleys would have minimal impact on the climate, environment and would save water from evaporation, which was critical in account of global warming challenges.

Tajik envoy announces completion of Pakistan-Tajikistan road link | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

What kind of Pakistan is Will be allowed to pass through, north of Afghanistan ?

I wonder why we couldn't get that little Afghan strip on to our side. We could have had a border with Tajikistan...

Map_Afghan_Pak_1.gif

Another gas line....But excellent news. A trade passage ...wonder why India so much interested in relations with Pakistan .....May a patch from China or Pakistan army already controlling Wahkhan area ...so most probably road pass through that area.

I wonder why we couldn't get that little Afghan strip on to our side. We could have had a border with Tajikistan...

Map_Afghan_Pak_1.gif

Many an international misadventure has started with a quip like that.

(Actually, there was a time when Afghanistan "gave" the Wakhan strip to the now-dead USSR, causing many sleepless nights in the GHQ.)

Next mile stone should be Pak-Tajik gas pipeline!

I often wonder about the same thing... I hope we can pull it off somehow.

Map_Afghan_Pak_1.gif

I had once post my opinion here that wakhan should be purchased by GoP from GoA just like Gwadar was.

I had once post my opinion here that wakhan should be purchased by GoP from GoA just like Gwadar was.

Will the Afghans agree to put up Wakhan for sale? What if India decides to bid for it too, thereby claiming a direct border based on its claim to Kashmir?

Easier said than done, Sir.

I often wonder about the same thing... I hope we can pull it off somehow.

Would you like to speculate what that "somehow" might entail, and what possible ramifications it would entail?

Next mile stone should be Pak-Tajik gas pipeline!

Any pipeline across the Karakorums is a pipedream.

Will the Afghans agree to put up Wakhan for sale? What if India decides to bid for it too, thereby claiming a direct border based on its claim to Kashmir?

Easier said than done, Sir.

Would you like to speculate what that "somehow" might entail, and what possible ramifications it would entail?

Direct sale between Pakistan and Afghanistan does not involve bidding by third-party. We can ask nicely... or we can leave them to rot in their tents.

Pakistanis have habit of giving unneccessary importance to india.

It is understandable given the many wars and directly adversarial overt and covert policies pursued by both sides since both countries were given independence by UK. In the present circumstances, Indian influence in Afghanistan is growing, much to our chagrin. Pakistan can ignore India only to its peril.

Back
Top Bottom