Taiwanese, Hong Kongers identify less with China

William Hung

Reaction score
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2014/10/23/20036027

Home / Front Page
Thu, Oct 23, 2014 - Page 1 News List

Taiwanese, Hong Kongers identify less with China
By William Lowther / Staff reporter in WASHINGTON

In Taiwan and Hong Kong, residents are identifying less and less as Chinese — a trend that is troubling Beijing, according to a new study by American Enterprise Institute research fellow Michael Mazza.

“The study, published this week in American Enterprise Institute journal The American, says that regular surveys on identity in Taiwan and Hong Kong reveal “long-term trends that must be troubling to the mandarins in Beijing.”

Mazza says that in Hong Kong, those identifying themselves as Hong Kongers significantly outnumber those identifying themselves as Chinese and that the divergence seems to be growing.

In Taiwan, 60.4 percent self-identify as Taiwanese, while only 32.7 percent identify as both Taiwanese and Chinese, he said, adding that: “A measly 3.5 percent identified as Chinese.”

Comment: Although this article was published by a major Taiwanese news outlet, I'm not sure who this Mazza guy is.

@Kolaps

Rubbish! If they "identifying less and less as Chinese" who they're identifying as? Whites, Africans or Arabs?

As far as I know all Chinese identify themselves as Chinese, just like Vietnamese call themselves Vietnamese. Another western pundit thinks he knows the Chinese better than the Chinese.

Rubbish is right.. Below is a recent poll

Majority of Taiwanese see themselves as ethnically Chinese: poll | Politics | FOCUS TAIWAN - CNA ENGLISH NEWS

Majority of Taiwanese see themselves as ethnically Chinese: poll
2014/09/04 17:01:18

Taipei, Sept. 4 (CNA) A vast majority of the Taiwanese people polled in a recent survey see themselves as ethnically Chinese, the pollster said Thursday.

Some 87 percent of the repondents said they think of themselves as part of the ethnic Chinese community, said Taiwan Competitiveness Forum CEO Hsieh Ming-hui, citing the results of the latest survey conducted by the local think tank.

Meanwhile, the portion of Taiwanese people who believe they are actually Chinese rose to 53 percent, the results show.

According to Hsieh, the results show that the impact of a massive movement against an agreement to open Taiwan's service sector to Chinese investment in March and April has faded.

Speaking at a seminar in Taipei in which he unveiled the poll results, Hsieh urged the government to seize on the growing amity toward China and continue its push to improve two-way ties, and he expressed hope for progress in the trade-in-services deal and a subsequent trade-in-goods agreement with China.

The survey also showed that over half of those polled think that if the opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) wants to produce cross-strait policies that appeal to the majority of Taiwanese people, it will have to adjust its pro-Taiwan independence stance.

Hsieh also said it is imperative for the DPP to garner support from locals who believe they are ethnically Chinese to win the 2016 presidential election.

Lin Chin-yuan, an associate professor of economics at Tamkang University who attended the seminar, echoed Hsieh's opinion, but said that it might take defeat in 2016 to compel the DPP to make the adjustments.

Chiu Yi, a board member of the Taiwan Institute of Economic Research, another think tank, dismissed the urgency for a DPP policy change, saying that the major opposition party can win the presidential vote against the ruling Kuomintang even without such a shift, as the KMT administration has been performing so poorly.

Chiu, who was also at the seminar, said the DPP needs to face up to the "reality" in cross-strait relations should it be returned to power two years from now. He did not elaborate.

The survey on Taiwanese people's ethnic indentity in the quarter ending in August was based on 1,078 valid samples collected from people over the age of 20.

It had a confidence level of 95 percent and a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

(By Chen Wei-ting and Scully Hsiao)

What a bunch of bullsh*t by the "American Enterprise Institute". :rofl:

I am a Hong Konger, my family was one of the first to arrive here centuries ago, so we are considered Hong Kong natives.

If we are not ethnically, linguistically, culturally Chinese, then what the f*ck else are we? African?

Sure, people identify as "Hong Kongers", which implies Chinese nationality, ethnicity and language. Same as a "Beijinger" would imply Chinese nationality, ethnicity and language. It takes either a retarded mind or some really sinister politics to claim that being a Hong Konger is anything except Chinese, for anyone who has spent even 5 minutes in this city.

Taiwanese can call themselves martians for what we care. But we will never allow that island to go independent because it will turn into another military base against us. That's the bottom line and can never be changed.

To bobsm, hope you didn't interpret my previous post as insult. I was just stating a political view of the situation. The unification may never happen, but independence will never happen.

I wouldn't be worried until they change their country's name "Republic of China".

Taiwanese can call themselves martians for what we care. But we will never allow that island to go independent because it will turn into another military base against us. That's the bottom line and can never be changed.

To bobsm, hope you didn't interpret my previous post as insult. I was just stating a political view of the situation. The unification may never happen, but independence will never happen.

No insult was felt, for your statement is correct. If the island should ever become independent, it will be used not only against the mainland, but Chinese unity. As for unification, it will happen. It is just a question of when and not if. When it happens within my lifetime, I'm sure I won't be the only Taiwanese to celebrate.

What a bunch of bullsh*t by the "American Enterprise Institute". :rofl:

I am a Hong Konger, my family was one of the first to arrive here centuries ago, so we are considered Hong Kong natives.

If we are not ethnically, linguistically, culturally Chinese, then what the f*ck else are we? African?

Sure, people identify as "Hong Kongers", which implies Chinese nationality, ethnicity and language. Same as a "Beijinger" would imply Chinese nationality, ethnicity and language. It takes either a retarded mind or some really sinister politics to claim that being a Hong Konger is anything except Chinese, for anyone who has spent even 5 minutes in this city.

Yep, as you, our family has been here for over 300 years. As with many Taiwanese here, we still have our family tree book that traces our family history to the mainland, even with the original street address.

We will reclaim it under the name of PRC.

Yes. We have no choice anyway.

Otherwise Chinese Taipei will be forever used by the Hanjian to contain us, on behalf of foreign powers.

The geography makes it necessary. Anyone who is not happy living under Chinese rule is welcome to leave China, they can jump into the sea and swim.

有本事,解放军过去台湾插根旗。现在连金门都拿不下,还弄个全军覆没。

I say flood Hong Kong with Chinese from the Mainland and soon the problem will simply go away ! :unsure:

And ban Cantonese speakers like @Chinese-Dragon from speaking unless whatever they say they do so in Mandarin ! :whistle:

I say flood Hong Kong with Chinese from the Mainland and soon the problem will simply go away ! :unsure:

No problem for me. Mainland girls are so beautiful. :smitten:

And ban Cantonese speakers like @Chinese-Dragon from speaking unless whatever they say they do so in Mandarin ! :whistle:

Dear brother Armstrong, my Mandarin is very good. Almost as good as my Cantonese. :P

English is the one I have a problem with, especially the vocabulary. Oddly enough my grammar is not too bad.

Many happiness.
Much interesting.
Very grammar. :cheesy:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom