What's new

Strategy World reports on the exclusive JF-17 package for RSAF

It would be something if the Saudis bought the JF-17.

Basically the JF-17 Block 1 & 2 are meant to replace the older types the likes of Mirages, MiGs with added capabilities however Block-3 is meant to be a world stage player, the likes of RSAF are keen to acquire those capabilities to supplement the likes of their Eagles and Typhoons in large numbers. I would say, JF-17 has a very bright future ahead.

It would be something if the Saudis bought the JF-17.
i think its more then likely they will get it, infact i expect both Qatar and Saudis to operate the jf17 in the next 5 years.

why the saudis want the jf17:
1) all 3 of their current fighters Typhoon, F15 strike eagle, Tornados are twin engine deep strike aircraft bought for incase their is war with Iran. the maintenance, weapons package, flying cost of these planes are huge, so using them in Yemen is really a waste of time, money and essentially you are killing your flying time of the fighters by using them against rebels. This is why a single engine jf17 fits the bill perfectly for the Saudis, as its a cost effective way of gaining advantages in yemen.

2) The west might or might not but ban on weapon transfer during times of war, the jf17 is the only saudi fighter which won't have any problems accusing weapons in time of conflict

i think its more then likely they will get it, infact i expect both Qatar and Saudis to operate the jf17 in the next 5 years.

why the saudis want the jf17:
1) all 3 of their current fighters Typhoon, F15 strike eagle, Tornados are twin engine deep strike aircraft bought for incase their is war with Iran. the maintenance, weapons package, flying cost of these planes are huge, so using them in Yemen is really a waste of time, money and essentially you are killing your flying time of the fighters by using them against rebels. This is why a single engine jf17 fits the bill perfectly for the Saudis, as its a cost effective way of gaining advantages in yemen.

2) The west might or might not but ban on weapon transfer during times of war, the jf17 is the only saudi fighter which won't have any problems accusing weapons in time of conflict

Those are some excellent reasons. Makes perfect sense. Let's hope the deal gets through.

Basically the JF-17 Block 1 & 2 are meant to replace the older types the likes of Mirages, MiGs with added capabilities however Block-3 is meant to be a world stage player, the likes of RSAF are keen to acquire those capabilities to supplement the likes of their Eagles and Typhoons in large numbers. I would say, JF-17 has a very bright future ahead.

Sir ji!
آپ کے منہ میں گھی شکر

IF KSA buys the JF-17, my gut feeling is that they will go for other hardware as well. It won't just stop at this.

they don't really need another fighter other then a new single engine jet for yemen type of operations. unless they plan on buying a 5th generation fighter.

so in the single engine market they are left with, f16, gripen or jf17.

Gripen is a dud because of the numerous manufacturers you have to deal with to get maintainance and systems, f16 the best and most advance but will have to deal with sanctions and possibly a kill switch. so jf17 becomes their only and most beneficial option

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom