What's new

Strategic Importance of Siachen

alok mishra

Reaction score
“I took over as Corps Commander in 03 Aug 1983. In Sep-Oct, I briefed Prime Minister Indira Gandhi about the strategic importance of Siachen and Pak design to capture Khardungla and dominate Leh by bringing artillery and rockets etc. in Nubra valley and then link up with Chinese at Aksai Chin.”
– Lt Gen PN Hoon, GOC 15 Corps

Preception-Maps1.jpg

An incorrect and farfetched appreciation thus landed India into occupation of Siachen Glacier or more correctly Saltoro Ridge in April 1984. It was realised only later that no large scale military operations can be carried out by either side across Saltoro Ridge and Siachen Glacier. This bleeding ulcer has cost us nearly 20,000 casualties in over twenty years and an estimated daily expenditure of two crores. Lt Gen ML Chibber, who was Northern Army Commander at the time of occupation of Siachen, realized, but alas much later that occupation of Saltoro was a mistake.
“India’s military occupation of Saltoro passes in spring 1948 was meant only to deter the Pakistanis from getting there first. The Indian Army had no plans for permanent occupation. At the end of the day, the Siachen conflict was a mistake.”
– Lt Gen ML Chibber in June 1990

Strategic Importance of Siachen

Siachen may have been occupied due to faulty military appreciation but notwithstanding that, its strategic significance is outlined by the following:-
Saltoro Ridge occupation is staking our claim beyond NJ 9842 in the event of an eventual settlement along the Line of Control and the Actual Ground Position Line. Let us remember that possession is nine-tenths of the law.

*India has always claimed that the entire state of J&K including Northern Areas acceded to India on 26 Oct 1947. Occupation of Saltoro is therefore occupation of Indian territory by the Indian Army. It is non-negotiable.
*If the line joining NJ 9842 to Indira Col i.e, the line along Saltoro Ridge is extended to Indo – Tibet boundary, major part of Saksgam Valley illegally ceded to China by Pakistan in 1963 will fall into Indian Kashmir. Chinese will therefore have to negotiate with India for settlement of Saksgam valley since they have steadfastly maintained that status of Saksgam Valley will be decided on eventual settlement of J&K problem.
*It needs to be remembered that the origin of Siachen dispute lies in the fact that both the Karachi Agreement of 1949 and the Shimla Agreement of 1972 have left the status of Indo-Pak boundary vague North of Pt NJ 9842. While the Karachi Agreement says “From Pt NJ 9842, the ceasefire line will run Northwards to the Glaciers”, Shimla Agreement does not even make a mention of it. This is inexcusable.

Pak View Point
*If the alignment of Line of control just prior to NJ 9842 is extended, it will run in a North Easterly direction to Karakoram Pass.
*India has altered the status of line of control by its occupation of Saltoro Ridge.

Indian View Point
*Since the alignment of Line of Control just prior to NJ 9842 was altered by Pak by its occupation of Gyong Glacier in 1984, Pak argument of Line of control extending North Eastwards to Karakoram Pass is not tenable.
*Since the Line of Control does not extend beyond NJ 9842, Pak argument that India has altered the status of Line of Control by occupation of Saltoro Ridge is not valid either.

Read More

Reconfirmation of how genious Musharraf was, who changed the Indian army's text books for ever.

No doubt, Musharraf will live as a legend in worlds military history, incl. Pakistan.

Reconfirmation of how genious Musharraf was, who changed the Indian army's text books for ever.

No doubt, Musharraf will live as a legend in worlds military history, incl. Pakistan.

Where does Mushy come into in a thread about Siachen?? If at all, it was his 1st big defeat against India when he as a Brigadier Gen was tasked to take back Siachen area from Indian control and lost miserably...

Where does Mushy come into in a thread about Siachen??

pervez_musharraf_02.jpg

If at all, it was his 1st big defeat against India when he as a Brigadier Gen was tasked to take back Siachen area from Indian control and lost miserably...

I see you guys are embarresed to mention Kargil,, therefore mentin Siachin.

Look at the posted map and put your finger to Kargil.

pervez_musharraf_02.jpg

What was awesome that you guys did n Kargil? None of your objectives were achieved. What was your out put? What profit did the war give you? What was the use for throwing away so many lives? You guys started the war and what did you guys achieve? Gen. Musharaff, was a brilliant soldier and officer i agree but Kargil was a huge mistake on his part. he himself has stated he under-estimated Indian response.

pervez_musharraf_02.jpg

You want us to talk about Kargil?? Sure.........
100% area under Indian control, very peaceful, many trekking expeditions in the area, also river rafting is a popular activity here..........
any more info??

You are absolutely correct!! He taught the 17.9% o the world's population, not to trust pakistan ever............very crucial lesson I must say!!!
We were indeed stupid to think of Peace............but Musharraf gave us a much needed lesson, and now we will be vary of repeating our mistake again..........

^^ Now go back to subject and try differentiate Kargil from Siachin on map.

Fact is that Kargil (how ever part of Siachin) was no stretigic in eyes of Indian army untill Musharraf invaded with handful vs. world XI

^^ Now go back to subject and try differentiate Kargil from Siachin on map.

sure...

d/dx ((siachen-kargil)/map) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

seriously trolling....

by the way...

map of kashmir...

arton2026.jpg

your point is???????

Wish people get their facts correct, Siachen and Kargil are not same. if only people could understand the maps

pervez_musharraf_02.jpg

What about Kargil?? Mushy tried to replay Siachen to avenge his embarrassment and ended up embarrassing Pakistan even more.. Specially after he was taped and exposed in front of the whole world. Your Prime minister was summoned to Washington and was given a whipping he probably still remembers and as per your own PM of that time, you lost 4000+ of your men a lot of whom you had to disown as terrorists..

^^Tapes :no:
Indians always find some thing to to hold on for the sake of their false ego.

Musharraf did was not his personal revenge,, if it was revenge than it was revenge on behalf of all country,, while he got your army with their pants down,,, hence this realization of strategic importance.
Before Kargil advent Sichin was not so strategic in your books, you had to call America to give you lessons to understand Musharraf's game plan.

sure...

d/dx ((siachen-kargil)/map) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

seriously trolling....

by the way...

map of kashmir...

arton2026.jpg

your point is???????

So do you see any thing between?
It is adjoining area and is strategically of common importance.
You can't have isolated Siachin with strategic importance while you leave Kargil un-attended.
Get over it, what your generals know today is a result of live demonstration of a Pakistani general.

Batman.

FORGIVE ME but i am i correct in suggesting that INDIA TODAY holds both Saichen glacier & Kargil heights.

Batman.

FORGIVE ME but i am i correct in suggesting that INDIA TODAY holds both Saichen glacier & Kargil heights.

all thanks to Mr. Bill Clinton.
Your army did nothing more than climbing... when ever it tried to fight they failed.
Now when our next general take it back don't cry foul.

Back
Top Bottom