What's new

Stick to English please!

Elmo

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Of late, we are getting reports of users posting in Urdu, Arabic, Turkish, and other regional languages.

While we do acknowledge that each language has its own nuances and unique uses of phrasing messages, given that we have an international audience, could all kindly stick to using English language only.

Anybody found posting in languages other than English in non-Members Club threads would be warned, and repeated violations may be lead to an infraction.

We look forward to your compliance on this matter.

@WebMaster @Awesome @Oscar @Zakii @TaimiKhan @Aeronaut @Jungibaaz @ANTIBODY @Rafael @Adios Amigo @T-Faz
@Deno @Hu Songshan @Loki @Neptune @Serpentine

Last edited by a moderator:
@Elmo request verified. We encourage members to stick on English. But I approved the use of Turkish at only "Turkish Food&Culture, News" thread.

my english is not that strong, some times i had to use one or more sentence of urdu to explain my point....And my posts are limited to pakistan affairs.

But Pakistan Affairs section is not limited to Pakistanis. Think of this as an opportunity to brush up your language skills.

@Elmo request verified. We encourage members to stick on English. But I approved the use of Turkish at only "Turkish Food&Culture, News" thread.

Please do not approve the use of Turkish in Food, Culture and News threads without making it clear that they cannot be made outside. I have had to delete a string of posts that made no sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record, earlier we have only allowed non-English posts in the Members Club but the spillover effect means we have them in mainstream threads with an international audience.

More often than not, users are making chit-chat type posts using language barriers as an excuse.

Are there any other issues that need to be addressed?

my english is not that strong, some times i had to use one or more sentence of urdu to explain my point....And my posts are limited to pakistan affairs.

One suggestion from my side. Please put an English translation after the Urdu sentence(s). The quality of language matters less than quality of the thought. That might work better with the management and nobody will be confused.

But Pakistan Affairs section is not limited to Pakistanis. Think of this as an opportunity to brush up your language skills.

Please do not approve the use of Turkish in Food, Culture and News threads without making it clear that they cannot be made outside. I have had to delete a string of posts that made no sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record, earlier we have only allowed non-English posts in the Members Club but the spillover effect means we have them in mainstream threads with an international audience.

More often than not, users are making chit-chat type posts using language barriers as an excuse.

Are there any other issues that need to be addressed?

It would be nice if everybody implemented the rules equally, but may be there are difficulties in following through, since the following post was made after the advice above? This just an observation, nothing more.

1) Babar Sattar buhat barrey scholar hongey lekin woh apney hadd mein rahein (something like that)
2) Without giving any counter arguments (which are very valid if you have read the article), he started giving impression that SC was being targeted for hearing EOBI case.
3) Watch a 20 min long Geo's transmission where they tried to destroy his integrity as if he was a criminal all without countering his arguments.

One suggestion from my side. Please put an English translation after the Urdu sentence(s). The quality of language matters less than quality of the thought. That might work better with the management and nobody will be confused.

Excellent suggestion!

It would be nice if everybody implemented the rules equally, but may be there are difficulties in following through, since the following post was made after the advice above? This just an observation, nothing more.

Thanks for pointing it out. @Rafael - you should not only paraphrase verbatim what someone said, but also provide a reasonable enough translation.

Its a good idea to adhere to English only rule, but the forum will lose some of its charm and vibrancy.
I doubt we got enough international reader to follow such rules strictly, the total number of international member (other than india and pakistan) will be less than 3 percent.
Even the unregistered users from outside of India/Pak will be mostly desi... :D

Anyway, I dont want to face the wrath of elmo. :) . I just need to be careful to see where the thread is(sometimes I even tried to post something in senior cafe without knowing)

I like that "turn of phrase", Argus. No point getting the Gracious Lady "all riled up". :)

Its a good idea to adhere to English only rule, but the forum will lose some of its charm and vibrancy.
I doubt we got enough international reader to follow such rules strictly, the total number of international member (other than india and pakistan) will be less than 3 percent.
Even the unregistered users from outside of India/Pak will be mostly desi... :D

Anyway, I dont want to face the wrath of elmo. :) . I just need to be careful to see where the thread is(sometimes I even tried to post something in senior cafe without knowing)

Boys! It's all right to be open.

I agree with what you stated, but we do have a considerable audience now from the Middle East and Americas.

It's about being open to them as well.

What about those who are too verbose, write English prose that nobody understands, create a page size posts and are completely inconsiderate to people like us (and americans too) , people talk about them in hushed voice but nobody raises a voice... against @Armstrong @Dillinger @Argus Panoptes @Secur etc. :girl_wacko:

Of late, we are getting reports of users posting in Urdu, Arabic, Turkish, and other regional languages.

While we do acknowledge that each language has its own nuances and unique uses of phrasing messages, given that we have an international audience, could all kindly stick to using English language only.

Anybody found posting in languages other than English in non-Members Club threads would be warned, and repeated violations may be lead to an infraction.

We look forward to your compliance on this matter.

@WebMaster @Awesome @Oscar @Zakii @TaimiKhan @Aeronaut @Jungibaaz @ANTIBODY @Rafael @Adios Amigo @T-Faz
@Deno @Hu Songshan @Loki @Neptune @Serpentine

Sure understood.

Back
Top Bottom