What's new

Sri Lanka Made Armoured personnel carrier

770278ea54bc22e5a2eee864495595bb.jpg

Russian 8x8 BTR-80A

On the BTR-80A (in service since 1994) and BTR-80S, the standard BTR-80 turret is replaced with a modular armaments system. The BTR-80A is fitted with a 30mm 2A72 automatic gun and 7.62mm PKT coaxial machine gun. The 30mm gun has a maximum firing rate of 330 rounds a minute and can fire AP-T (armour piercing - tracer), HEF-I (high-explosive fragmentation - incendiary) and HE-T (high-explosive - tracer) rounds. The BTR-80S is equipped with 14mm KPVT machine gun and 7.62mm PKT coaxial machine gun.For both these modifications, the armament system can be altered to fit customer requirements. The armament sighting system is manual. The fire control system includes a dual magnification day sight and x5.5 night sight.
BTR-80 Wheeled Armoured Personnel Carriers - Army Technology

- The BMP-3u is a russian tracked IFV
- The Kharkiv Morozov Machine Building Design Bureau of the Ukraine produces the BTR-3U armoured personnel carrier, initially known as BTR-94K. The BTR-3U is an upgrade of the BTR-80 and an improved version of the BTR-94. Also designated the Guardian (special version for UAE Marines with "Buran-N1" turret).
- List of current operators does not include Sri Lanka
- List of Sri Lankan army APCs/IFVs does not include this vehicle.

You Trust wikipedia? Is wikipedia gives true Information

You Trust wikipedia? Is wikipedia gives true Information

Googled "btr-3u" together with "sri lanka" and didn't find anything indicating Sri Lanka has this vehicle. Did find material to the contrary. If you have a better source which confirms that Sri Lanka owns and operates BTR-3U then please provide it (rather than make bland statements about wiki). If not, then go with the best available information (even if it is wiki), which is that Sri Lanka does not have this vehicle.

Last edited:
Googled "btr-3u" together with "sri lanka" and didn't find anything indicating Sri Lanka has this vehicle. Did find material to the contrary. If you have a better source which confirms that Sri Lanka owns and operates BTR3-U then please provide it (rather than make bland statements about wiki). If not, then go with the best available information (even if it is wiki), which is that Sri Lanka does not have this vehicle.

Find Your Self, Are you actually from Netherlands or India?

Find Your Self, Are you actually from Netherlands or India?

What are you implying? I think my profile speaks for itself.

What exactly would the problem be if Sri Lanka doesn't own BTR-3U? Again, please I invite you to provide information that would show me to be incorrect in that assertion, which I make on the basis of material available online. Have I in any way suggested anything bad about the country Sri Lanka? Or about the person who suggested - rightly or wrongly - that it owns BTR-3U. I think not. And so, I think this type of reaction is totally uncalled for.

I'm sorry but it is not my fault if you can't handle information that doesn't match your own and then - for lack of better sources and argument - resort to irrelevant innuendo. Good grief!

Every year Russia Provides Military Aid to Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka receives aid from a variety of sources, the most significant of which are the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and Japan. Japan alone reportedly accounts for more than 60% of Sri Lanka’s international aid. In addition to Japan, India and China are key bilateral donors due to their regional power and trade ties, respectively. Other bilateral donors, including the US, UK, and EU, have substantially less influence.
http://www.hrdc.net/sahrdc/hrfeatures/HRF167.htm

China’s aid to Sri Lanka jumped from a few million dollars in 2005 to almost $1 billion last year, replacing Japan as the biggest foreign donor. By comparison, the United States gave $7.4 million last year, and Britain just £1.25 million.

“That’s why Sri Lanka has been so dismissive of international criticism,” said B. Raman of the Chennai Centre for China Studies. “It knows it can rely on support from China.”
Chinese billions in Sri Lanka fund battle against Tamil Tigers - Times Online

Military aid: US out, enter Russia
Sunday, 23 December 2007 - 1:35 PM SL Time

In the wake of the United States Senate slashing military assistance to Sri Lanka, the Russian Federation has stepped in to fill the vacuum, sending the first ever top level military delegation to Colombo to discuss military cooperation. A diplomatic source touted the visit by the Russian delegation as a precursor to stepped up military cooperation with Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka POLITICS:: Military aid: US out, enter Russia

Annual russian military aid can be no more than the last 2 years, if any. More significant is Chinese military aid. As well as US and Indian aid in the past.

Back
Top Bottom