What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

Fans need to understand this is only a hearing about the provisional suspension, not about the actual charges.

The innocence or guilt of the players, who have denied any wrongdoing, will be judged at an independent tribunal in December.

You are right Gentle Typhoon, the hearing was only against suspension against playing till eviction or conviction against the charges of spot fixing.

ICC dismisses appeals of Amer, Salman

DUBAI: International Cricket Council (ICC) has dismissed the appeals filed by suspended Pakistan cricketers Salman Butt and Muhammed Amer on being alleged involved in spot-fixing scandal, Geo News reported Sunday.

Pakistani cricketers Salman Butt and Mohammad Amir had their provisional suspensions over allegations of spot-fixing upheld by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on Sunday.

"I have decided to dismiss the application... all three players accordingly are still for the time being unable to participate in cricketing activities " Michael Beloff, the head of the ICC's code of conduct commission told reporters in Dubai on Sunday after a two-day hearing.

The innocence or guilt of the players, who have denied any wrongdoing, will be judged at an independent tribunal, the date of which has yet to be set.

ICC dismisses appeals of Amer, Salman - GEO.tv

Pakistan may be involved in T20 World Cup match spot fixing

Updated at: 1434 PST, Tuesday, November 16, 2010
KARACHI: The Anti-Corruption Unit of the International Cricket council (ICC) is investigating a match spot-fixing scandal in the Twenty20 World Cup played this year in the West Indies.

Sources told Geo News that the ICC Anti-corruption Unit is probing the involvement of one or two Pakistan players in a match spot-fixing during the tournament. The match was played between Pakistan and South Africa on May 10, 2010. In the match Pakistan won the toss and elected to bat first. There are reports of alleged spot-fixing in the first 10 overs of the match.

The sources further informed that under investigation players in this scandal had planned for alleged spot-fixing through mobile phones. The numbers on which contacts were made are of England, West Indies and Dubai series.

The sources told that the ICC’s Anti-corruption Unit has interrogated two Pakistani players in this regard, and players had accepted that these numbers belong to them

More details regarding the match and the players involved in spot-fixing are expected in next 24 hours.
http://geo.tv/Sports.htm

T20 World cup: ICC acquits Salman, Kamran of spot-fixing charges

Good news for Pakistan cricket is that the International Cricket Council (ICC) has acquitted Salman Butt and Kamran Akmal of the spot-fixing charges that emerged during the last T20 World cup.
During the mega event held in West Indies in May this year, Salman Butt and Kamran Akmal were accused of spot-fixing after which the ICC anti-corruption unit came into action and telephone records of both the cricketers were confiscated. After a lapse of seven months, it is Dunya News that broke first the news of the acquittal of both the cricketers. Responding on the news, former skipper Salman Butt has said that the ICC has acquitted them after no evidence was found in the telephone records. He was talking exclusively to Dunya News.

http://www.dunyanews.tv/main_category_eng.php?nid=17648&catid=4&flag=d

Amir's lawyer would have preferred independent tribunal

Age and no previous record of misconduct could work in Mohammad Amir's favour, says his lawyer

Shahid Karim, Mohammad Amir's lawyer, has said he would have preferred an independent tribunal to adjudicate on the charges against his client over the spot-fixing controversy, instead of the three-man panel set up by the ICC. Amir, along with Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif, has been provisionally suspended by the ICC for their alleged involvement in the controversy, and the final hearings are scheduled to be held over six days in Doha from January 6-11.

"Looking at the case from a legalistic point of view, from the point of view of the case being presented to an independent and unbiased tribunal, then I think he has a fair chance of coming out clean," Karim told PakPassion.net. "However the situation is an odd one. Ideally we would have liked the tribunal to be completely independent of the ICC, but at this point in time I have to have full faith in the tribunal."

The ICC's three-man tribunal includes Michael Beloff QC, Justice Albie Sachs of South Africa and Sharad Rao of Kenya. Beloff, the ICC code of conduct commissioner, had chaired the hearings into the appeals of Amir and Butt against their suspensions in Dubai, and had upheld the ICC's decision. Subsequently, the PCB revoked the central contracts of the players.

Beloff's prior participation in the hearings drew objection from Karim. "We raised a slight objection to Michael Beloff QC chairing the hearing in Doha, as he had heard the case in the provisional hearing, but he chose not to remove himself," Karim said. "However, my training as a lawyer requires me to have full faith in the forthcoming tribunal and I should expect a fair hearing.

"Although the members of the three-man tribunal are already part of the anti-corruption commission which is a permanent body in the code of the ICC and are nominated by the ICC, and the tribunal members have been picked out of those members, I still think that I have faith in their independence and impartiality."

Karim was confident of a verdict in favour of Amir, claiming there were certain mitigating circumstances in his case. "One of the mitigating factors is age and the other mitigating factor is Amir's previously unblemished record," he said. "Emotionally he is drained, he's been affected badly by it, but he's coping as best he can and above all he is very confident that he will come out of this clean."

And in the event of an unfavourable verdict for Amir, Karim said he would appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland. "If the hearing does not go our way we plan to take the matter further. The next stage of the process would be to go to the Court of Arbitration of Sport in Lausanne. It is an international arbitration body set up to settle disputes related to sport and would be completely independent and divorced of the ICC."

Meanwhile, Butt's lawyers have asked the ICC for a postponement of the hearings to prepare their reply

Doha, first day hearing completed, will continue till 11 Jan. Amir seems to be very hopeful. It has also been announced that world cup squad can be changed till 19 Jan. Should we expect something positive for some of suspected players??

Still inconclusive. There is still the possibility of Butt having asked him to bowl the no-ball to intimidate the batsman. It might be simpler if they could find out if the video was shot before or after the incidents.

Looking at how the relationship between the 3 'accused' have soured, what is the point of them clearing their name? Either way, their careers and camaraderie have been tainted by this controversy. Sad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spot-fixing: Differences between Butt and Asif grow | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

Growing differences between Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif in the spot-fixing hearings in Doha, Qatar appear to have given rise to the acknowledgment that wrongdoing was committed during the Lord's Test last summer, but that complicity in the act and blame for it have not yet been settled.

The pair, along with Mohammad Amir, have pleaded not guilty to charges of bowling deliberate no-balls in the fourth Test against England, allegedly at the behest of player-agent Mazhar Majeed. But on day five of the hearing, during which Asif presented his defence and was then cross-examined by ICC lawyers, the explanations of why a no-ball was bowled suggest that it was the result of a direct or indirect instruction from Butt.

It has slowly become clear over the course of the hearing that the equation between how Butt and Asif defended themselves in particular was going to be pivotal in the case. In his opening statement, Asif is believed to have said that the no-ball came about because of the extra effort required to bowl a faster ball as instructed by Butt, who was captain at the time.

As a result, Butt was questioned by Asif's lawyer, Alexander Cameron, during his defence earlier in the hearing; in turn, on Monday, Butt's lawyer Yasin Patel questioned Asif. Amir on the other hand was not questioned by either of the other players' lawyers.

There is a suggestion that Butt wasn't in the courtroom, on the 12th floor of the Qatar Financial Centre, during Asif's questioning. As has been the case through the week, the players arrived separately; Asif was the first to do so and the last to leave.

Given that the possibility of deliberate wrongdoing is strengthened through the interplay between Butt and Asif, the situation does not appear too bright for the players. The probability that the ICC, which is keen to establish its credentials as a body with zero tolerance for corruption, will push for harsh sanctions must be high. As Pakistan's captain at the time, Butt faces the possibility of the sternest sanctions.

He was under cross-examination for the longest period of the three players and one witness' statements in particular are thought to have hurt his case. Equally, stern action against Asif and Amir cannot be discounted if guilt is established, even though the latter's youth and unblemished disciplinary record might provide mitigating circumstances.

After Asif's cross-examination, the ICC began its closing statements. On Wednesday the players will deliver their closing statements. Thereafter the tribunal of Michael Beloff QC, Albie Sachs and Sharad Rao is expected to deliberate over the judgment. There is no indication yet whether a judgment and verdict will be made public on Tuesday or whether they decide to reserve the judgment till later.

^ Asif has the best case, because his no-ball was only marginal. IIRC, part of his feet was still on the line or just slightly over the line. Thus it's reasonable to expect that someone might bowl that big a no-ball if trying hard. Aamir, though, is another story.

As for SB, he'll probably get a life ban I am guessing.

^ Asif has the best case, because his no-ball was only marginal. IIRC, part of his feet was still on the line or just slightly over the line. Thus it's reasonable to expect that someone might bowl that big a no-ball if trying hard. Aamir, though, is another story.

I think they all get punished or they all go free. If Butt and Aamir are proven guilty, that means the video is authentic and not a conspiracy. Then it is really freakish that Asif would bowl a no-ball at the same time as promised by Majeed.

If SB is guilty, then the tapes are authentic aren't they? Which means that both Asif and Amir bowled no-balls at pre-determinable times, which makes the circumstantial evidence against them quite strong IMO.

So if SB goes, then Asif goes too. And Amir would be guilty as well but because of his age he might get a lenient sentence.

Firstly I think this ICC thing is a drama to take away Pakistan best
bowlers and inspirational capatain , as I could make a video on a game after it happened , and claim with cooked newspaper in Pakistan , hey Sachin stated he will score a 100 in specific game etc

Also I think now the situation is bad

a) Asif defence made a case that he was asked to ball fast
which in itself is not a crime but it shows intent that
for a specific ball he was asked to change his run

b) But stated he has no clue how someone knew of specific ball
unless he makes a case he routinely asks players to ball
certain balls fast

c) Asif on other had , I am not sure he dated Veena Malik he
is a leecher...

Bottom line is if the 3 player's lawyers had adapted a united defence

"WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT"

I am sure they would all be playing cricket becasue they decided to do their own independent defence they will all get bans

:no:

Idiot lawyers they all have:coffee:

If SB is guilty, then the tapes are authentic aren't they? Which means that both Asif and Amir bowled no-balls at pre-determinable times, which makes the circumstantial evidence against them quite strong IMO.

So if SB goes, then Asif goes too. And Amir would be guilty as well but because of his age he might get a lenient sentence.

I don't doubt for a moment that there was some spot-fixing done, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Asif and Amir were involved - from a legal perspective. Let's think from a legal perspective of how Asif and Amir's lawyers could argue this. They could say that SB was the one involved with the bookies and that he pushed Asif and Amir to bowl with extra-effort, which resulted in the no-ball. So SB gets banned for life, and Asif and Amir get a limited time ban or no ban at all.

Asif's legal team in particular seems to be quite good and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets away with this.

But , I think the point is that Salman Butt has full account of where his money came from.

So its quit strange that he is guilty

As a captain he asks players to ball good almost every ball

What I would like to argue would be

a) How can you prove that the video was shot 3-4 days prior to the
game (Yes/No)

b) Is there a proof of any players accepting cash undeniable proof
a picture or evidence. (Yes/No)

I mean if someone watches a cricket game tonight , and same day shoots a video and then mails it out in news claiming that it was shot 3-4 days ago well that is just a hoax !

Also , can there be proof that Mr Mazhad did not gain financially from any means from this whole fiasco , like interview deals or news or book revenue

He could have sold his story for millions and sold out players intentionally to gain financially .... in case if he was in financial difficulties.

How reliable is Mr Mazhar ..:no:

If a theif , travels on a bus , all the other ppl standing on bus stop are not guilty by association alone. Unless they commited the crime

I just don't see any proof ... :blink:

I mean finding 4,000-8,000 USD something well I know I travelled with 9,000 USD in hotels etc as fees for hotels is high in Europe and USA 100$/night , and you can spend money fast in few weeks

Remember a meal in europe costs easily 40-50$ / meal in fancy hotel ...plus tips etc

So if Salman stated 11,000.00 GBP = 17,005.46 was amount he had from PCB

Lets see 17,000 USD ....

If you stay 1 night in hotel = cost is 130 USD

Lets Assume the tour was for 30 days

Cost of night commute $3900Cost of daily meals
$30 + 10(tips) x 3 = $3600 food expense
-------------------------------------------------
$7200 is accounted for
--------------------------------------------------

Entertainment/Leisure Allowance lets assume PCB allowed 100$/day for players
during the 30 day tour

100 x 30 = $3,000

So we have $10,200 accounted for leaving behind about 7,000 USD extra in his possesion

Captain's allowance

a) As a captain , he got paid extra for being the team captain
So he got paid 3,000 $ extra or so

Geat , $13,200 accounted for form his room

So what is left ?

5,000 USD ?

As Salman Butt stated

a) He had a contract to appear and open a icereame parlor (Endorsement)
b) He also had cricket bat sticker promotion has provide receipts

So anyway we look at it ... his story adds up

The only question remains is

a) Did Mazhar trick the players and he slipped the mark bills with endorsement cash ?
b) Did Mazhad had to gain something from lieing and selling his tory to tabloids
in return for 1-3 million dollars !!! Was there a financial gain for him if he did this

Last edited:
I think they all get punished or they all go free. If Butt and Aamir are proven guilty, that means the video is authentic and not a conspiracy. Then it is really freakish that Asif would bowl a no-ball at the same time as promised by Majeed.

From a legal perspective, it's not as freakish as you might think. SB could have asked Asif to really try and bowl hard, and thus he was an accessory unknowingly.

Actually when you think about it, Asif no-ball was only marginal, plus he only bowled one no-ball. I think if you want to bowl a no-ball on purpose to earn money, you'd be try to safe and be much more in front of the crease. Being that close is quite risky in fact. The only thing against him is the bookie's word. So he has the best case out of the 3.

SB was definitely involved here, Amir most likely was. Asif's involvement is debatable and can be challenged.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom