What's new

South China Sea Forum

China should be given credit for handling the situation in a professional and peaceful manner.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/rt-beiji...china-sea-report.467091/page-27#ixzz4TO0vGgm8
Nice spin, but China should have left the Bowditch alone in the first place, especially when both Chinese and American ships were nowhere near China.

LOL no more technology secret left in that UUSV after we took it apart. Will USA keep crying about its toy?
You cannot build it yourself ? :lol:

AT SEA (Aug. 24, 2015) A littoral battlespace sensing-glider (LBS-G) is deployed aboard a Naval Oceanographic Office (NAVOCEANO) T-AGS 60-class vessel. NAVOCEANO, comprised of approximately 800 military, civilian and contractor personnel, uses a variety of platforms, including ships, aircraft, satellite sensors, buoys and unmanned underwater vehicles to collect oceanographic and hydrographic data from the world's oceans. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)
150824-N-N0101-002.JPG

AT SEA (Nov. 30, 2015) A littoral battlespace sensing-glider (LBS-G) is deployed from a Naval Oceanographic Office (NAVOCEANO) T-AGS 60-class vessel. LBS-G are currently deployed from five of six NAVOCEANO T-AGS 60-class ships. LBS-G collect data profiles including temperature, salinity, water clarity and depth. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)

151130-N-N0101-001.JPG

AT SEA (Nov. 30, 2015) The stern of a Naval Oceanographic Office (NAVOCEANO) T-AGS 60-class vessel is photographed with a glider, left, in the distance. Gliders operate at speeds of approximately 0.5 knots and are highly susceptible to the environment, especially currents. They routinely dive to nearly 1,000 meters and can operate for up to four months, depending on environmental conditions and sensors utilized. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)
151130-N-N0101-003.JPG

AT SEA (Dec. 10, 2015) A littoral battlespace sensing-glider (LBS-G) is deployed from a Naval Oceanographic Office (NAVOCEANO) T-AGS 60-class vessel. NAVOCEANO has been deploying LBS-G operationally since 2012. Today, NAVOCEANO employs a fleet of LBS-G around the world. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)
151210-N-N0101-004.JPG

AT SEA (Feb. 15, 2016) A night deployment of a littoral battlespace sensing-glider (LBS-G). Once deployed, gliders change their buoyancy to descend or ascend in the ocean. The upward or downward movement is transformed into horizontal motion by its wings, causing the vehicle to glide. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)
160215-N-N0101-001.JPG

Wrong.

Where did the US, as that third party, claimed the entirety of the SCS as our own, as in 'acquisition' as how you dishonestly put US ?

WHERE DID THE US EVER CLAIMED TO OWN THE SOUTH CHINA SEA ?

Claim and counter claim of ownership -- of a current public access way -- keep that access way open for anyone to traverse, NOT FOR ANYONE TO CLAIM OWNERSHIP.

Have you ever freely traverse any disputed territory without proper visa and act in complete disregard of the law of the nation that's in control of the territory?

Of course it is. The context of 'high sea' is an area of ocean THAT IS NOT UNDER ANY COUNTRY'S JURISDICTION.

Unfortunately, the definition for High Sea is already given by Article 86 instead of what you claim.

Data gathering is peaceful purposes.

A violation of peaceful purposes means no overtly military type operations like war games are allowed. That is why there is something called 'innocent passage' thru territorial waters where the word 'innocent' mean a genuine desire to simply traverse the region without disturbing the local peace.

The Bowditch was NOT a commissioned warship, just like how the USAF often lease civilian airliners which does not mean a United Airlines jet suddenly becomes a military transport. That mean the Bowditch was fully within rights to conduct surveying operations within the Philippines' EEZ and did it without disturbing the local peace.

Any military operation is for non-peaceful purpose, let alone for "exclusive peaceful purpose". The data gathering is for submarine and anti-submarine warfare. Any claim of peaceful purpose would be a complete farce. An act of overt espionage itself is non-peaceful, not just the purpose.

Oh yea of little knowledge.
1. What armed warship? The US ship? Does the designation USNS have any meaning to you?
See http://www.msc.navy.mil/inventory/ships.asp?ship=17&type=OceanographicSurveyShip
Where's the armament?
bowditch.jpg

As for violated article of UNCLOS, try these:

Article56

Rights, jurisdiction and duties of the coastal State in the exclusive economic zone

1. In the exclusive economic zone, the coastal State has:
(a) sovereign rights for the purpose of exploring and exploiting, conserving and managing the natural resources, whether living or non-living, of the waters superjacent to the seabed and of the seabed and its subsoil, and with regard to other activities for the economic exploitation and exploration of the zone, such as the production of energy from the water, currents and winds;
(b) jurisdiction as provided for in the relevant provisions of this Convention with regard to:
(i) the establishment and use of artificial islands, installations and structures;
(ii) marine scientific research;
(iii) the protection and preservation of the marine environment;
(c) other rights and duties provided for in this Convention.

2. In exercising its rights and performing its duties under this Convention in the exclusive economic zone, the coastal State shall have due regard to the rights and duties of other States and shall act in a manner compatible with the provisions of this Convention.

3. The rights set out in this article with respect to the seabed and subsoil shall be exercised in accordance with Part VI.

Article58

Rights and duties of other States in the exclusive economic zone

1. In the exclusive economic zone, all States, whether coastal or land-locked, enjoy, subject to the relevant provisions of this Convention, the freedoms referred to in article 87 of navigation and overflight and of the laying of submarine cables and pipelines, and other internationally lawful uses of the sea related to these freedoms, such as those associated with the operation of ships, aircraft and submarine cables and pipelines, and compatible with the other provisions of this Convention.

2. Articles 88 to 115 and other pertinent rules of international law apply to the exclusive economic zone in so far as they are not incompatible with this Part.

3. In exercising their rights and performing their duties under this Convention in the exclusive economic zone, States shall have due regard to the rights and duties of the coastal State and shall comply with the laws and regulations adopted by the coastal State in accordance with the provisions of this Convention and other rules of international law in so far as they are not incompatible with this Part.
That ship is not military ship? which company does it belong to? don't find the company spokensman stand out for asking China return it, but USA government first, hehe.

Exclusive economic zone? why dragged it here, first tell the ship is military ship or civilian ship.

Man, you are thick. I have indicated China and my own country are and US isn't an UNCLOS (ratified) signatory. Irrespective of whether the US is or is not a signatory, China is therefor bound by UNCLOS.
So, China violate the UNCLOS? ok, we don't accept that, how to deal with it? I think you should ask USA sue China for it, 30 million dollars is very small money for them.

Oceanography is necessary e.g. for the production of accurate sea maps, particularly in areas that have been hit by e.g. large storms, where shift may have occurred on the sea bed. If you (or China) claim that the USNS ship was actually spying, you should produce evidence thereof and lodge a complaint via diplomatic channels, or with the international institutions or practices indicated in UNCLOS. Up untill now China (and you) have produced NOTHING that actually supports the notion that this particular ship was spying. How hard is THAT to understand?
Does spyer will come at you volunterily, and say they are spyer, although average IQ of American is lower than Chinese, but not that fool, is it? they were sneaking around Chinese islands, seems collecting the information about security of China, rumor said at that time, there was a nuclear there, we as a peacekeeper of SCS, it is our responsiblity to check whether the ship is bad guy, if you are not, will release you soon, don't feel it is unreasonble.

As the evidence of the ship is spying, we need check its device, you know spyer will not tell you voluntarily, and how do you know whether UUV came into China territorial sea and what did it do underwater? we were collecting evidence, it is very normal thing like police does, hard to understand?

SECTION 2. LIMITS OF THE TERRITORIAL SEA
Article3 Breadth of the territorial sea

Every State has the right to establish the breadth of its territorial sea up to a limit not exceeding 12 nautical miles, measured from baselines determined in accordance with this Convention.

Article29
Definition of warships

For the purposes of this Convention, "warship" means a ship belonging to the armed forces of a State bearing the external marks distinguishing such ships of its nationality, under the command of an officer duly commissioned by the government of the State and whose name appears in the appropriate service list or its equivalent, and manned by a crew which is under regular armed forces discipline.

Article30 Non-compliance by warships with the laws and regulations of the coastal State

If any warship does not comply with the laws and regulations of the coastal State concerning passage through the territorial sea and disregards any request for compliance therewith which is made to it, the coastal State may require it to leave the territorial sea immediately.

Article32 Immunities of warships and other government ships operated for non-commercial purposes

With such exceptions as are contained in subsection A and in articles 30 and 31, nothing in this Convention affects the immunities of warships and other government ships operated for non-commercial purposes.

Article87
Freedom of the high seas
1. The high seas are open to all States, whether coastal or land-locked. Freedom of the high seas is exercised under the conditions laid down by this Convention and by other rules of international law. It comprises, inter alia, both for coastal and land-locked States:
(a) freedom of navigation;
(b) freedom of overflight;
(c) freedom to lay submarine cables and pipelines, subject to Part VI;
(d) freedom to construct artificial islands and other installations permitted under international law, subject to Part VI;
(e) freedom of fishing, subject to the conditions laid down in section 2;
(f) freedom of scientific research, subject to Parts VI and XIII.

2. These freedoms shall be exercised by all States with due regard for the interests of other States in their exercise of the freedom of the high seas, and also with due regard for the rights under this Convention with respect to activities in the Area.

Article89 Invalidity of claims of sovereignty over the high seas

No State may validly purport to subject any part of the high seas to its sovereignty.

Article95
Immunity of warships on the high seas

Warships on the high seas have complete immunity from the jurisdiction of any State other than the flag State.

Article96
Immunity of ships used only on government non-commercial service

Ships owned or operated by a State and used only on government non-commercial service shall, on the high seas, have complete immunity from the jurisdiction of any State other than the flag State.
Scientific research? cool words, like democracy and freedom of navigation, when you peep at girl taking a bath, you can say you are doing human research; when you break into other room and move the belongs, you can say you just do exercise :D, we know what you are doing, rhetoric words can't change it in essence.

It is exactly like what the Russian are doing: there is propaganda value in this. "Oh look how tough we are, the US can't touch us'" on minor thinngs... but in reality the true professionals are shown to be the US crews. Each such incident to me is 'Chinese lost face"
Hehe, Chinese lost face? we lost again? :coffee:

I remember that in 1993, the Chinese Ship Yinhe affair, which was suspected by USA that it took prohibited goods, and will sent to Iran, US Navy warship seize surrounded it, try board on it without permission from China government, the ship can't pull in to shore, finally for the crew life safety, China government had to come to compromise that let the ship pull in to a port of Saudi arabia, let US officers boarded on it, but nothing forbiden found, what do you think about the affair, US military ship get Chinese ship trapped in "international sea" and suspecting it? and who lost face? interested in your answer. :coffee:

BTW, Thanks your "negative" label to my comments, but baised to not give to that fake American, never mind, hehe, just so-so, like freedom of navigation, deomcacy to western, the power that give other "negative" just a tool to you, be abused.:-)

China didnt argue that way, they simply return the AUV immediately.
That tells something.

An apology is recommended for a perfect end.

Disappointed to see they wasted the budget that way to ignite this potential crisis.

But disappointed more to see they didnt use an apology which cost None to end this.
Why you were disappointed? we are wasting our money, according to reason, you should be happy, you fall to new lower level, in fact if you don't know what should to say when see the conflict between two big boys, you should better to sit down and enjoy it, here opening your mouth only expose your fool side,

Who cares ? But China's face is in pieces. LOL.
No care? but you are jumping up and down here, LOL.

You want face, we can give you more, be ready:-)

Last edited:
Have you ever freely traverse any disputed territory without proper visa and act in complete disregard of the law of the nation that's in control of the territory?
If I obey certain rules during travel, it is because of safety reasons, not because the territory is recognized as belonging to someone.

But you are avoiding the question...So I will ask again...

Show us where the US ever claimed the entirety of the SCS as our own ?

Unfortunately, the definition for High Sea is already given by Article 86 instead of what you claim.
Sure...

http://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/part7.htm

Right there in the beginning.

Any military operation is for non-peaceful purpose, let alone for "exclusive peaceful purpose". The data gathering is for submarine and anti-submarine warfare. Any claim of peaceful purpose would be a complete farce. An act of overt espionage itself is non-peaceful, not just the purpose.
You are expanding the definition of 'peaceful purpose' to unacceptable dimensions.

The US perform EM reconnaissance, surface and air, off China's coast and inside her EEZ, regularly. If what you said/interpreted is applicable, China would have attacked the first vessel that performed such a mission. Instead, those missions continued to this day.

Please....the reality is China stole an oceanographic drone gathering scientific data in international waters. That makes you thieves. No wonder your neighbors have no trust in you.

The US will continue to conduct hundreds of missions per year in the SCS. This won't deter us.

arrest a spy is not a big deal

The PDF Chinese who persistently claimed the American UUV is an instrument of war by the dual use nature of the data collection process, therefore, justified the Chinese act of piracy on the Bowditch...

http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/...university-tests-long-range-unmanned-mini-sub
Tianjin University researchers have completed a sea test of the Haiyan autonomous underwater unmanned vehicle (UUV). The Haiyan is currently a civilian platform, targeted for purposes of scientific exploration of marine biology, seabeds and to aid search and rescue missions (such as the assignment of the Blue Fin 21 UUV to search for Flight MH370). But just like the US Navy, the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) also has close relationships with research universities, sponsoring robotic prototypes for potential military applications. As an autonomous UUV, the Haiyan is capable of conducting independent operations without the need for human intervention, making it ideal for lengthy and/or dangerous missions like minesweeping and submarine detection.
Do not complain if the Trump administration decides to teach your China the same lesson by taking one of your UUVs.

If I obey certain rules during travel, it is because of safety reasons, not because the territory is recognized as belonging to someone.

But you are avoiding the question...So I will ask again...

Show us where the US ever claimed the entirety of the SCS as our own ?

Since when I've stated US claim the SCS? My statement is clear that US has claimed neutrality in the dispute, hence should observe the relevant laws of all of the claimant states.

You are expanding the definition of 'peaceful purpose' to unacceptable dimensions.

The US perform EM reconnaissance, surface and air, off China's coast and inside her EEZ, regularly. If what you said/interpreted is applicable, China would have attacked the first vessel that performed such a mission. Instead, those missions continued to this day.

My definition is too broad, as "exclusive peaceful purpose" should be far more restrictive. China have repeatedly voice opposition to US reconnaissance mission inside its EEZ. Of course unlike you, US state department doesn't cite UNCLOS for its conduct but rather base its action on the immunity of military vessels being outside the jurisdiction of UNCLOS. However whether a drone can enjoy the same immunity as a warship is still high debatable.

Try to capture the UUV again, China.
If you insist that nothing wrong, just do it again.

Since when I've stated US claim the SCS?
The insinuation is evident...

https://defence.pk/threads/rt-beiji...-china-sea-report.467091/page-26#post-9027770
...dispute between neighbors won't make that territory open for third party acquisition.

My statement is clear that US has claimed neutrality in the dispute, hence should observe the relevant laws of all of the claimant states.
This argument is seriously flawed.

We are not talking about an object that can be moved to where the owner can exercise absolute physical control over it. We are talking about a fixed geographical feature that require a moral foundation that is acceptable to all parties who have some interests in this feature.

If I own a piece of land, I can have a physical presence on that land to clearly show that the land is occupied. That physical presence can be me personally, or a standing structure like a house or even a simple sign to indicate the same. But that is not enough, I would also have to rely on an existing moral and legal framework that support me and/or that standing structure. This means in absence of me, people would still understand that the land is not abandoned, owned by someone, and that there are laws protecting that land.

If ownership of a piece of land, or in this case a region of the ocean, is being contested, there is no way for me to obey all rules of claimants considering those rules will contradict each other. If A do not give me permit to cross, but B does give permission, how can I obey both rules ? Those rules are to be obeyed even if neither countries are present. Those rules are supposed to have the force of law, or at least a moral persuasion for all sides. So if the rules from A says I cannot cross, but the rules from B says I can cross, where is the force of law or that moral understanding ?

How can you not see the flaw in your argument is beyond me...:rolleyes:

My definition is too broad, as "exclusive peaceful purpose" should be far more restrictive. China have repeatedly voice opposition to US reconnaissance mission inside its EEZ. Of course unlike you, US state department doesn't cite UNCLOS for its conduct but rather base its action on the immunity of military vessels being outside the jurisdiction of UNCLOS. However whether a drone can enjoy the same immunity as a warship is still high debatable.
The debate is imaginary.

China, like the US, is experimenting with autonomous cars. So going by your argument, is the ownership of an unmanned car 'debatable' ? No, it does not. When that unmanned car is on the road, it is still immune from being stolen. If there are valuable items inside that unmanned car, those items are still immune from being stolen.

Fish traps are essentially unmanned devices and usually they are unattended. Does that mean anyone can steal another person's livelihood ? No, we respect the laws protecting those unattended fish traps, and we understand the moral persuasion that supports those laws.

China Holds UUV Symposium for Coordination in UUV Development

December 20, 2016

An ocean glider UUV being recovered off the coast of Scotland. On December 15, a similar unmanned underwater vehicle was snatched by the Chinese Navy as it was about to be collected off the coast of the Philippines. Photo: AFP

In its report “China holds ‘first ever’ underwater drone symposium two days after it seizes US device” today, SCMP quotes Hu Dunxin of the Chinese Academy of Sciences as saying that China’s use of underwater drone (unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV)) technology was advanced.

The symposium was held on December 17, two days after China’s seizure of a US UUV, but SCMP says in the report, “The gathering of more than 100 specialists, organised by the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Shenyang Institute of Automation, is not directly related to the seizure.”

According to the institute’s website, the Institute of Automation is one of the leaders in underwater drone research in China. It has developed a series of UUVs that can operate at depths of between 300 metres and 7,000 metres and the UUV symposium was held as there is urgent need for Chinese research institutions, manufacturers and clients to improve their cooperation for better coordination of UUV research.

The report shows that China has attached great importance to and made great efforts in developing UUVs. No wonder it is capable of detecting, tracking and seizing US UUVs. China does not lag behind the US in UUV technology. That was why I said in my previous post that the seizure has broken US dream of attacking China with UUVs.

Full article:

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/dipl...lds-first-ever-underwater-drone-symposium-two.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/chinas-capture-us-underwater-drone-violates-law-sea

China’s capture of the drone violates three norms embedded in international maritime law and reflected in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and other treaties. First, the drone is a “U.S. vessel,” and its seizure shows a willingness to openly steal American property operating legitimately at sea. Second, China’s action is all the more blatant because the U.S. “vessel” enjoys sovereign immune status. No foreign nation may purport to assert legal jurisdiction over it. Third, the capture is further evidence of China’s penchant for disrupting freedom of navigation on the high seas, despite Beijing’s repeated assertions that it has never interfered with freedom of navigation in the South China Sea.

https://lawfareblog.com/nonexistent-legal-basis-chinas-seizure-us-navys-drone-south-china-sea

Under UNCLOS Article 32,warships and other government ships operated for non-commercial purposes” retain their immunities under customary international law. This absolute sovereign immunity from seizure would be applicable even within China’s territorial waters. It certainly exists within China’s theoretical and sketchy Scarborough Shoal-based EEZ and would apply even if the UUV was conducting military surveillance.

In sum, China has seized a vessel belonging to a foreign government in clear violation of any possible theory of international law it could offer. Even if one accepts China’s expansive claims to an EEZ 50 miles off the coast of the Philippines (in violation of the arbitral award), and one accepts China’s rights to stop military surveillance (in violation of the plain text of UNCLOS), there is no way any country can accept China’s right to seize foreign naval vessels in violation of the basic principle of sovereign immunity. China has no legal basis for its action, and the U.S. should do its best to make sure other nations realize this.

Last edited:
I luv Chinese!
Yeah I do. It takes a lot of courage to do this to one of the most (militarily) powerful country.
This is a Chinese style of saying "welcome Mr President". :)
Trump's predecessors, Obama and Bush, too found themselves in a similar military standoff in their first month as a President.
I guess it was during Bush's 1st month when a Chinese jet crashed after it flew too close to an American spy plane, killing the pilot of the jet, and the American plane had to make an emergency landing. The crew made it home after 11 days and the plane came back in pieces....months later. Americans were fuming back then.

Then came Obama's turn, when an American ship found itself facing 5 Chinese ships. They even tried snatching the sonar equipment that was being towed.
The poor American ship sped off only to return in the company of an American destroyer. :lol:
Sorry I thought it was funny. Don't mean to offend anyone.
I think this is just a warning to what Trump might have to face a month later when he takes over frm Obama. The call to Taiwan has not gone down well with Chinese.
Not sure if Russia has ever faced something similar. @vostok

The People's Daily is the biggest newspaper group in China. The paper is an official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party

Hardly a source one would expect tro be critical in this case.

That ship is not military ship? which company does it belong to? don't find the company spokensman stand out for asking China return it, but USA government first, hehe
It was you that spoke of an armed warship, and this clearly it isn't. The rest of you post is not worthy of serious comment, as it is not serious to begin with. Have a nice day.

That's a lot of insinuation with a vivid imagination.

This argument is seriously flawed.

We are not talking about an object that can be moved to where the owner can exercise absolute physical control over it. We are talking about a fixed geographical feature that require a moral foundation that is acceptable to all parties who have some interests in this feature.

If I own a piece of land, I can have a physical presence on that land to clearly show that the land is occupied. That physical presence can be me personally, or a standing structure like a house or even a simple sign to indicate the same. But that is not enough, I would also have to rely on an existing moral and legal framework that support me and/or that standing structure. This means in absence of me, people would still understand that the land is not abandoned, owned by someone, and that there are laws protecting that land.

If ownership of a piece of land, or in this case a region of the ocean, is being contested, there is no way for me to obey all rules of claimants considering those rules will contradict each other. If A do not give me permit to cross, but B does give permission, how can I obey both rules ? Those rules are to be obeyed even if neither countries are present. Those rules are supposed to have the force of law, or at least a moral persuasion for all sides. So if the rules from A says I cannot cross, but the rules from B says I can cross, where is the force of law or that moral understanding ?

How can you not see the flaw in your argument is beyond me...:rolleyes:

This is getting silly. Take example of the Kuril island. Can the USAF flies a jet into its airspace, it'll be shout out of the sky. Now tell the Russian that because Japan dispute the ownership of these islands, the airspace are now open for transit, and you'll be laugh out of the room. And even with Russian consent, without Japanese agreement, Japan will protest your intrusion. A neutral party needs to get clearance from both states. Is that too hard to understand?

China, like the US, is experimenting with autonomous cars. So going by your argument, is the ownership of an unmanned car 'debatable' ? No, it does not. When that unmanned car is on the road, it is still immune from being stolen. If there are valuable items inside that unmanned car, those items are still immune from being stolen.

Fish traps are essentially unmanned devices and usually they are unattended. Does that mean anyone can steal another person's livelihood ? No, we respect the laws protecting those unattended fish traps, and we understand the moral persuasion that supports those laws.

If you throw something on the ground in a public area, is the next guy picking it up stealing? And if you leave your car unattended on the road, does the police not have the power to tow it away? China is exercising its administrative right in the water it claims, and an unmanned drone would not enjoy the same immunity a flagged warship does.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/chinas-capture-us-underwater-drone-violates-law-sea

China’s capture of the drone violates three norms embedded in international maritime law and reflected in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and other treaties. First, the drone is a “U.S. vessel,” and its seizure shows a willingness to openly steal American property operating legitimately at sea. Second, China’s action is all the more blatant because the U.S. “vessel” enjoys sovereign immune status. No foreign nation may purport to assert legal jurisdiction over it. Third, the capture is further evidence of China’s penchant for disrupting freedom of navigation on the high seas, despite Beijing’s repeated assertions that it has never interfered with freedom of navigation in the South China Sea.

https://lawfareblog.com/nonexistent-legal-basis-chinas-seizure-us-navys-drone-south-china-sea

Under UNCLOS Article 32,warships and other government ships operated for non-commercial purposes” retain their immunities under customary international law. This absolute sovereign immunity from seizure would be applicable even within China’s territorial waters. It certainly exists within China’s theoretical and sketchy Scarborough Shoal-based EEZ and would apply even if the UUV was conducting military surveillance.

In sum, China has seized a vessel belonging to a foreign government in clear violation of any possible theory of international law it could offer. Even if one accepts China’s expansive claims to an EEZ 50 miles off the coast of the Philippines (in violation of the arbitral award), and one accepts China’s rights to stop military surveillance (in violation of the plain text of UNCLOS), there is no way any country can accept China’s right to seize foreign naval vessels in violation of the basic principle of sovereign immunity. China has no legal basis for its action, and the U.S. should do its best to make sure other nations realize this.

There we go. US is arguing the drone as a "warship or other government ships" that has sovereign immunity for seizure. There is however no customary international law defining a drone to be one.

Back
Top Bottom