What's new

some queries regarding Madarsa education

matrixmikeneo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been reading the book called "The Last Mughal" by William Dalrymple. Its a very neutral and wonderfully enlightening book... The author has done some real research and this must be the first book which describes the events during the 1857 Gadar and the last days of Bahadurshah Zafar , not from the British point of view and using British historians' reports, but from the thousands of Indian manuscripts which had been lying in the national archives at New Delhi UNOPENED since 1860s!!!

well about the topic heading. I read a very interesting thing- during the 1850s, the madarsas were the primary centres of education which used to teach maths, science etc everything, and they were considered such superior places of learning, that even the High caste Hindus used to undergo education in Madarsas. In fact, Raja Ram Mohun Roy was a product of a madarsa in Delhi!!! (btw thats an impossible thing today, for various reasons...). Madarsas were the most forward-looking and modern educational institutions as per this book!!!

To be very frank, what I've seen as a general opinion around me is that madarsa education is an inferior method, and to be very frank, any well-to-do Muslim (atleast here in India) tries to send his ward to an english-medium private school (the same is in fact the case with well-to-do hindus as well! and the result is that private schools have been mushrooming in even the villages now)..

moreover, even as I sound very wrong (which is not the case at all, plz believe me..), somehow I've seen madarsa education being pointed as the major cause for fundamentalism and even terrorism in some cases..

so I'd want a very true picture from the Pakistani (and my Muslim Indian brothers) about the veracity of the facts... plz consider this topic as my endeavour to understand more about a religion which I do not know much about... and a method of education which I am not aware of at all....

You don't know the real state of Madarsas in India.

There are many hundreds of Modern Madarsa where they produces, engineers, doctors, scientists etc. Madarsa even have their Medical and engineering colleges.

In India Govt. of India + state govt + gulf countries + Waqf Board + Zakat funds Madarsa.

And you will be surprise many Hindus goes into study in a Madarsa for having modern education. :woot:

Why many Hindu students study in Bihar's madrasas

Sanjay Kumar, Anjali Raj, Balakrishna Sah, Sanam Kumari are all Hindus, but who share one other thing in common: all of them have secured top ranks in Class X (Fauquania) and XII (Maulvi) examinations conducted by the Bihar Madrassa Education Board this year.

Anjali secured the first rank in Fauquania in the non-Muslim category. Similarly, Sanjay Kumar secured the first rank in Maulvi in the non-Muslim category. :woot:

"Anjali got 805 marks in the non-Muslim category, while another girl, Nasra Khatoon, got 896 marks to secure the first rank in exam in the Muslim category. Anjali's performance is amazing," said Bihar Madrassa Education Board's examination controller Mohammed Mustafa.

Mustafa said Sanjay got 893 marks to secure top rank in the Maulvi exam in the non-Muslim category, followed by Balakrishna who secured the second rank with 882 marks. Mohammed Malik got 963 marks to secure the first rank in the Muslim category.

Maulana Ajaj Ahmad, chairman, Madrassa Education Board of Bihar, told rediff.com that Anjali and Sanjay have made a new beginning.

"Their success shows the rising trend of Hindus girls and boys in madrasa education in Bihar. It is something to be encouraged and promoted," he said.

"Girls, particularly Hindu girls, have been doing better than boys in the Madrassa Board exams for the last few years," he added.

Sanjay, son of a trader from Semri-Man village of Bettiah district, is keen to pursue the Alim degree (graduation level) of the Madrassa Board.

"I have made up my mind. I will encourage other Hindu students to opt for madrasa education, for it is inexpensive and enriching," Sanjay said.

Similarly, Sanam Kumari, a Dalit girl from Bhanachak Darbari Bhagat Tola, which falls under the Manjhauli police station in West Champaran district, who secured the third rank in the Maulvi exam, said she wanted to be an Urdu teacher.

Madrasa Board officials said that non-Muslims, particularly upper caste Brahmins, in Mithilanchal region in north Bihar comprising Darbhanga, Madhubani and Sitamarhi districts, are keen on sending their children to madrasas to learn Arabic and Persian, Islamic traditions and other modern subjects, with an eye on jobs in the Gulf and in embassies of Muslim nations.

The trend began about a decade ago. The madrasas charge a low fee for Class X and XII level examinations, which is proving to be an attractive proposition to Hindus in rural Bihar.

Though the central government began the process of modernising madrasas in 1994, the Bihar government only introduced it in early 2002.

Under the modernisation scheme, the course was revised to keep it in tune with the curriculum prescribed by the Bihar School Examination Board and the Central Board of Secondary Education.

"Now we teach all the modern subjects, including physics, chemistry, mathematics, and social sciences," Ahmad said. "After a few Hindu students passed out from the seminaries, they propagated our humane approach. In fact, we are not teaching anything against any religion or anything anti-national as claimed by some," he added.

Ahmad said that hundreds of Hindu children are studying in madrasas in Bihar, and that the madrasa seminaries attract both the elite and the downtrodden among the Hindus.

The madrasas provide education free of cost, which is especially attractive to the poorest and marginalised sections of the society.

Bihar has over 4,000 madrasas, including over 1,118 state-run Islamic schools. There are 2,459 unaided madrasas and hundreds more operating in many regions.

According to the first-ever status paper brought out by the BSMEB, there are only 32 madrasas for girls under the government-aided category and 576 in the unaided category.

Why many Hindu students study in Bihar's madrasas - Rediff.com India News

Made in a Madrasa

SYED KHURRAM RAZA

10_10.jpg

So you believe a madrasa is a centre of Islamic ‘indoctrination’ where Muslims are caught young and put through the paces in preparation for a life that begins and ends with religion? Banish the thought forthwith. There is life beyond theology in the madrasas across India.

Not only are an increasing number of Hindu names appearing on the rolls of these fast evolving Islamic seminaries, where modern science tomes sit cheek-by-jowl with books of religious studies, this swelling band of non-Muslim students is making the trend count by grabbing top spots on the merit list.

Take the case of Hemlata a Hindu, all of nine. She knows the Quran by heart. This student of the Khagaul madrasa is Bihar’s first non-Muslim hafiz (one who can recite the Quranic verses end to end). And she isn’t the only one in her Hindu family who reads the Quran. Her brother, too, can.

The two Khagaul siblings are among a steadily growing number of Hindus who study in madrasas in Bihar and other Indian states. Maulana Mazhar-ul Haq, head of Madrasa Banat Kishori Taiyaba, says: “We take in, on an average, four to five non-Muslim students every year. By the time they leave, they master the Arabic language and are able to recite the Quran with absolute fluency.”

Anjali Raj, an 18-year-old student of Madrasa Emadul Uloom, Patna, is one prominent new face of this trend. She scored 805 marks in her Fauqania (Class 10th) examinations and is a bit of a celebrity. “Several journalists have interviewed my daughter. People are coming from Delhi to talk to her. It is a great feeling,” says Ajay Raj, Anjali’s proud father.” (see accompanying story) Anjali’s younger sister, Muskan, a student of Standard 4, is also a keen student of Urdu. “Muskan has more passion for the language than me and she learns a new word each day. I am confident that she will do much better than me,” says Anjali.

Her confidence is probably not misplaced. This year, about 100 non-Muslim students passed the Bihar State Madrasa Education Board (BSMEB) Maulvi (12th Standard), Fauqania (10th Standard) and Wastania (middle-level) examinations. Says the BSMEB chairman Maulana Eijaz Ahmed: “The positive thing is that the parents of these successful students feel that madrasa education is better than studying in a general school. It makes their wards more disciplined.”

Lakshmi Narain, father of madrasa student Pooja Kumari of village Bardaha, Araria district, was keen to see his children learn to read and write Urdu. So not only did he enrol them in madrasas, he also engaged two maulvis as language tutors. “My daughter didn’t face any problem in the madrasa. She can now recite the Quran. I firmly believe that madrasas impart better education than regular schools,” he says.

Pooja’s brothers, Suraj Narain and Shiv Narain, also go to a madrasa. Says Lakshmi Narain: “Those who say madrasas breed religious extremism do not know what they are talking about.” Pooja echoes her father’s view: “These madrasas are great centres of education, even better than other schools.” Hindu students are making their mark at every level of the madrasa education system. Sisters Preetam Kumari and Priyanka Kumari, students of Madrasa Islamia, Sandalpur, Araria district, Bihar, have passed the Maulvi exams with flying colours.

Krishan Kant Murari, a Begusarai-based Urdu teacher who is himself a product of the madrasa system, tells TSI: “I personally found nothing unusual in a madrasa, but I had a tough time at one point as a few Muslims were opposed to the idea of Hindus studying in a madrasa. The madrasa principal had to face strong opposition from his community but he didn’t buckle under pressure.”

He says: “Madrasa teachers here are far more dedicated and focused.“ Murari, however, has a grouse. “Urdu teachers aren’t treated on par with government teachers and therefore, are not eligible for bank loans. The state government should address this anomaly and treat us on par with its other employees,” he says.

The principal of Shams-ul-Huda Madrasa, Maulana Abul Qasmi, advocated teaching about other religions in his seminary. He organised a one-day seminar on the Hindu epic, Ramayan, in his madrasa. He says: “Madrasas are national assets because moral education is a key element in their syllabus.” Youngsters like Sanjay Kumar, Anjali Raj, Balakrishna Sah and Sanam Kumari have one thing in common, besides being Hindus: they have all topped in their Fauqania and Maulvi exams. Sanjay Kumar scored 893 marks out of 1000 in his Maulvi exams.

Ten non-Muslim students have secured top ranks in their respective exams. Bihar has over 4,000 madrasas, including 1118 state-run Islamic schools, 32 madrasas for girls under the government-aided category and 576 unaided institutions. Sceptics allege that non-Muslim students join madrasas because the examinations here are held without proper invigilation and no police force is ever deployed to keep a watch. The implication is that it is easier to resort to unfair means and score high marks.

Laiq Emadi, a lecturer in Veer Kunwar Singh University, Arrah, refutes this allegation. “No incident of cheating has ever been reported from a madrasa. Moreover, only religious papers are checked internally; answer papers of all other subjects are examined by lecturers of reputed universities. So there can be no scope of any leniency in marking.”

In a madrasa in Biswa of Deoria district in UP, shlokas are taught along with Quran. The head of the madrasa, Mohd Ahmed Raza, says: “There are 12 non-Muslim students here and our seminary provides free education and has boarding facilities for outstation students. The intermingling of religions on the campus promotes understanding between the two communities.” In West Bengal, too, madrasas attract non-Muslim students in large numbers. One of the reasons for the growing popularity of madrasas is that they no longer teach only theology. The emphasis is now fully on modern education.

There are reports that Hindu students outnumber Muslims in at least four madrasas of West Bengal. The quantum of non-Muslim students varies from 57 to 64 per cent in these four seminaries. As many as 618 students of a total of 1077 students at Kasba MM High Madrasa in North Dinajpur, 554 of 868 in a madrasa at Orgam, 201 of 312 in a madrasa at Chandrakona and 290 of 480 in a madrasa at Ekmukha are Hindus.

“It is a misconception that only Islamic theology is taught there. Computer education is now very much a part of the madrasa syllabus,” says Rahat Mazahiri, a maulvi and graduate from Mazahirul Uloom, a reputed madrasa. Supportive of this trend, Abdul Hameed Nomani of Jamiat-e-Ulema Hind is of the view that this would pave way for a better understanding of each other in general and of Islam in particular. He says: “This is a welcome sign but we have to see that non-Muslims do not come here merely because it would fetch them jobs. The aim should be to provide quality education and foster better understanding of Islam as a religion.”

Siddiqullah Chaudhury, general secretary, Jamiat-e-Ulema Hind of West Bengal, says: “In these government-affiliated madrasas, 80 per cent of the syllabus is general and the remaining 20 per cent is theology. Many of these madrasas are madrasas only in name and non-Muslim students enrol here simply to improve their long-term prospects.” Chaudhury alleges that over the years, West Bengal’s Left Front government distorted the very purpose of running madrasas. “They were converted into general schools,” he adds.

Asghar Ali Engineer, president of the Mumbai-based Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, says: “There is no tradition in Maharashtra of non-Muslims studying in madrasas but in Allahabad some non-Muslim parents do send their wards to madrasas.” In the 1980s, Engineer explains, Muslims and their leadership were angry over the court decision in the Shah Bano case. “So they adopted a rigid posture in the hope that this would help them wrest their rights. In reality, the outcome was just the opposite,” says the reputed thinker. In the wake of this phase of brinkmanship on both sides, he points out, problems only multiplied for Muslims.

“Events like the Babri Masjid demolition and the Gujarat riots shook the community. The Muslim leadership realised that an unbending approach wouldn’t be the right strategy and cordial relations with the majority community would be the key. Education emerged as the field where a fresh beginning could be made,” says Engineer.

“This is not really a new trend; it’s been here for long,” says Professor Imtiaz Ahmed. “Wherever there are no educational facilities, people use the options available in that particular area. This is prevalent not only in West Bengal, Bihar or Andhra Pradesh, but also in Rajasthan. Wherever there is a shortage of schools, non-Muslim children go to madrasas for education.”

Prof Ahmed emphasises the fact that madrasa is a “general term”. He explains: “There are three kinds of madrasas. One where only general education is imparted; the second type is run by Maulanas but are affiliated to Boards; and the third kind teach only theology and prepare students to become maulvis.”

The world is changing both within and without. The madrasas are no longer the preserve of one community as is commonly perceived.

Made in a Madrasa - The Sunday Indian

@ veeru: thanks.. but u embarrassed me... I'm from BIHAR,and didn't know all this happening in my own state!!!:bad:

btw its a surprise to me that no Pakistani member has come up and discussed this topic.. isn't this a good way to explain the ignorant about the positives of your religion???

in fact there have been just 4 views so far!!! must be just u and me!!!;)

why is it that most Guys on defence.pk are totally interested in trolling (just went through a flame war over sum knitwear exports by BD!!!!:hitwall:), but no one wants to talk constructively....it would have been wonderful to get to know the views and the practical experiences of others who have been to/ have knowledge of Madarsas....

why is it that most Guys on defence.pk are totally interested in trolling (just went through a flame war over sum knitwear exports by BD!!!!:hitwall:), but no one wants to talk constructively....it would have been wonderful to get to know the views and the practical experiences of others who have been to/ have knowledge of Madarsas....

:rofl: off topic, Do you think a place having a number of Pakistani's, Chinese, Bangladeshi's and to top it all Indians will be a sane place.

Though people try to maintain some sort of decorum, but eventually the "nut jobs" kick in.

I'm just bearing Aryan_B and NationalistPakistani who are trying to pick up flame wars separately with me on two different topics... and I'm trying to be sane.. lets see!!!!:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom