What's new

Some hard facts about Pakistan's defense budget....

Pksecurity

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A ferocious debate has been triggered in print and electronic media by some vested interest groups that Pakistan’s military consumes the largest share of nation’s economic pie. The nation is being made to believe that Pakistan’s military is the root-cause of economic woes of the country. These voices may sound music to the ears of the audience across the borders and across the Atlantic but these are efforts to distort the facts and tarnish the image of the security establishment. This is being done to mislead the masses who still consider their military as the savior of the last resort and place it in high esteem, much higher than those who they are compelled to vote into power to repent later.
Consider these facts: in 2007, Pakistan’s defense expenditure, in dollar terms was less than 3% of its GDP. With continuous downslide of rupee, this figure must have fallen to close to 2%. With defense budget at 3% of GDP, Pakistan was ranking at 46 in world nations to have lower chunk of its national income allocated to defense. (CIA-The World Factbook)
Consider the fact that even with this poor allocation, Pakistan has the 7th largest defense force, a feat of most economic, efficient and effective security apparatus all Pakistanis should genuinely be proud of.
If we look at the actual budget figures for the year 2010-11, Pakistan raised Rs 2,236 billion from its taxes. After disbursement of provincial share (Rs 997.7 billion), the government was left with only Rs 1,238 billion. Out of this, Rs 855.5 billion was paid in debt servicing and repayment of long-term loans. After meeting other obligatory expenses like Rs 395.8 billion for subsidies and Rs 92.688 billion for pension liabilities, the national kitty was already short of Rs. 105.765 billion.
Consider: if you fire military and civil personnel and discontinue the development altogether, will you still be able to meet all your obligatory expenses from the resources you generate? The answer is in negative. The mother of all economic problems of Pakistan is its elite based taxation system which grants exemptions to rich and mighty. They are immune to any tax liability. The country is being run out of indirect taxes contributed by the majority. Pakistan ranks at 197 among 210 nations in terms of tax-to-GDP ratio. This is due to a structural distortion; Agriculture, which is more than one-fifth of the economy and which is the source of wealth and political strength for the political elite, is outside the direct-tax regime, even in 21st century.

Even zero defense budget will not solve Pakistan

The talk about Pakistan's defence budget being too big is mostly propaganda by Pakistan's enemies and army's haters. We only spend somewhere around 3.5% of our GDP on defence. US, for instance, spends 4.7% on defence. Pakistan spends more or less what an average countries spend.

The talk about Pakistan's defence budget being too big is mostly propaganda by Pakistan's enemies and army's haters. We only spend somewhere around 3.5% of our GDP on defence. US, for instance, spends 4.7% on defence. Pakistan spends more or less what an average countries spend.

Obviously, you don't understand the difference between budget and GDP, do you?

What Pakistan needs right now is a better economy and not a better army, you could always catch up with rest of the world once you have the money, and money talks.

And based on what do you say that? We use around 21% of our budget on military, which is again more or less the same as other countries.

And based on what do you say that? We use around 21% of our budget on military, which is again more or less the same as other countries.

that's a big part of a small pie.

Other countries have quite a big pie, you know.

...and I'm not including Uganda and Cuba in 'other countries'. Pakistan is better.

Other countries have quite big pie, you know.

Do you not know basic math? I am giving you the percentage of the 'small pie'. Other countries use nearly the same percentages out of their 'big pie'. You don't understand how percentage/proportion works?

Do you not know basic math? I am giving you the percentage of the 'small pie'. Other countries use nearly the same percentages out of their 'big pie'. You don't understand how percentage/proportion works?

So you really do wanna stick to percentage.

How I thought Pakistan deserved better!

Anyways, you obviously don't understand how countries with a smaller pie need to use most of it for development; far more than do countries with a bigger pie.

Bah, whateva!

I dont know why ppl try to insist on creating issues they have so limited information, NO offence. I mean if you need medical advice , you go to a doc, if u need advice on your car trouble, you’ll go to a mechanic... and then you’ll take their words as final. In this case Govt is telling how much share it is giving to defence... the military is telling the amount they are getting as defence budget, but then we need to place question marks on their statements just to craft conspiracy theories. Where are we heading with this?

I dont know why ppl try to insist on creating issues they have so limited information, NO offence. I mean if you need medical advice , you go to a doc, if u need advice on your car trouble, you’ll go to a mechanic... and then you’ll take their words as final. In this case Govt is telling how much share it is giving to defence... the military is telling the amount they are getting as defence budget, but then we need to place question marks on their statements just to craft conspiracy theories. Where are we heading with this?

WHat the govt. IS telling you is what they claim to be giving to the military.

What the govt. IS NOT telling you is what they earmarked for development but the military took its share in that too.

WHat the govt. IS telling you is what they claim to be giving to the military.

What the govt. IS NOT telling you is what they earmarked for development but the military took its share in that too.

And sir this statement of yours is based on some solid information (which i would like to know as well) or just based on something you just heard here and there

Pak Army also happens to be one of the most fruitful investments that the budget makes. Pakistan's largest taxpayer is the Fauji Foundation which is a military concern and returns about US$ 700 Million each year in taxes alone. That does not include the taxes paid by it's employees.

its less than 18%..which is more less the same for countries in our situation..and its less than 3% of gdp now..

Back
Top Bottom