What's new

Sikorsky offers military choppers to India

sudhir007

Reaction score
Sikorsky offers military choppers to India

7737523D7510752040C3C90F3A.jpg

Sikorsky's Executive Vice President for India and South Asia, Air Vice Marshal Arvind Jeet Singh Walia (retd), told India Strategic defence magazine (..:: India Strategic ::.. Home Page: The authoritative monthly on Defence and Strategic Affairs.) that at present the offer was to make a naval variant of the famous Black Hawk, designated MH-70B Sea Hawk, if the Indian Navy opts to buy this aircraft.

The Indian Navy should have a requirement for more than 100 helicopters of this type, and if the Sea Hawk is chosen, there would be appreciable Transfer of Technology and manufacturing capability to India, subject of course to an agreement between the Indian and US Governments.

If selected, the MH-70B could be co-produced in India under what is called the Buy-and-Make category of the defence ministry's Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP), he said.

At present, the navy has an RfP (Request for Proposals or tender) for 16 helicopters with an option for eight more twin-engine, 12.5 tonne category helicopters. But there are indications for nearly a 100 more, Walia said, adding: "The technical and financial evaluation process is on and a decision is due any time."

Pitted against the Sikorsky is a European consortium's NH-90, partnered by Italy's AgustaWestland (32 percent), European EADS Eurocopter (62.5 percent) and Dutch Stork Fokker (5.5 percent).

Notably, US companies cannot offer advanced and critical technologies to foreign countries but occasionally, the US state and defense departments give them nods to offer their systems on the understanding that in case of possible deals, their cases would be considered favorably and approvals accorded.

Significantly, several top Sikorsky executives have visited India in recent weeks, offering both civil and military aircraft.

Stephen B. Estill, vice president (Strategic Partnerships) for Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation (SAC), and Mick Maurer, president, Sikorsky Military Systems, were in India in February to meet Ratan Tata to seek collaborations in this regard with the Tata group.

Estill said that Sikorsky and Tatas were in discussions for military helicopters, and that a joint company would be set up as and when feasible.

The two groups already have a joint venture for civil helicopter production since 2010, and have started making cabins for the Sikorsky S-92 helicopters in India for civil and VIP versions. Seven cabins had been supplied since the venture started two years ago from a facility in Hyderabad.

'And the first machine with the Made-in-India cabin is just about to be given to a customer somewhere in the world,' Estill said.

Gradually, the production would go up to three cabins a month, or 36 a year, by 2013 from the Indian facility, and the machines would be supplied globally from Asia to the Americas.

Walia said that although India itself had no order yet for the S-92, the Indian facility was playing a significant role in Sikorsky's global supply chain. This success could be replicated for military aircraft, but in this case, if there were orders from the Indian Navy to make the project viable in terms of investment and transfer of technology.

Walia said that the Sea Hawks can be used in several roles from anti submarine warfare (ASW) to anti-surface warfare (ASUW), light heliborne operations, search and rescue (SAR) missions and all-weather surveillance. The helicopter can be equipped with weapons and combat systems as required, and can go reasonably far away from its mother ship.

Notably, the Black Hawk has several multi-role variants for the US rmy, marines, navy and special forces. Hundereds of these helicopters have been supplied worldwide to various countries.

i think indian navy want highly upgraded version
that' i read

Which competition is this?

MoD will buy whoever provides the required capability at cheaper rates with more ToT.

i think indian navy want highly upgraded version
that' i read

That goes without saying, the navy and air force usually have their aircraft's customized to their needs and this usually takes most of the time because they have really high requirement and then there is testing. As far as I am concerned as long as the chopper is what navy wants and comes cheap without and strings attached I am fine with the deal.

India is in really good place now USA is offering India state of the art weapons to make India as a strategic partner and now Mr Putin is also back in Russia who will try his level best not to loose India to USA.

In either case India stands as a winner.

India is in really good place now USA is offering India state of the art weapons to make India as a strategic partner and now Mr Putin is also back in Russia who will try his level best not to loose India to USA.

In either case India stands as a winner.

We must play is game with real care, USA is not the best of the two. US is in it for its interest and we must keep in mind that India's interest comes first for us, because you never know when things might change. And you only find out who your true friends are in time of need and so far Russia and maybe France and Israel who have helped us through our tough times.

If they r capable enough and cheap than navy have got no choice and private participation is their, so this could the start our defence industry is waiting for...:yahoo:

I think we already have world class military choppers

Why is it not possible to convert Dhruv in navalized form...?When we have great achievements in chopper Industries ..like Dhruv,LCH,and LUH.

Sikorsky already has a JV to establish a helicopter complex in Hyderabad with TATA ASL. Thought it might not be JSF type of project, it may just be the starting of helo manufacturing en masse in India.

If I remember correctly, we are not exactly weak in helicopter section; it is just the red tapism that slows our production.

Why is it not possible to convert Dhruv in navalized form...?When we have great achievements in chopper Industries ..like Dhruv,LCH,and LUH.
The Naval Dhruv is in operation on the INS VIRAAT and will be on all IN ACCs for a while in the SAR role and there will be one Dhruv in this role on all P-17/P-28/P-15 in most deployments. The only thing with the Dhruv was the MMR had technical difficulties and there was an issue with the lack of electronic folding blades. On the whole the issues with the Naval Dhruv have been fixed but the Dhruv won't be used in the ASW role ony the SAR and utility roles.
That goes without saying, the navy and air force usually have their aircraft's customized to their needs and this usually takes most of the time because they have really high requirement and then there is testing. As far as I am concerned as long as the chopper is what navy wants and comes cheap without and strings attached I am fine with the deal.

Yes quite right, Indian armed forces often ask for tech never fitted on platforms and in many cases not even in existence so this is why the procurement of these deals often go on a bit longer than we'd like as these aren't off the shelf buys like other countries do but very specific and customised versions.

Bl[i]tZ;2666534 said:
Which competition is this?

MoD will buy whoever provides the required capability at cheaper rates with more ToT.

This is the Navy MRH competition to replace the IN's Sea Kings in ASW role with anther competition running simultaneously to replace (and expand the capacity) of the IN's Sea Kings in the SOAR role and utility role which will be highly customised for SOFs missions and will have a2a refuelling.

Would be my wish too, but IN evaluated it and found some shortcomings like less range that speaks against it. I still say they should re-design / stretch the naval Dhruv to counter the current shortcomings, but IN seems to want a fast replacement and for ease of induction and commonality of weapons, the S70 seems to be the best choice in the ASW role.

Back
Top Bottom