What's new

Siachen Glacier, Fighting On The Roof Of The World

Status
Not open for further replies.
So whosoever holds on to whatever it is that they are holding will stay on as such. Neither side will be very magnanimous about this issue as there is no need for this right now. Both sides can easily afford to carry on indefinitely.

Which is what i think is best anyway, contrary to what the good Brigadier wants. In Siachen, IA occupies the majority of the area, most of the cliff's and significantly all of the important/strategic cliff's are held by India. In Kashmir, India has 2/3rd, which i think is quite alright. It ensures in a conflict, India gains some sort of better starting and staging point.

I'd have been good, if India had been able to cut off the KKH, put a wedge b/w China and Pak, but thats just as always 'what could have been' and not what the reality is ! lol.

You know, even if India were to somehow take ***, it would be a disaster, the local population would rebel, which would mean the single biggest insurgency in India. So that option's basically out realistically speaking, though India still claims the rest. And you see this is recognized as well by Indian govt, you dont see them parading around saying *** is ours.

So the current AGP's according to me should most definitely be held on, without going back an inch. The status quo per me, suits India perfectly.

Test IoK
Question: Why is P-O-K banned? When IoK is very acceptable? Both countries have different terminologies to refer to the respective lands. Banning it here would not change anything. Or saying it Azad Kashmir, doesnt mean accepting that its 'Azad' from India. I think this is a case to say--'grow up'!

Malay,

Originally Posted by blain2 View Post
So whosoever holds on to whatever it is that they are holding will stay on as such. Neither side will be very magnanimous about this issue as there is no need for this right now. Both sides can easily afford to carry on indefinitely.

Where have I disagreed with this?

Another tidbit about Pakistani reluctance around the entire AGP authentication issue:

Pak army stakes claim to Siachen

Pak army stakes claim to Siachen
November 24, 2006 – 10:48 pm

November 24, 2006 Islamabad: Giving a new twist to the Siachen issue, Pakistan Army has claimed the glacier is a disputed area as it is part of Kashmir and thus India has no justification to ask Islamabad to authenticate troop positions there.”Siachen is also part of Kashmir. We think the Indian army went there when there was no military presence and it (take over) was not justified,” Pakistan Army’s Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen Ehsan-ul-Haq said in an interview to Geo TV on Thursday night.

Reacting to the Indian Army officials’ statement expressing reservations over pulling out troops from Siachan without the authentication of troop positions by Pakistan, Haq said such stand may have been taken on presumption that questions may be asked why the army marched into Siachen in 1984 and the criticism that why they have “occupied” it.

“That could be at the back of their mind. To ask Pakistan to authenticate, (positions held by Indians) it is not justified because the full area is disputed and to insist for such things, I do not think it is correct,” he said.

India, while favouring demilitarisation of Siachen, has maintained that it cannot take place till Pakistan agrees to “iron-clad” authentication of present deployment of troops of the two countries.
New Delhi is insisting on authentication because of the experience in Kargil in 1999.

As part of the Indo-Pak dialogue process, both sides have been treating Siachen and Kashmir as separate issues.

Haq said Pakistan wants to have normal ties with India for mutual benefit. “We want to have normal relations with India which is mutually beneficial” and it is the wish of the people of the region also, he said.

Pakistan has taken lot of initiatives and lot of CBMs have been agreed upon by both governments which are being implemented. “The most important issue from Pakistan’s point of view is Kashmir,” he said adding that Pakistan leadership has made it clear that unless there is progress on Kashmir tthe CBMs will fall apart.

“The biggest CBM is to resolve Kashmir. These is complex issue but with a sincere approach and direction it can be resolved,” he said.

Denying that Pakistan army was in arms race with India he claimed New Delhi was now rated as the highest procurer of defence equipment in the world and Pakistan was only matching to reach the deterrence level.

Which is what i think is best anyway, contrary to what the good Brigadier wants. In Siachen, IA occupies the majority of the area, most of the cliff's and significantly all of the important/strategic cliff's are held by India. In Kashmir, India has 2/3rd, which i think is quite alright. It ensures in a conflict, India gains some sort of better starting and staging point.

I'd have been good, if India had been able to cut off the KKH, put a wedge b/w China and Pak, but thats just as always 'what could have been' and not what the reality is ! lol.

Thus the status-quo will be maintained as we all agree.

Time for India and Pakistan to move on and leave Siachen and mother nature alone to heal.

The money can be better spent in both countries

Thank God there is someone out there who supports my viewpoint!
Thanks AM

The point is a good point.

However, it does not take into account realpolitik.

The world would be a better place if sanity was the rationale to things. Unfortunately, everything that happens is so irrational.

That is the unfortunate and sad reality.

BEAR ATTACK .. i was awaken by a sentry one early morning who told me of a bear lurking very close to the post ... i went outside to see it .. and there it was, a massive brown thing hardly around 50-60 m from my location .. my sentry loaded the weapon and asked my permission to bring it down ... and i was like ... NO NEED ... as long as it does not bother us ... the bear looked at us ... and then slowly walked down into the valley ..
i bet it was looking for a morsel ..o'wise why take risk of coming close to the most vicious creature on earth :D :D

BEAR ATTACK .. i was awaken by a sentry one early morning who told me of a bear lurking very close to the post ... i went outside to see it .. and there it was, a massive brown thing hardly around 50-60 m from my location .. my sentry loaded the weapon and asked my permission to bring it down ... and i was like ... NO NEED ... as long as it does not bother us ... the bear looked at us ... and then slowly walked down into the valley ..
i bet it was looking for a morsel ..o'wise why take risk of coming close to the most vicious creature on earth :D :D

is this your own story or that of another soldier?

since i was talking in first person ..... so .. 100% my own .. my friend ..
Siachin ... been there .. DONE that ...

since i was talking in first person ..... so .. 100% my own .. my friend ..
Siachin ... been there .. DONE that ...

That's cool man! The closest I've come to a wild animal is an elephant. It ran out of the trees just before my bicycle. I was dead scared, and fled some 100 mts before turning back!

Ahan .... interesting indeed ... although i am sure that elephant is twice as scary than a bear ever could be .. ..... i think .....SIZE DOES MATTER ..

Also I doubt stealth had a gun on him when he chanced upon the elephant :p

well .... i still would prefer to back than to take my chances with an elephant with anything lesser than a 12.7 mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom