What's new

SHTF: Why I Choose the AK

Manticore

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I've seen a resurgence in discussions about Survivalism online and in conversations with friends and family. This isn't a new phenomena, Survivalists have been around all of my life. As a kid growing up in the 1980's everyone was worried the Russians would invade or that nuclear war was inevitable. Survivalism was extremely popular back then, so much so that popular movies like "The Survivors" starring Walter Matthau and Robin Williams were all the rage.

In the 1990's Survivalism was alive and well, but it took on a more Constitutional flavor in the form of State Militias. These groups sprung up all over the country drawing in people from all walks of life into the movement. They stressed self reliance, weapons training and were mostly concerned with government infringement of rights.

Arsenal SGL31-94 Rifle
INT_5452.jpg

Today we know Survivalists as "Preppers". Preppers are essentially Survivalists of old but their concerns are focused on economic and political issues with a few folks thinking about 2012 (Mayan predictions) and even people concerned with asteroid or meteor strikes, solar flares, earth quakes, magnetic poll shifts and super volcanos. It's become so popular that we now have reality television shows cropping up like "Dooms Day Preppers" which continue to fan the flames of interest by the general public in being somewhat self reliant.

Key to many people who Prep is the weapon they choose as a "go to rifle". Many of the most popular discussions online center around "what rifle would you choose for SHTF?" These conversations are springing up on general firearms boards, not just Prepper or Survivalist boards - people want to talk about it.

Screen+shot+2012-02-24+at+12.14.22+PM.jpg

By far the most popular SHTF rifle in the United States is the AR15. In every online poll I've seen, the AR usually is at least twice as popular as the second most popular rifle, the AK. I attribute the interest in the AR to it being America's rifle. The M16 is the longest serving U.S. service rifle in history. It's everywhere and millions of Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen have been trained in its use.

Being a former Marine, I know and trust the AR15. It's a good rifle. But when it came time for me to choose a SHTF rifle, I gave the obvious choice (the AR) a good-hard look. After much thought, shooting and comparing of the rifles, I decided the AK was the best rifle for my needs.

I've read many arguments against using the AK as a primary rifle for SHTF. I'll address the most common arguments against its use and explain why I choose the rifle for my own needs.

You will find more spare parts and ammo for the AR15.
Many of those that choose the AR15 claim they do so because it's the most common semi-automatic rifle in the country. As such, they believe they'll have an infinite source of spare parts, magazines and ammo lying about that they can either scavenge off of dead Soldiers and civilians or they can barter/trade for.

Modern sights, rails and hand guards on an AK
INT_5466.jpg

I'm of the opinion that if your survival plans call for finding spare parts, magazines and ammo vs. stocking up on such things before something bad happens, you should probably rethink your plan. I believe that most SHTF situations will be relatively short lived. I believe the most likely scenarios will be short term failures of local, state or even perhaps federal governments. I can't see too many plausible scenarios where modern civilization is thrown back into the stone ages indefinitely. If you can survive for 6 months to a year, I believe you're well prepared. Should the S still be Hitting The Fan 6 months to a year later, at least by having 6 months to a year of supplies on hand (food/water/medicine) you're in a position to prepare for a longer term failure of government.

I have rifles that are 20 years old that have never broken a part. I have at least 50 magazines for my primary rifle. I have cases of ammo sitting stored in tin cans to feed the rifles I have for years. If I really thought a firing pin, hammer, trigger, spring, or something else were going to break, I would buy a spare parts kit before something bad happened and have it in my kit. The chances of finding a M16, magazines or even cases of ammo lying about after a SHTF scenario happens is highly unlikely. How many M16's, magazines and cases of ammo do you think people in New Orleans found lying about after Katrina?

The AK isn't as accurate as the AR15.
What people fail to realize is that even if local governments collapse for 4 months, government *is* coming back. Order will be restored eventually. Laws aren't typically suspended because of natural disasters or because riots break out. If you shoot someone at 500 yards there's a good chance you will answer to a jury of your peers for that shooting, and good luck convincing that jury you were justified in killing someone 500 yards away. Most self defense situations will take place at much closer ranges, within 100 yards or less. While the AR15 has a slight accuracy advantage, it's only marginal at best and certainly isn't as drastic as many folks tend to believe. The AK is quite capable of repeatedly hitting a man sized target at 100, 200 or even 300 yards. The AK isn't a bench rest competition rifle, but then combat isn't a bench rest competition.

The AK isn't as ergonomic as the AR15.
A bone stock rack grade AK isn't that ergonomic to a Western shooter, it's true. We're accustom to different firearms here in the United States and the AR15 is still considered one of the most ergonomic rifles on the market. By taking a training course centered around the AK rifle such as those offered by Tactical Response, a Western shooter will quickly become acclimated to the AK rifle and perhaps, like me, prefer it over rifles such as the AR15.

US PALM pistol grip
INT_5469.jpg

What I find interesting is that many people who claim the AK is uncomfortable to operate also love rifles like the M1 Garand, M1A or M1 Carbine yet they never complain about the ergonomics these rifle share with the AK.

The AK has a number of accessories made by U.S. companies that are well designed and of good quality that drastically improve the base ergonomics of the AK rifle. New pistol grips, stocks, railed front hand guards, safety levers, sights, etc. are available for the AK making it more comfortable to the Western shooter.

Here's why I choose the AK.

It's simple to operate. My rifles have (6) moving parts. A bolt, trigger, safety, magazine release, rear sight and a folding stock. The AK has large parts that fit together without tiny pins holding everything in place. They can even be field stripped with winter gloves on, try that with an AR15.

It's incredibly reliable. The AK is one of the few rifles in the world that can continue to function without much maintenance at all. When things go south, the last thing I want to have to worry about is cleaning my rifle because it got dropped in a mud puddle or hasn't been cleaned in 3 weeks. I want a low maintenance weapon that doesn't consume much of my time or energy to keep functioning and doesn't require special lubes, Q-Tips and pipe cleaners to stay squeaky clean.

The cheapest ammo on the market right now is 5.45x39. This is the caliber I choose for my SHTF AK for that reason, and because I prefer the ballistics of it over the 7.62x39. I can buy 1280 rounds of 5.45x39 for less than $150. That means I can affordably buy plenty of ammo for both training and for storage.

In the end you should pick the rifle that best suits your needs. Buying an AK because I choose to use one, or because someone else chooses an AK isn't a good idea. It's a personal decision that only you can make. Weigh your options carefully and give it some thought. After you make your decision, learn to use your weapon. Take a fighting rifle course. Shoot from the standing, kneeling, sitting and prone positions. Learn to shoot on the move. Learn how to clear malfunctions and how to do reloads. All of this can be taught to you by a good shooting school.

Military Arms Channel Blog: SHTF: Why I Choose the AK

Most of his points are his own opinion rather than facts. Noone will prefer a less accurate rifle over a more accurate one. Higher recoil of the AK is not preferred because it is not an easy rifle to use when it comes in shtf scenario, which is mostly defending yourself and your family against unknown number of enemies. You have to think if you are out of the fight your wife and kids will need to use the weapon with marginal loss of performance. There is no such instance in a shtf instance where you will not prepare to engage an enemy or target at 500 yards, thats just idiotic. There are a lot of things that should be done completely opposite of what he has suggested. Anyway he loves the AK and there is nothing wrong with that, its just that the reason he is giving are pretty bogus and that seems to be my "personal" opinion which could be wrong as well.

The purpose of posting these kind of articles here is to encourage discourse

Most of his points are his own opinion rather than facts. Noone will prefer a less accurate rifle over a more accurate one. Higher recoil of the AK is not preferred because it is not an easy rifle to use when it comes in shtf scenario, which is mostly defending yourself and your family against unknown number of enemies. You have to think if you are out of the fight your wife and kids will need to use the weapon with marginal loss of performance. There is no such instance in a shtf instance where you will not prepare to engage an enemy or target at 500 yards, thats just idiotic. There are a lot of things that should be done completely opposite of what he has suggested. Anyway he loves the AK and there is nothing wrong with that, its just that the reason he is giving are pretty bogus and that seems to be my "personal" opinion which could be wrong as well.

Dear sir,

I think you have a very valid point about long range shooting, but from what i have seen most gun owners can barely shoot 150 to 200 yards, now if you are looking to reach 500 to 600 yards you seriously need to look a FAL imbel or PTR 91 (G3 semi auto), and keep in mind .308 kicks like mule.

The military channel guy has given his view, and following is mine.

What is SHTF, it can mean different things for different people, it can be protecting your family from armed assailants during riots, It can be bio-terror, natural calamity, etc etc.

to focus on the firearm part of the SHTF contingency, One needs to determine his immediate threat perception along his home, transit, and if needed bugging out.

from @ANTIBODY 's opening post, One thing I can agree to indeed AK is a do it all rifle, it may not perfect for all scenarios but if ou are on a budget, and want a formidable system, you cannot go wrong with the AK.
  • The first and foremost reason is 7.62 x 39mm round, it's a stubby b@stard of a round, the terminal ballistics are good, even if the velocity may not match the Ar15's around. This round is glamorous enough that the american tried to replicate similar charecteristics in .300 blackout (7.62 x 35mm)

• reliability, many have sung ballads for it's reliability hence I wont

• Cost of ammo, especially surplus russian and warsaw pact nation + chinese ammo is extremely affordable, the magazines are indestructible and also inexpensive, What that means is in 1000$ you can have a the most reliable rifle with 1500 rounds of rock and roll

• Mobility- Ak's are light, you can remove the buttock with a simple screwdriver, and it will easily fit in the driver cabin of any car, and you will also be able to shoot it in case of transit contingency.

In my house hold both me and my wife are good shooters, we have our own favourites to go to, My wife likes her 9mm pistol and can get really accurate with it, but in case of a home invasion scenario, 12g pump action has always been the go to gun. Next we do have 7.62 x 51 bolt action long range rifle with a 8x24 -50 mil *** scope, but due to our urban environment I doubt we would ever be in a situation to shoot over 150 yards.

Evacuation: So the question is if you do need to voluntarily bug out from you house, which rifle should you carry, best option would be to carry all of them in the truck, for worst situation my bug out bag has 200 rounds of 7.62 x 39 and 400 rounds of 9mm.

btw if crap does hit the fan @Ghareeb_Da_Baal i'm going to look you up...

Last edited by a moderator:
btw if crap does hit the fan @Ghareeb_Da_Baal i'm going to look you up...

Bro, anytime.
BTW, I just stocked up on MK262 Mod1 ammo for my AR to make it casue damage to zombies as if hit by a much larger bullet..
I now have 3x9 Scope and I am putting a Micro red d@t over the scope ring for CQB rande.

I also just got sig in 7.62x39 and I just have the ML2 red *** over it.

Bro, anytime.
BTW, I just stocked up on MK262 Mod1 ammo for my AR to make it casue damage to zombies as if hit by a much larger bullet..
I now have 3x9 Scope and I am putting a Micro red d@t over the scope ring for CQB rande.

I also just got this one in 7.62x39 and I just have the ML2 red ***.
That is saweeeet... post pics and review of your gear when u get a chance.....

After viewing all these threads on AKs im seriously thinkin of customising my weapons...
@sandy_3126 dude ur AK looks sesky... :D

Your amd65 s are super cool, red *** would be a good option

Thanks bro... also asked folks back home to get another russian AK... planning to customise it into something like this:

rr5g74.jpg

Except maybe keep the original buttstock... and add a drum mag.

@Rescue Ranger sir contribute to the thread... im sure uve got alot up ur sleeve..:)

Most of his points are his own opinion rather than facts. Noone will prefer a less accurate rifle over a more accurate one.

Millions of people disagree with that opinion, many people including current and former military servicemen chose less accuracy over better reliability, easier maintenance, and more penetration for their duty weapon or personal weapon.

Higher recoil of the AK is not preferred because it is not an easy rifle to use when it comes in

Have you ever personally shot an AK? The recoil is not as much as you make it out to be especially if a muzzle brake is used. The AK-74 chambered in the 5.45X39 has less recoil then an M-16/AR-15.

scenario, which is mostly defending yourself and your family against unknown number of enemies. You have to think if you are out of the fight your wife and kids will need to use the weapon with marginal loss of performance. There is no such instance in a shtf instance where you will not prepare to engage an enemy or target at 500 yards, thats just idiotic.

For one an AK, at least the one chambered in 5.45X39, can easily hit human size targets at 500 yards away. In fact the AK series especially the quality models can hit very tight groupings, for example 1 inch groups at 100 yards.The shooter plays the biggest role, quality ammo is also a factor.

Thanks bro... also asked folks back home to get another russian AK... planning to customise it into something like this:

rr5g74.jpg

Except maybe keep the original buttstock... and add a drum mag.

Drum mags are not very tactical. And those plasticy picitany rails are homo.

Drum mags are not very tactical. And those plasticy picitany rails are homo.

Im not going for CQB either... as for plastic picatinny rails... try the aluminium ones.... and the pic was just an example... i intend to keep the furniture etc original.

Im not going for CQB either... as for plastic picatinny rails... try the aluminium ones.

Most Realistic situations such as zombie outbreak or someone breaking into your home will warrant close quarter combat. That is why I always recommend a tactical vest and plenty of magazines. A quality red-*** also does wonders for quick target acquisition. And why is d-o-t encrypted?

Drum magazines are nice since you reload less often but you can only carry so many of them. I prefer more magazines, good tactics kills zombies.

Back
Top Bottom