What's new

SHOULD WE NOT?

javedm

Reaction score
Chief Justice has been restored to his seat. The people and media in general and the advocates in particular termed it the victory of justice. Advocates, people, intellectuals are labeling it as a landmark judgment and according to them the Courts were now free, Pakistan’s history has been re-written and so on. Sweets have been distributed. Just half an hour after the decision an advocate of Islamabad was saying this decision was not the end rather it was the only end of first phase of their struggle. This advocate stated few hours from then in the evening an Action Committee of advocates was scheduled to meet to chalk out strategy to start the next phase of their struggle. Etc. Justice ® Sajjad Ali Shah was the only person to my knowledge who on TV though did not say in explicit words but his impression wisely looked “let us wait and see”.

I was during 1967 to 1975 working in a very big semi autonomous body. We had more than 20-25 foreign experts working with us. They were really the good experts. One Swiss national worked there for about 10 years. He liked Pakistan so much that he wanted spend life here and accordingly applied for Pakistani nationality which however he could not get. On his return back he wrote a book covering his stay in Pakistan. It was really a very interesting and thought provoking book. He was all praises for the Pakistani people who according to him were very energetic, full of skills, hard working etc. He wrote that Pakistani nation was a nation with a great mixture of qualities. He writes these people first in Factories raise slogans, go on strike, damage their own factories/properties demanding their existing leaders (Union leaders) to be expelled out of the Factories. The owners then lock out the Factories. These people remain outside the Factories without any pay suffering but keep on struggle to bring their “new leadership”. After some period through the Courts or through bargaining they re-enter the Factory taking their new leadership on their shoulders with currency garlands around leaders necks. Very next day the same people who struggled jointly, start shouting against the new leadership they brought only yesterday and disintegrate themselves into small groups fighting with each other.

The Advocate through their unseen before unity and dedication to one point have succeeded in their efforts. But now the main point is would they in the next few months remain united as they had been from March to July? I very much doubt because it is against our nature. We have seen in these 60 years many ‘ittehads” but only to be broken in very short time.

This was a very strange struggle analysis of which is difficult for a common man like me. Whatever one may say the naked fact is this was such a movement in which the aggrieved Mr. Justice Iftikhar Ahmed Choudhary sitting in the car moved out from his home with his driver Aitzaz Ahsan on the driving seat. No one, it is a hard naked fact, invited others to follow the car of Mr. Justice Iftikhar Ahmed but people of different walk, at different cross sections kept joining. There was no “leader’ of these caravans and struggles. The Head of the Bench Mr. Justice Ramday advised that who wins he should pay his gratitude to ALLAH. I personally believe if Advocates or people really wish to pay their thanks for this achievement then they should after ALLAH be thankful to the Law Minister and Information Minister who played a pivotal role in this success. On TV and in their statements they twisted the facts so much that even an ordinary man in the street who due to today’s media technology has vision more than a highly educated bureaucrat, saw all this with open eyes which statements created a sort of hatered against the ruling class cementing more the general belief that there was something fishy in the whole episode. Nation should be thankful to these two gentlemen and remember their very tactful services in getting this Reference dropped. At the same time Pakistan should I think claim Aitzaz Ahsan to be entered in Genuine Books of Record as the world’s longest hours driver who drove 36-45 hours continuously with coming out of it.

Back
Top Bottom