What's new

Saudi Arabia to buy more Typhoon, upgrades existing fleet

Arabian Legend

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia to buy more Typhoon, upgrades existing fleet

Eurofighter_Weapons_Array_lg.jpg

Europe’s largest defence contractor is looking to build upon the 72 Eurofighter Typhoon jets it sold to Saudi earlier this year.

We continue to see a high level of activity in international markets, including from our presence in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Chief executive Ian King

Chief executive Ian King said: “We continue to see a high level of activity in international markets, including from our presence in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

“Our relationship with our Saudi Arabian customers is very strong.” Orders with Saudi Arabia are expected to be for further Typhoon combat jets and upgrades to existing ones.

The company reported a 1.9 per cent nudge up in pre-tax profits to £541million in the first half.

Sales were down 11 per cent to £7.6billion because the timing of the delivery of Typhoon aircraft and other orders are weighted towards the second half. BAE, which is building two new aircraft carriers for Britain, said it was “finalising” £1.3billion worth of international orders and £1billion of naval contracts.

BAE considered a high-profile merger with European passenger jet Airbus-owner EADS in 2012, although the deal collapsed amid political divisions.

King yesterday rebuffed suggestions the deal could be revisited and said BAE had “a bright independent future”.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAE is finalising £1.3bn of orders with Saudi Arabia, which involve upgrades to Typhoon’s capability. Mr King expressed optimism that there could be more deals with the country, which is BAE’s most important military customer after the UK and the US.

BAE look to sell new jets to Saudi Arabia | City & Business | Finance | Daily Express

BAE optimistic over Mideast orders for Eurofighter - FT.com

Is KSA preparing for a future showdown with Israel ?

Whom are these for ? yemeni rebels ?

Must admit makes me jealous as hell of oil money.

Why purchasing more EFs when your air force is already very powerful and you are not going to fight a war specially with Israel?

How KSA's EF see IDF planes as friends or foes on their IFF??

Now with having a large fleet of 4.5 gen fighters KSA should have invested in having a 5th gen plane as Israel will have it soon.

X posting from the other thread

$ 4.43 billion for 72 Typhoons works to around $61 million per plane.

On the other hand, India is expected to cough up around $120-150 million per plane for Rafale with the corollary that half of that i.e $ 60-75 million will be spent in India as offset and the rest is premium for ToT.

Even including offset and ToT Rafale deal seems steep to me.
How much ToT and offset did Saudis get ?

Can anyone with knowledge do a comparative analysis of Typhoon deal that Saudi got with proposed Indian deal for Rafale.

@Dillinger @sandy_3126 @Oscar @Bang Galore @sancho @Capt.Popeye

Last edited:
X posting from the other thread

Can anyone with knowledge do a comparative analysis of Typhoon deal that Saudi got with proposed Indian deal for Rafale.

@Dillinger @sandy_3126 @Oscar
quite difficult as now concrete data is available from the Indian side.Rest assured India will look to squeeze out the most out of this, and so will the french. Final numbers will be surprising for most.

Israel hasn't fired a single bullet toward KSA ever since she was created, and she likely won't be doing so. KSA has no issue with any state, it never had, and will never be.

The are no rebels in Yemen. Their revolt resulted into a peaceful transition of power without an armed uprising.

There are militants, terror groups in Yemen though. Some of which have been out there for over 20 years. These groups aren't KSA's responsibilities either, as long as they are sticking their rage to themselves.

Must admit makes me jealous as hell of oil money

Admission expected. But your own country is spending billions upon billions on weapons at the moment where she should be spending these billions on other things.

Must admit makes me jealous as hell of oil money.

Last edited:
Israel hasn't fired a single bullet toward KSA ever since she was created, and she likely won't be doing so. KSA has no issue with any state, it never had, and will never be.

The are no rebels in Yemen. Their revolt into a peaceful transition of power without an armed uprising.

There are militants, terror groups in Yemen though. Some of which have been out there for over 20 years. These groups aren't KSA's responsibilities either, as long as they are sticking their rage to themselves.

Admission expected. But your own country is spending billions upon billions on weapons at the moment where she should be spending these billions on other things.

(takes a bow)

Thank you for your reply.

:P

@Yzd Khalifa @ other saudi members:

Why are so many jets being purchased?

The only threat I see is Iran but Saudi airforce is already many times more powerful than Iranian currently. To me it seems like buying planes for the sake of it rather than for a real security threat

Saudi air force has the best inventory in ME.

KSA doesn't look forward to having the best Air Force in the ME or elsewhere, but rather the best self-defensive Air Force.

@Yzd Khalifa @ other saudi members:

Why are so many jets being purchased?

The only threat I see is Iran but Saudi airforce is already many times more powerful than Iranian currently. To me it seems like buying planes for the sake of it rather than for a real security threat

Iran is one of the threat matrix we face in the long run.

We are ~7 years ahead of withdrawing the F-15E & the Tornados of the front line Air Force inventory. That's why we are going after an extensive upgrade program.

Back
Top Bottom