What's new

Saudi Arabia maybe interested in acquiring 5 Type 209 Submarines

Egypt purchased two units for less than a billion euro. 500 million euros per unit is too much ...
Egyptian Mod is planning to exercise an option for two additional Type 209 diesel electric submarines from TKMS Germany. The 920 million euros contract for the first two submarines was signed in 2011 and the first vessel, is scheduled to be delivered in 2016.
Egypt; Mod intends to procurer two more Type-209 subs

2011 : 920 million euro : 460 million apiece
It is now 2014 and it depends what specific equipment you put in, plus what the rest of the deal includes (package of ordnance, spares, support, training etc'. BESIDES, THere are 209s and 209s, if you know what I mean.

v5fxjd.jpg

Sans%2Btitre%2B2.bmp

u214arrangement.jpg

In April 2004, the government of Portugal and the German Submarine Consortium a contract worth 800 million Euro for development and construction of two Class 209 PN submarines with one more as option. Class 209 PN features an air independent propulsion (AIP) system based on fuel cells. Powered by fuel cells would become the most sophisticated 209 submarine ever built. Portuguese Navy was expected to commission these submarines in 2009 and 2010.
Class 209 PN
NRP Tridente Type 209PN
Unitary Cost: USD$500 million

In December 2011, Daewoo won a contract to build Indonesia three 1,400-ton Chang Bogo-class submarines for USD1.07 billion. Construction of the submarines will start in January 2012 for delivery by 2015 and 2016, for commissioning in the first half of 2018.
Singapore Buys New Subs | malaysiaflyingherald
ROKN Chang Bogo Class Submarines - Naval Technology
note: The Chang Bogo class is a variant of the Type 209-1200 > 359 million dollar each
(but this is not anywhere near the 209PN)

A variant of the Type 214 will be known as the Type 214TN (Turkish Navy). HDW will preassemble structural and mechanical parts of the submarine in Germany, or classified elements such as the fuel cells and propulsion system and will then ship them to Turkey. All electronic and weapon systems (including the C4I system) will be of Turkish design and production. On 1 July 2011, the 2 billion euros order for six U 214 submarine material packages placed with ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems by Turkey entered into force with receipt of the advance payment.
Type 214 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, the 214TN will be at least 333 million euro (not counting the value of any Turkish electronics and weapons)

Dolphin SSK (German/Israeli)-$635 million
Type 209 SSK (German/Portugal)-$550 million
Type 212 SSK (Germany)-$525 million
Type 214 SSK (Germany)-$500 million
Warship Costs | New Wars

What are these %19 Germany's is going to install? Could they be sensitive tech?

%81 is the share of Turkish institutes contributed into program. Some of Institutes are going to manufacture U-214TN parts under the collaboration with German equivalent institutes;(ToT). With this way, Turkish naval industry would have been passed a technological obstacle to commence on own designed submarine program called MilDen. %19 of U-214TN will be pure German product containing propulsion and battery system.

Command/Control center of U-214TN along with softwares, including source codes will be owned by Havelsan. Havelsan along with STM will be able to modify/integrate/upgrade/maintain 214TN submarines in accordance with Turkish requirements.

U-214TN submarines would have been certified for domestic AKYA heavy weight domestic torpedoes and Sub-ATMACA Anti-Ship Missile.

Besides, Roketsan joined into development of German IDAS missile program. Roketsan will be responsible for development, qualification and series production of the IDAS warhead, support testing of CAS (Control Actuation System), participate in system level design activities and perform a work share in the series production of the CAS

In your opinion, which submarine should the Saudis go for? France's Scorpion class sub, or Germany's T-209, or T-214, or T-218, or Italy's S-1000 or maybe Spain's S-80-class?

Egypt; Mod intends to procurer two more Type-209 subs

2011 : 920 million euro : 460 million apiece
It is now 2014 and it depends what specific equipment you put in, plus what the rest of the deal includes (package of ordnance, spares, support, training etc'. BESIDES, THere are 209s and 209s, if you know what I mean.

v5fxjd.jpg

Sans%2Btitre%2B2.bmp

u214arrangement.jpg

Class 209 PN
NRP Tridente Type 209PN
Unitary Cost: USD$500 million

Singapore Buys New Subs | malaysiaflyingherald
ROKN Chang Bogo Class Submarines - Naval Technology
note: The Chang Bogo class is a variant of the Type 209-1200 > 359 million dollar each
(but this is not anywhere near the 209PN)

Type 214 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, the 214TN will be at least 333 million euro (not counting the value of any Turkish electronics and weapons)

Warship Costs | New Wars

In your opinion, which submarine should the Saudis go for? France's Scorpion class sub, or Germany's T-209, or T-214, or T-218, or Italy's S-1000 or maybe Spain's S-80-class?
None.

Only Nuclear submarines are cool.

Hopefully we'll be Inducting home-made boomers and hunters-killers by 2020 !!! :D

Damn 25 subs now that is/would be one hell of a force o_O
Though i hardly think the pricing/numbers in the article are right.
And why the old 209 dinosaurs?
Anyways congrats on the sub purchases if true :)

Damn 25 subs now that is/would be one hell of a force o_O
Though i hardly think the pricing/numbers in the article are right.
And why the old 209 dinosaurs?
Anyways congrats on the sub purchases if true :)

No, nothing of a 25 order :lol: It just is a hoax.

We certainly need no more than 7 subs.

I don't think there is much different between the 209PN and 214... but both are significantly different from Type 212A, which is closer to Dolphin (or vice versa)

Type209-1400mod (South African)
Type209Sydafrika.jpg

Type 209PN (NRP Tridente, Portugal)
Chegada_do_submarino_NRP_Tridente_%C3%A0_Base_Naval_do_Alfeite.jpg

Type 214 (ROKNS Kim Jwa-jin, South Korea)
KSS-II+-Type+214.gif

Type 212A (Italy)
Submarine_Scire_(S-527).jpg

Dolphin (Israel)
SP0000_0600x0450x0072_000x000000_id990@jpg.png

Q0218474140108101153.jpg

The 218SG (based on the 216 base model) is, well, a different ballgame.
VnFv6WQKdKb-d4fmx-EJ8zl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

S-80 = Scorpene
S-1000 = joint RUssian-Italian 'advanced Amur'

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2013

The German weekly Bild am Sonntag said on Sunday that Saudi Arabia wanted to purchase five German Type 209 submarines for 12 billion euros ($16.5 billion). The paper said that in the long term, the kingdom was interested in buying altogether 25 of the vessels.

The newspaper said it had information that the German chancellery had in the summer already signaled a willingness to examine such requests from Saudi Arabia "favorably" as soon as a new government was in place.

The submarines would be constructed by the Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (HDW) and the Nordseewerke Emden, both shipbuilding companies located in the north of Germany, according to the report.

For KSA, UAE, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco and Oman. Better to do JV with Germans and French on submarines rather than buying it:
3500 Tons SSK
1600 Tons SSK
0700 Tons Coastal
0110 Tons Special Force
Rescue Submarines

For KSA, UAE, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco and Oman. Better to do JV with Germans and French on submarines rather than buying it:
3500 Tons SSK
1600 Tons SSK
0700 Tons Coastal
0110 Tons Special Force
Rescue Submarines

Apart from the UAE, Algeria, and KSA none of the states you mentioned are interested.

Apart from the UAE, Algeria, and KSA none of the states you mentioned are interested.
I am sure if KSA will try on its own then UAE, Oman and Yemen would be in partner to start up JV with Germans on:
3500 Tons SSK
1600 Tons SSK
0700 Tons Coastal
0110 Tons Special Force
Rescue Submarines

Along with Military and commercial ship building as well.

I swear that numbers were in tens if not hundreds few months ago. I think someone had posted it here. Because I red it on this forum.

@Penguin

Hey there, how has it been? Hope you're doing good.

Last time we spoke, I asked you about the best option the Saudi Navy should go for if they intend to introduce a submarine-service force, but I haven't gotten a response from you so far.

@Penguin

Hey there, how has it been? Hope you're doing good.

Last time we spoke, I asked you about the best option the Saudi Navy should go for if they intend to introduce a submarine-service force, but I haven't gotten a response from you so far.
There are only a few submarine producers. Rubin (Russia), DCNS (France), Kockums (Sweden), HDW (Germany), Navantia (Spain), China, USA. Kockums if now part of TKMS, which also owns HDW (and is now strangling Kockums in favor of HDW). My best bet would be Germany (HDW > 214) or DCNS (Scorpene).

Back
Top Bottom