What's new

Saudi Arabia announces 20% defence budget increase

Arabian Legend

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia announces 20% defence budget increase

• Saudi Arabia has announced a defence budget of SAR302.9 million: a 20.5% increase over the previous year
  • It is the highest annual defence and security increase since 2007, and represents the largest share of total national spending since 2001
Saudi Arabia has increased expenditure on defence and security by 20.5% to SAR302.9 billion (USD80.8 billion for 2014), the largest nominal annual increase in the budget since 2007.

According to data released by the Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency (SAMA) on 12 June, spending on defence and security will increase to 35.4% of total national spending; the highest level since 2001.

Saudi Arabia announces 20% defence budget increase - IHS Jane's 360

Last edited:
This figure is shocking to most but not to me. I hope KSA makes greatest use of this budget. With this budget there must be people who could deliver. Don't keep buying weapons from foreign nations. Get licenses to produce from them.

With 80$ billion budget you must be very capable. That is four times Turkey/Israel budget but Saudi Arabia needs to get itself to a point where it could fair well against developed nations with 20$ billion budget.

KSA is is going through a transition stage. I hope this amount of cash is used for building a befitting military industrial complex.

The increase is because of the Navy's deal(s). The Navy if reports I heard were true is going to become the forward facing force of KSA in the future in stead of the Air Force. KSA wants to absorb the US's role in the region. And that is a large undertaking.

have u read history

Have you?

Are you trolling us? :D

Go ask a Saudi sailor who do they train 'against' as potential adversaries.

Iranian Navy will be blown to pieces by Saudi Air Force. They can establish air dominance in matter of hours. So if RSAN's focus is not on Iran than on who?

They are buying Lockheed Martin LCS for Iran, to fight in Green Waters - but who the Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers and FREMM class frigates and Marlin Class or U-214 class subs for - that too 6 of them ?

Go ask a Saudi sailor who do they train 'against' as potential adversaries.

Iranian Navy will be blown to pieces by Saudi Air Force. They can establish air dominance in matter of hours. So if RSAN's focus is not on Iran than on who?

They are buying Lockheed Martin LCS for Iran, to fight in Green Waters - but who the Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers and FREMM class frigates and Marlin Class or U-214 class subs for - that too 6 of them ?

Could that be as a result of Saudi/Pakistan ever improving ties in your opinion?

Back
Top Bottom