What's new

Saudi Arabia ‘did not blur' uncovered Michelle Obama on TV

Al Bhatti

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
January 28, 2015

Saudi Arabia ‘did not blur' uncovered Michelle Obama on TV
Saudi embassy criticises reports after First Lady's public appearance without headscarf

Gulf social media users have poured scorn on online claims that Saudi state television blurred out Michelle Obama as she made a public appearance in Riyadh with her head uncovered.

The US First Lady accompanied her husband President Barack Obama to the Saudi capital where they met the new Saudi king Salman Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud.

The claims were mentioned in reports that emerged on Tuesday following the visit by Obama to Riyadh where he had talks with King Salman.

However, Saudis said that the reports were erroneous and that the Saudi television beamed the welcome at the airport without blurring or leaving out the First Lady.

Pictures posted by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) included close shots of Michelle Obama alongside her husband and Saudi leaders.

Ahmad Qushmaq, a Saudi blogger, said that people just needed to watch the official broadcast, posting a link to the clip taken off Saudi national television.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Report by Bloomberg View&#39;s Josh Rogin that Saudi TV &quot;blurred&quot; image of First Lady Michelle Obama is FALSE. Should check facts, not Facebook</p>&mdash; Saudi Embassy (@SaudiEmbassyUSA) <a href=" ">January 27, 2015</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Too bad Bloomberg did not have someone monitor Saudi TV as other news outlets did. <a href="Michelle Obama Not Blurred Out on Saudi TV - Washington Wire - WSJ">http://t.co/2ZM0vgJs3f</a></p>&mdash; Saudi Embassy (@SaudiEmbassyUSA) <a href=" ">January 28, 2015</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Saudi Arabia did not issue an official comment on the Obama deletion allegations and the media have opted to ignore it.

However, the Saudi embassy in Washington posted on its Twitter account that “report by Bloomberg View’s Josh Rogin that Saudi TV ‘blurred’ image of First Lady Michelle Obama is FALSE. Should check facts, not Facebook.”

An article in the Wall Street Journal said “video clips circulated online Tuesday that purported to show that Saudi state television blurred out First Lady Michelle Obama at a meeting between President Barack Obama and the new Saudi king.”

“However, observers of the live broadcast — including a Wall Street Journal reporter in the country — said that there was no blurring of Mrs Obama, and that the broadcast showed her shaking hands with King Salman.

The Saudi embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to a request for comment, it added.

In a statement provided to Bloomberg View, the embassy’s information director said: “Saudi TV has been showing the total arrival ceremony at the airport and at the Palace and nowhere is anything blurred.”

Various clips posted of the ceremony elsewhere show no blurring of Mrs. Obama or of her handshake with the new king, the report said.

Mohammad Ghatam, a blogger, said that Michelle Obama was not the first high-profile woman to visit Riyadh.

“Lady Diana was there back in 1986 as part of a multi-state tour to the Middle East,” he said. “She was of course modestly dressed, but she did not wear a headscarf and there was no fuss whatsoever,” he said.

Mohammad Jaber found the blurring out allegations “totally ridiculous”.

“This is a very cheap shot by some people who are looking to stir trouble or target Saudi Arabia and Muslims,” Mohammad, an analyst in Bahrain, said. “We are no longer shocked or surprised by such attempts because they denote a sick mentality that we do not wish to dignify with reactions or serious comments.

"I wonder where these people who wish to propagate that Saudi Arabia is against women when HaMevaser, a newspaper in Israel this month altered a picture of the march in Paris to remove Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany. She was removed even though the whole world saw that she was right there next to the president of France marching through the streets of Paris. They also deleted Anne Hidalgo, the mayor of Paris, and Simonetta Sommaruga, the president of Switzerland.”

Saudis have also dismissed allegations that Michelle Obama’s looks made headlines in their country.

A hashtag about her hair not being covered was used on Twitter, but Saudis said they were not behind it.

Several users criticised Michelle for not covering her hair, presenting several social and religious arguments and claiming that she had covered it while she was in Indonesia.

However, others said that she was free to cover or not cover and that the Indonesia episode was when she entered a mosque.

“People visiting mosques must be appropriately dressed, just like women visiting churches in Italy for instance are required to cover their bare arms and shoulders,” Jaber said.

Saudi Arabia ‘did not blur' uncovered Michelle Obama on TV | GulfNews.com

--------------------

I am not good with using technology, I tried to embed the tweet but it did not show correctly.

Last edited:
Somehow I find it weird that the expat women in Saudi have to wear abayas while Michelle Obama doesnt even have to cover her head. Was this exception made because she's the first lady???
Dont get me wrong here...I am curious as to why 're other non muslim women expected to wear abayas when in KSA?

Somehow I find it weird that the expat women in Saudi have to wear abayas while Michelle Obama doesnt even have to cover her head. Was this exception made because she's the first lady???
Dont get me wrong here...I am curious as to why 're other non muslim women expected to wear abayas when in KSA?

Official visits to the country's head of state.
AP100524034640-638x416.jpg

AP120331113643-638x418.jpg

AP08051607324-638x398.jpg

AP070731021203-638x439.jpg

AP080516010990-638x343.jpg

Non-official visit to Jeddah

AP07102404081-638x493.jpg

Meaning we don't care what you wear in official state visits as long as we talk business. However, going out to the streets of Saudi Arabia is a whole different issue. Thus, the country's rules must be respected.

Official visits to the country's head of state.
AP100524034640-638x416.jpg

AP120331113643-638x418.jpg

AP08051607324-638x398.jpg

AP070731021203-638x439.jpg

AP080516010990-638x343.jpg

Non-official visit to Jeddah

AP07102404081-638x493.jpg

Meaning we don't care what you wear in official state visits as long as we talk business. However, going out to the streets of Saudi Arabia is a whole different issue. Thus, the country's rules must be respected.
Interesting!!!
:)

Back
Top Bottom