What's new

Sanction Myanmar And Give The Rohingya A State Of Their Own

Ya.. true story..
I am amazed to see that you made so much effort to write so much junk only to heal from burning??

Two obsolete training submarines from china in BOB warranted visit of Indian Defence minister with proposals that were rejected. Right now as we speak Entire Bhakt community including Zee news claiming that Bengal is becoming Bangladesh 24/7 . And this piece of trash tries to belittle Bangladesh. Go to your defence minister with your logic maybe instead of wasting our time. :lol:

12:00 AM, December 30, 2016 / LAST MODIFIED: 03:05 AM, December 30, 2016
Make Rohingya issue a priority

13 Nobel laureates including Prof Yunus, 10 global leaders write to UNSC on human tragedy unfolding in Myanmar; Bangladesh calls for early repatriation of 50,000 Myanmar citizens
Staff Correspondent

Twenty-three Nobel laureates and global leaders have urged the members of the UN Security Council (UNSC) to urgently put the persisting Rohingya crisis on the Security Council's agenda and to call upon the UN secretary-general to visit Myanmar as a priority.

“If the current secretary-general is able to do so, we would urge him to go; if not, we encourage the new secretary-general to make it one of his first tasks after he takes office in January,” reads an open letter sent to the president of the UNSC and to all its member states.

The dignitaries, who have made the joint plea for the Rohingyas, one of the world's most persecuted minorities, include the likes of Professor Muhammad Yunus, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Malala Yousafzai, Shirin Ebadi and Arianna Huffington.

The signatories that include 13 Nobel laureates and 10 other business people, philanthropists, activists and politicians of global repute expressed concern that Rohingya persecution in Myanmar bears the hallmarks of genocides and past tragedies like the ones in Rwanda, Darfur, Bosnia, and Kosovo.

They urged the United Nations to do everything possible to encourage the Myanmar government to lift all restrictions on humanitarian aid so that people receive emergency assistance.

“Access for journalists and human rights monitors should also be permitted, and an independent, international inquiry to establish the truth about the current situation should be established,” they said.

Their fervent plea came at a time when “a human tragedy amounting to ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity is unfolding in Myanmar”.

They observed, “Over the past two months, a military offensive by the Myanmar Army in Rakhine State has led to the killing of hundreds of Rohingya people. Over 30,000 people have been displaced.”

“Houses have been burned, women raped, many civilians arbitrarily arrested, and children killed. Crucially, access for humanitarian aid organisations has been almost completely denied, creating an appalling humanitarian crisis in an area already extremely poor.”

The open letter said, “Thousands [of Rohingyas] have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh, only to be sent back. Some international experts have warned of the potential for genocide. It has all the hallmarks of recent past tragedies -- Rwanda, Darfur, Bosnia, Kosovo.”

The dignitaries expressed frustration at Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi's non-initiative in ensuring rights of the Rohingyas.

In the letter, they said, “Despite repeated appeals to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, we are frustrated that she has not taken any initiative to ensure full and equal citizenship rights of the Rohingyas. Daw Suu Kyi is the leader and is the one with the primary responsibility to lead, and lead with courage, humanity and compassion.”

They said, “It is time for the international community as a whole to speak out much more strongly. After Rwanda, world leaders said 'never again'. If we fail to take action, people may starve to death if they are not killed with bullets, and we may end up being the passive observers of crimes against humanity which will lead us once again to wring our hands belatedly and say 'never again' all over again.”

The signatories include 11 Nobel laureates in Peace: Professor Muhammad Yunus (2006), José Ramos-Horta (1996), Máiread Maguire (1976), Betty Williams (1976), Archbishop Desmond Tutu (1984), Oscar Arias (1987), Jody Williams (1997), Shirin Ebadi (2003), Tawakkol Karman (2011), Leymah Gbowee (2011), and Malala Yousafzai (2014), and two Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine Sir Richard J Roberts (1993) and Elizabeth Blackburn (2009).

The other signatories are ex-Italian prime minister and foreign minister Romano Prodi and Emma Bonino; The Huffington Post Founder and Editor Arianna Huffington; business leaders and philanthropists Sir Richard Branson and Jochen Zeitz; business leader Paul Polman; entrepreneur and philanthropist Mo Ibrahim; SDG advocate and film director Richard Curtis; SDG advocate and fellow of the Voice of Libyan Women Alaa Murabit; and human rights activist Kerry Kennedy.

They referred to the head of the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on the Bangladesh side of the border, John McKissick, who has accused Myanmar's government of ethnic cleansing.

The UN's Special Rapporteur on human rights in Myanmar Yanghee Lee has condemned the restricted access to Rakhine State as “unacceptable,” they also noted.

The Nobel laureates observed that the Rohingyas are among the world's most persecuted minorities, who for decades have been subjected to a campaign of marginalisation and dehumanisation.

“In 1982, their rights to citizenship were removed, and they were rendered stateless, despite living in the country for generations. They have endured severe restrictions on movement, marriage, education and religious freedom. Yet despite the claims by government and military, and many in society, that they are in fact illegal Bengali immigrants who have crossed the border, Bangladesh does not recognise them either,” they stated.

They further noted that Rohingyas' plight intensified dramatically in 2012 when two severe outbreaks of violence resulted in the displacement of hundreds of thousands and a new apartheid between Rohingya Muslims and their Rakhine Buddhist neighbours. “Since then they have existed in ever more dire conditions.”

They also observed that the latest crisis was sparked by an attack on Myanmar border police posts on October 9, in which nine Myanmar police officers were killed.

“The truth about who carried out the attack, how and why, is yet to be established, but the Myanmar military accuse a group of Rohingyas. Even if that is true, the military's response has been grossly disproportionate. It would be one thing to round up suspects, interrogate them and put them on trial. It is quite another to unleash helicopter gunships on thousands of ordinary civilians and to rape women and throw babies into a fire,” they said.

The open letter referred to one Rohingya, interviewed by the Amnesty International, who said, “They shot at people who were fleeing. They surrounded the village and started going from house to house. They were verbally abusing the people. They were threatening to rape the women.”

It also mentioned another witness describing how her two sons were arbitrarily arrested: “It was early in the morning, the military surrounded our house, while some came in and forced me and my children to go outside. They tied my two sons up. They tied their hands behind their backs, and they were beaten badly.”

“The military kicked them in the chest. I saw it myself. I was crying so loudly. When I cried, they [the military] pointed a gun at me. My children were begging the military not to hit them. They were beaten for around 30 minutes before being taken away.” She said she has not seen them since.

http://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/make-rohingya-issue-priority-1337692

Also, I think Bangladesh should do a lot more than it's currently doing. The Rohingya are pretty much a Bangladeshi people. Bangladesh should at the very least set up refugee camps for the Rohingya who are fleeing Burmese persecution.
Banglafdesh has done much more for the Rohingyas than any other countries. It is sheltering about 400,000 Rohingyas already since the 1st half of 1970's. The last two months saw another influx of 50,000 Rohingyas.

Why do you think Rohingyas are from BD? It is like saying that Iraq conquers Kuwait, and forces its lawful citizens leave their own country. Do you remember Saddam Hossain of Iraq? Same is with Rohingyas. They are the residents of Arakan, Burma annexes it in 1852 by a British mandate. Learn, you Arab before you vomit again.

So, now tell us your opinion about the Palestinians. Should they obey the Jewish demand of leaving their lands in Palestine and disperse among the nearby desert Arabs? They should, isn't it? Because, it is the lame argument you are putting for the Rohingyas.

Last edited:
12:00 AM, December 30, 2016 / LAST MODIFIED: 03:05 AM, December 30, 2016
Make Rohingya issue a priority

13 Nobel laureates including Prof Yunus, 10 global leaders write to UNSC on human tragedy unfolding in Myanmar; Bangladesh calls for early repatriation of 50,000 Myanmar citizens
Staff Correspondent

Twenty-three Nobel laureates and global leaders have urged the members of the UN Security Council (UNSC) to urgently put the persisting Rohingya crisis on the Security Council's agenda and to call upon the UN secretary-general to visit Myanmar as a priority.

“If the current secretary-general is able to do so, we would urge him to go; if not, we encourage the new secretary-general to make it one of his first tasks after he takes office in January,” reads an open letter sent to the president of the UNSC and to all its member states.

The dignitaries, who have made the joint plea for the Rohingyas, one of the world's most persecuted minorities, include the likes of Professor Muhammad Yunus, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Malala Yousafzai, Shirin Ebadi and Arianna Huffington.

The signatories that include 13 Nobel laureates and 10 other business people, philanthropists, activists and politicians of global repute expressed concern that Rohingya persecution in Myanmar bears the hallmarks of genocides and past tragedies like the ones in Rwanda, Darfur, Bosnia, and Kosovo.

They urged the United Nations to do everything possible to encourage the Myanmar government to lift all restrictions on humanitarian aid so that people receive emergency assistance.

“Access for journalists and human rights monitors should also be permitted, and an independent, international inquiry to establish the truth about the current situation should be established,” they said.

Their fervent plea came at a time when “a human tragedy amounting to ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity is unfolding in Myanmar”.

They observed, “Over the past two months, a military offensive by the Myanmar Army in Rakhine State has led to the killing of hundreds of Rohingya people. Over 30,000 people have been displaced.”

“Houses have been burned, women raped, many civilians arbitrarily arrested, and children killed. Crucially, access for humanitarian aid organisations has been almost completely denied, creating an appalling humanitarian crisis in an area already extremely poor.”

The open letter said, “Thousands [of Rohingyas] have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh, only to be sent back. Some international experts have warned of the potential for genocide. It has all the hallmarks of recent past tragedies -- Rwanda, Darfur, Bosnia, Kosovo.”

The dignitaries expressed frustration at Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi's non-initiative in ensuring rights of the Rohingyas.

In the letter, they said, “Despite repeated appeals to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, we are frustrated that she has not taken any initiative to ensure full and equal citizenship rights of the Rohingyas. Daw Suu Kyi is the leader and is the one with the primary responsibility to lead, and lead with courage, humanity and compassion.”

They said, “It is time for the international community as a whole to speak out much more strongly. After Rwanda, world leaders said 'never again'. If we fail to take action, people may starve to death if they are not killed with bullets, and we may end up being the passive observers of crimes against humanity which will lead us once again to wring our hands belatedly and say 'never again' all over again.”

The signatories include 11 Nobel laureates in Peace: Professor Muhammad Yunus (2006), José Ramos-Horta (1996), Máiread Maguire (1976), Betty Williams (1976), Archbishop Desmond Tutu (1984), Oscar Arias (1987), Jody Williams (1997), Shirin Ebadi (2003), Tawakkol Karman (2011), Leymah Gbowee (2011), and Malala Yousafzai (2014), and two Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine Sir Richard J Roberts (1993) and Elizabeth Blackburn (2009).

The other signatories are ex-Italian prime minister and foreign minister Romano Prodi and Emma Bonino; The Huffington Post Founder and Editor Arianna Huffington; business leaders and philanthropists Sir Richard Branson and Jochen Zeitz; business leader Paul Polman; entrepreneur and philanthropist Mo Ibrahim; SDG advocate and film director Richard Curtis; SDG advocate and fellow of the Voice of Libyan Women Alaa Murabit; and human rights activist Kerry Kennedy.

They referred to the head of the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on the Bangladesh side of the border, John McKissick, who has accused Myanmar's government of ethnic cleansing.

The UN's Special Rapporteur on human rights in Myanmar Yanghee Lee has condemned the restricted access to Rakhine State as “unacceptable,” they also noted.

The Nobel laureates observed that the Rohingyas are among the world's most persecuted minorities, who for decades have been subjected to a campaign of marginalisation and dehumanisation.

“In 1982, their rights to citizenship were removed, and they were rendered stateless, despite living in the country for generations. They have endured severe restrictions on movement, marriage, education and religious freedom. Yet despite the claims by government and military, and many in society, that they are in fact illegal Bengali immigrants who have crossed the border, Bangladesh does not recognise them either,” they stated.

They further noted that Rohingyas' plight intensified dramatically in 2012 when two severe outbreaks of violence resulted in the displacement of hundreds of thousands and a new apartheid between Rohingya Muslims and their Rakhine Buddhist neighbours. “Since then they have existed in ever more dire conditions.”

They also observed that the latest crisis was sparked by an attack on Myanmar border police posts on October 9, in which nine Myanmar police officers were killed.

“The truth about who carried out the attack, how and why, is yet to be established, but the Myanmar military accuse a group of Rohingyas. Even if that is true, the military's response has been grossly disproportionate. It would be one thing to round up suspects, interrogate them and put them on trial. It is quite another to unleash helicopter gunships on thousands of ordinary civilians and to rape women and throw babies into a fire,” they said.

The open letter referred to one Rohingya, interviewed by the Amnesty International, who said, “They shot at people who were fleeing. They surrounded the village and started going from house to house. They were verbally abusing the people. They were threatening to rape the women.”

It also mentioned another witness describing how her two sons were arbitrarily arrested: “It was early in the morning, the military surrounded our house, while some came in and forced me and my children to go outside. They tied my two sons up. They tied their hands behind their backs, and they were beaten badly.”

“The military kicked them in the chest. I saw it myself. I was crying so loudly. When I cried, they [the military] pointed a gun at me. My children were begging the military not to hit them. They were beaten for around 30 minutes before being taken away.” She said she has not seen them since.

http://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/make-rohingya-issue-priority-1337692

Any request to the security council should be forwarded by a member state of UN. Some Tom or Dick has no legal right in it.

Banglafdesh has done much more for the Rohingyas than any other countries. It is sheltering about 400,000 Rohingyas already since the 1st half of 1970's. The last two months saw another influx of 50,000 Rohingyas.

Why do you think Rohingyas are from BD? It is like saying that Iraq conquers Kuwait, and forces its lawful citizens leave their own country. Do you remember Saddam Hossain of Iraq? Same is with Rohingyas. They are the residents of Arakan, Burma annexes it in 1852 by a British mandate. Learn, you half-educated Arab before you vomit again.

So, now tell us your opinion about the Palestinians. Should they obey the Jewish demand of leaving their lands in Palestine and disperse among the nearby desert Arabs? They should, isn't it? Because, it is the lame argument you are putting for the Rohingyas.
First of all, I'm not an ethnic Arab, so the joke is on you.

Secondly, why did you even attempt to bring up my ethnicity in the first place? Is referring to someone else's ethnicity your way of insulting that person or something? That's pretty lame. You should grow up and focus on the subject matter instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks.

I'm also against what's happening to the Rohingya, so please direct your anger at someone else.

First of all, I'm not an ethnic Arab, so the joke is on you.

Secondly, why did you even attempt to bring up my ethnicity in the first place? Is referring to someone else's ethnicity your way of insulting that person or something? That's pretty lame. You should grow up and focus on the subject matter instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks.

I'm also against what's happening to the Rohingya, so please direct your anger at someone else.

Is it matter what ethnicity you have, Kuwaiti or Forut Arab? I asked you parallel questions on the historical matters in three different regions. You avoided to answer those and have come up with your ethnicity. People care about opinions only.

I apologise if you felt insulted. But, I beg you to learn about the people called Rohingya from many Internet sources. Know, one thing. They (not all) migrated from northern Bengal in 1430 at the head of a military campaign to reinstate a Buddhist King there. They remained there since then. Can they be called BD citizens after 600 years?

Is it matter what ethnicity you have, Kuwaiti or Forut Arab? I asked you parallel questions on the historical matters in three different regions. You avoided to answer those and have come up with your ethnicity. People care about opinions only.

I apologise if you felt insulted. But, I beg you to learn about the people called Rohingya from many Internet sources. Know, one thing. They (not all) migrated from northern Bengal in 1430 at the head of a military campaign to reinstate a Buddhist King there. They remained there since then. Can they be called BD citizens after 600 years?
Who said they were Bangladeshi citizens? The Rohingya aren't Bangladeshi citizens, but they're ethnic Bengalis.

In any case, why are you trying to argue this with me? I never said the Rohingya should be kicked out of their homeland. All I said was that the Bangladeshi government should do more to help the Rohingya refugees. Right now, many Rohingya refugees are being turned back to Myanmar by Bangladeshi border guards. These refugees will most likely get killed by the Burmese military.

So the least Bangladesh should do is open its borders and allow as many Rohingya refugees fleeing persecution into the country.

Who said they were Bangladeshi citizens? The Rohingya aren't Bangladeshi citizens, but they're ethnic Bengalis.

In any case, why are you trying to argue this with me? I never said the Rohingya should be kicked out of their homeland. All I said was that the Bangladeshi government should do more to help the Rohingya refugees. Right now, many Rohingya refugees are being turned back to Myanmar by Bangladeshi border guards. These refugees will most likely get killed by the Burmese military.

So the least Bangladesh should do is open its borders and allow as many Rohingya refugees fleeing persecution into the country.

Bengali are the 3rd biggest ethnic group in the world after Han of China and Arabs. Should Saudi Arabia take the responsibility of all Arabs only because it name ends with Arabia?

The topic is about Rohingyas in Myanmar, and not about the Christians in BD. So, why are you beating about the bush? Stick to the topic. Do you support the deliberate persecution of Arakan Rohingyas by the invader Burmese?
BD rooting for minorities of Myanmar doesnt hold much weight when its own minorities are really under threat. thats the topic isnt it? BD concerned for "minorities" of Myanmar.

The same way as your Islamic parties are trying to create an Islamic paradise out of BD, what issue do you have of Myanmar does that for itself as a Buddhist country?

BD rooting for minorities of Myanmar doesnt hold much weight when its own minorities are really under threat. thats the topic isnt it? BD concerned for "minorities" of Myanmar.

The same way as your Islamic parties are trying to create an Islamic paradise out of BD, what issue do you have of Myanmar does that for itself as a Buddhist country?
Minorities are well protected in BD. Infact we have the best record of protecting minorities in the neighbourhood. Look at the number of people dead in BD due to sectarian violence. And compare it with India, Myanmar.

Bangladesh has already taken in more than thirty five thousands of rohingya refugees in last few months. And we are doing this since the 80's. Taking in hundreds of thousands of refugees, who are fleeing genocide. We hosts more than 600,000 Rohingya refugees. But did it changed the situation in burma? The answer is no. Burma kept persecuting Rohingyas. And it won't change if the international community makes burma to change it's position.

So our stance is very clear, we won't take in any more refugees & there will be no open border. Since the root of the problem lies within burma, people better spend their time to make a plan to how to push burmese to solve it. Bangladesh taking in refugees won't solve the root cause. Clear & Simple.

I never said that. Not once. Go and check the thread. :P

And the reason why people use Latin script is obvious, it is because of the Western colonization and domination of the world over the past two centuries.

And yes, with the writing system also comes Western culture. There are no shortage of Coca Cola signs and jeans in Malaysia. Hell, we are both speaking in English right now.

Culture is based on things like language, food and religion. On all three counts, your assertion that Muslim Malays are closer to Chinese than they are to Muslim Arabs is incorrect.

We can't even eat at the same restaurants (Chinese eat pork all the time and Muslim Malays eat Halal). We can't pray in the same temples (Chinese temples are polytheist and practice idol worship), or partake in the same festivals (for the same reason). They can't read Chinese script and we can't read their Jawi (Arabic) script. They say hello as a variant of "Salam", just like Persians do. They pray and read the Quran in Arabic.
I think both of you are correct to some extent. However having been to quite a few South east asian and Arab/middle eastern countries, I will say it's true that their CULTURE are actually different in many ways due to geography,climate, history, regional and foreign influences etc
However , they do share the same religion in the name of Islam. So I believe that's what you meant by the Muslim world can adopt a united stand to sanction Myanmar economically and put pressure on the Myanmar government in some form or another.
It's a good thinking, but it's impractical, since the "Muslim world" consists of so many countries from South East Asia countries to north Africa to Subsaharan africa to the middle East to central Asia to even Mediterranean like Turkey etc etc. It's hard to see how such diverse countries with different interests and no stake/concern in Myanmar issue will agree to take economic/military or whatever measures against Myanmar. It's simply unfeasible and as @Kuwaiti Girl said it could also be used against other countries like China (Muslim Uyghur issue), Russia (muslim Chechnya and intervention in Syria issue), India (Kashmir), Central Africa republic, etc etc. This will only further create even more instability and religious turmoil.
Finally, let's forget the larger "Muslim world" for one minute. Let's focus on middle East alone, KSA and Iran hate each other more than any country and can't agree on anything, much less uniting and agreeing on sanctioning/involving themselves in a country far away from them with whom they have no interests/concern/conflict whatsoever. Many other countries in the region also have bitter enmity/conflict/problems among themselves and much more pressing issues to resolve internally or regionally before thinking about getting involved in a foreign alien country. That's just in the middle East we are talking about.
So I think your point is kind of unfeasible though it sounds good. :)

Last edited:
Secret 1978 Document Indicates Burma Recognized Rohingya Legal Residence

Anders Corr ,

As I detail in a prior article, Myanmar’s Buddhist government is systematically and repeatedly terrorizing the minority-Muslim Rohingya population into flight. Such attempts at what a senior U.N. official calls “ethnic cleansing” are clearly illegal, as is Myanmar’s related denial of residency rights to the Rohingya. But a 1978 “Repatriation Agreement” with Bangladesh marked “Secret” and published by Princeton University in 2014 constitutes evidence that in 1978, Myanmar acknowledged that the Rohingya had legal residence in the country.

Myanmar justifies its persecution of the Rohingya by publicly claiming that the Rohingya have no legal residence in the country, and should therefore move to Bangladesh, from which they ostensibly originate. The Myanmar government has even asked the international community to stop using the term “Rohingya” in an attempt to erase the Rohingya’s historical ties to Rakhine state that date to the 8th Century A.D. But the secret repatriation agreement between Myanmar and Bangladesh in 1978 constitutes evidence that Myanmar recognized the Rohingyas’ legal residence in the country. An Asian diplomat who wishes to remain anonymous confirmed to me that this secret document is authentic.

After 1962, Myanmar (which was then called Burma) renewed repression of Rohingya political and social associations. In 1977, Burma began registering citizens and screened out ‘foreigners,’ primarily to target the Rohingya. The Rohingya alleged that the Burmese military used forced evictions and widespread rapes and murders against the Rohingya. By May 1978, approximately 200,000 Rohingya refugees had entered Bangladesh and settled into 13 U.N. refugee camps near the border. The Burmese authorities publicly claimed that the fleeing refugees showed the Rohingya’s illegal residence in Burma. But Bangladesh urged Burma to accept the refugees back, and the U.N. used economic carrots and sticks to encourage Burma to agree.

The secret 1978 “Repatriation Agreement” that resulted states, “THE LEADERS OF DELEGATIONS, duly authorised by and on behalf of the Government of the Socialist Republic of the Union of Burma and the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, following their talks held in Dacca on 7th - 9th July 1978 HAVE AGREED as follows,” and continues, “The Government of the Socialist Republic of the Union of Burma agrees to the repatriation at the earliest of the lawful residents of Burma [italics mine] who are now sheltered in the camps in Bangladesh on the presentation of Burmese National Registration Cards along with the members of their families …” This constitutes evidence that in 1978, Burma agreed that the Rohingya refugees, most of whose families at one time had national registration cards or other documents, were by and large “lawful residents of Burma.”

Between 1991 and 1992, additional rapes, forced labor, and religious persecution caused another 250,000 Rohingya refugees to flee Myanmar for Bangladesh. A 1992 agreement between Myanmar and Bangladesh similarly acknowledged the lawful residence of the Rohingya in Burma. Titled “Joint statement by the foreign ministers of Bangladesh & Myanmar issued at the conclusion of the official visit of the Myanmar Foreign Minister to Bangladesh 23 - 28 April 1992,” the agreement called the fleeing Rohingya “Myanmar residents” and “members of Myanmar society.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andersc...gnized-rohingya-legal-residence/#334afe3f3cb8

Islamist edge to Rohingya militancy

Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty

ORF – December 30, 2016

The festering problem of the Muslim Rohingya people in the Arakan State of Myanmar, has mutated from a forgotten ethnic conflict into semi-Islamist uprising with links to the global Jihadist network. The latest bout of violence broke out in October, when Rohingya militants attacked Myanmar border police stations, killing 9 police officers and looting tens of weapons. This led to reprisal attacks by the Myanmar military. Rohingya villages, suspected of harbouring militants, have been burnt and thousands of Rohingyas have fled for safety into Bangladesh which shares a border with Myanmar and has hosted Rohingya refugees for many years, in the contiguous area of Cox’s Bazaar, along the strip of land, south of Chittagong, where Bangladesh and Myanmar share a border along the Naf River. The Muslim Rohingyas are regarded as illegal Bangladeshi migrants by the Myanmar government and the majority of Myanmar’s Buddhist population. Most of them remain stateless, denied citizenship by Myanmar.

The Rohingya Muslims have been living in Myanmar’s Rakhine province for several centuries and they consider themselves as an ethnic minority of the country. However, they have not been listed among the various (135) indigenous ethnic minorities and the Burmese Nationality Law 1982 forbids the grant of citizenship to them. The Rohingyas have been forced to identify themselves as “Bengalis”. To acquire citizenship they have to prove that their ancestors arrived in Burma not after than 1823. Those who fail to provide such evidence are marginalized and forced to move into isolated and restrictive settlement zones.

The government of Myanmar, particularly its military, has been accused of ethnic cleansing of Rohingya Muslims. Accusations of genocide have also been levelled against Myanmar’s security forces. The recent bout violence adds another layer to this conflict that has been going on since June 2016, acquiring a profile as a Muslim insurgency, with international Islamist dimensions. The October attack by Rohingya militants was not any random attack. It was clearly planned and coordinated in a manner which could only point towards some military training. The Rohingyas are regarded as a persecuted Muslim minority by the Islamic world and have aroused the sympathy of Muslims and Jihadi groups in several Islamic countries. It is, therefore, not inconceivable that jihadi groups in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are fuelling this insurgency.

A name that has surfaced in reports is that of Abdus Qadoos Burmi, a Pakistani national based in Karachi. Burmi, as his name suggests, is of Rohingya origin from “Burma” the former name of Myanmar. He is known to have issued bulletins in the name of his organization Harakat ul Jihad al-Islami-Arakan (HUJI-K). Burmi is reportedly closely connected to Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) and Jamaat-ud-Daawah (JuD), the ISI-sponsored jihadi terrorist organizations which have launched several terrorist attacks in India. The LeT and JuD have connections with Al-Qaida and operate freely within Pakistan which has long acquired the dubious distinction as the epicentre of global Jihadi terrorism. Operatives from these terrorist outfits have infiltrated into Myanmar via Bangladesh and Thailand, where Rohingya refugees live along the border. They are suspected to have organized arms and military training for Rohingya militants.

The main Rohingya terrorist group goes by the name of Harakat-ul-Yaqeen whose leaders are based in Saudi Arabia, all of whom are of Rohingya origin. They are well connected in Bangladesh and Pakistan and have visited Bangladesh and northern Rakhine state over the last two years. These jihadists have been canvassing other international jihadists to join the fight against the Myanmar’s military. Their appeal for medicines for foreign-based Rohingyas has been accompanied by appeals for sacrificing their lives for jihad. A prominent member of these jihadists is reported to be Ataullah (alias Ameer Abu Amar, Abu Amar Jununi). Born in Karachi, he is the son of a Muslim Rohingya and grew up in Mecca and Saudi Arabia and received an Islamic education. He disappeared from Saudi Arabia in 2012 and is reported to have gone to Pakistan and may have received training in practical guerilla warfare.

For India, already under periodic attacks by Pakistani state-sponsored jihadi organizations, it would be bad news, if this Islamist inspired and supported violence spills over into Bangladesh and India. This would open another front in the East of the sub-continent and add to security problems that years of insurgency in India’s north-eastern states, with an unstable Myanmar, battling its own insurgencies, providing the support base for Indian insurgents. The 1.1 million Rohingyas in Myanmar’s Rakhine State can become cannon fodder for Islamists whose agenda does not overlap with the issues that complicate lives of the Rohingyas. Simmering violence in the region is not new and can be traced back to the 1940s but did not gain much traction as an armed struggle. The Rohingya Solidarity Organization (RSO), which spearheaded the Rohingya resistance movement, went into decline in the 1990s. The recent round of violence is sure to invite a harsh crackdown by the Myanmar military, leading to an upward spiral in violence and all its unintended consequences.

The Rohingyas are active on social media and are busy using fake news and pictures, purportedly showing atrocities on Rohingyas to motivate Islamists. A well-organized smear campaign is underway against the Myanmar government and its military, whereas a far more serious civil war continues to rage with the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) and the Myanmar military. More than 1 lakh people have been internally displaced because of Myanmar government’s bombing campaign against the KIA in the Northern and Central Shan province, though the government-sponsored “peace process” has not been abandoned.

Rohingya militants have received arms training in camps along the Bangladesh-Myanmar border and collaborated with the Islami Chhatra Shibir (ICS) members from the University of Chittagong in Bangladesh. Videotapes from those camps later showed up with al-Qaida in Kabul, where the US cable TV network CNN obtained them after the American invasion of Afghanistan in 2001. The tapes were marked “Burma” in Arabic and were shown worldwide in August 2002. It was assumed that they were shot inside Burma instead of across the border in Ukhia where Rohingya refugee camps are located in Bangladesh.

The ICS functions as the militant arm of the Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami (JeI) and have been responsible for launching violent street demonstrations, attacking security forces, secular political rivals and secular individuals. The ICS has collaborated with other Bangladeshi Islamists to engineer attacks by Rohingya militants in Myanmar. The same combine is notorious for anti-Hindu violence in Bangladesh, though the culpability of the Awami League (AL) Party members cannot be dismissed, particularly in the recent violence against the minority Hindu community in Brahmanbaria and Netrokona districts of Bangladesh. The persecuted Rohingyas were also recruited by Jihadi groups to fight in Afghanistan and elsewhere. In an interview with a Karachi-based newspaper (Umma), Osama bin Laden had, inter alia, referred to Burma where strong jihadi forces were present.

Recent attacks by Rohingya militants are showing signs of increased planning and coordination, raising fears of deeper Islamist penetration and cross-border forays to launch attacks against Myanmar’s security forces. Reports of military training in camps in remote border areas of Bangladesh and in Pakistan have surfaced. Funding has come from the usual culprits – Islamist and Jihadi organizations in Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Rohingya links with Islamist groups in Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines cannot be ruled out. Malaysia and Indonesia have spoken up against Myanmar’s handling of the Rohingya issue. None of the Islamic countries care to speak up against minority persecution when it occurs against non-Muslim minorities. Such parochial approaches detracts attention and sympathy away from the persecution of the Rohingyas.

The Myanmar government has come under enormous pressure from international human rights organizations, including the United Nations. There is no dearth of advice from international HR groups which have issued warnings of enormous risks to Myanmar, if it failed to make more judicious use of force and focus on a political and policy approaches to addresses the problems of the Rohingya people in Rakhine State. It is indeed a complex challenge for the Myanmar government to address the longstanding discrimination against its Muslim Rohingya population, including denial of rights and lack of citizenship.

Rohingya militant attacks have led to the use of disproportionate force and punitive measures by the Myanmar security forces against the civilian population. Denial of humanitarian assistance to the internally displaced and vulnerable population and the absence of a political strategy to lay out a roadmap for future reconciliation, prevents lasting a solution and gives space to militants to carry on their attacks, no doubt with external Islamist and jihadi backing. This does not mitigate the momentum of radical violence and further displacement of the civilian population. Rohingyas have been migrating illegally to other countries like Thailand and Malaysia but these escape routes have been effectively blocked, leaving them to grasp the desperate option of an armed struggle.

Much was expected of Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, but under the constitution she has no direct control over the military. She still has the stature to deal with the Rohingya problem politically but as radical Buddhists in Myanmar become more aggressive, moderate responses recede into the background. Suu Kyi “Panglong-21” initiative did manage to include armed insurgent groups fighting the Myanmar government in the north-east. Given the delicate civilian-military balance of power, the Myanmar military feels relatively free to pursue its security agenda and Suu Kyi probably has little influence over their actions.

For Bangladesh and India, the Rohingya problem poses several layers of policy dilemma. Bangladesh finds itself under moral pressure to take in Rohingya refugees as fellow Muslims, as it had done in the past in the 1900s when over 5 lakh Rohingyas fled Myanmar under the onslaught of the military rulers. Many returned but a sizeable number did not and settled in Bangladesh. Bangladeshis are troubled by their own Liberation War when over 10 million became refugees in 1971 and should, therefore, have an emotional connect to refugees fleeing persecution. But reality bites when there is no guarantee that these refugees will return. Myanmar has consistently maintained that the Rohingyas are Bangladesh migrants and cannot be absorbed as citizens of Myanmar. Many Rohingyas, holding Bangladeshi passports, have been caught in labour importing Gulf countries for criminal offences. This has made Bangladesh wary of the Rohingyas since this impacts on Bangladesh’s image as a labour exporting country.

The Bangladeshi response to the Rohingya crisis has been largely diplomatic. It has canvassed various countries and has urged the international community to resolve the issue. Angry Bangladeshis have even started a signature campaign for a petition to demand that Suu Kyi be stripped off her Nobel Prize for doing nothing to ameliorate the situation of the Rohingyas. Suu Kyi has steered clear of the Rohingya issue for her own domestic reasons and this has rankled Bangladeshis the most, because she enjoyed a huge fan following Bangladesh.

India’s silence on the Rohingya issue has also come under critical scrutiny. Any public criticism of Myanmar has become a sensitive issue and many have argued that if India were to criticize minority persecution in other countries, particularly neighbours, then the persecution of Bangladesh’s Hindu minority and their migration into India, cannot be glossed over. With a BJP-led government under PM Modi in power, this argument has its own traction among policy makers. Moreover, India remains averse to absorbing any more Rohingya refugees, many of whom have entered India from Bangladesh, where they have come under pressure to move on.

Finally, India’s policy of shunning the military regime in Myanmar and supporting the democratic forces in an earlier phase, did not serve India’s interest. Myanmar’s isolation compelled the country military governmentto embrace China much against its will, to the detriment of India’s interest in a neighbouring country. Under the new constitution, the Myanmar military retains considerable influence and Suu Kyi is not in a position to intervene in the way the Rohingya issue is being handled. Moreover, extremist Buddhist opinion in Myanmar is virulently anti-Rohingya. Suu Kyi’s silence has a reason but is eroding her international standing. She is caught between a rock and a hard place. So far international voices have been muted. As for India, there is little probability of any overt move to criticize Myanmar over the Rohingya issue. The approach will be engagement and quiet persuasion. Bangladesh too may find India’s approach worth emulating instead of seeking international intervention.

Back
Top Bottom