What's new

Sanction Myanmar And Give The Rohingya A State Of Their Own

Just a taste of history.....

in 1962,after coup,General Ne Win expelled over 300000(actual number of Indians who left Myanmar between 1930-1962 due to riot and targeted violence against Indians may well be doubled) Indians just for "National Interests" along with interest of some other parties.Indians,who are living there for generations were also termed "Outsider" and expelled.They left everything behind,their business(which was nationalized),source of income and such.And back then no one came for this injustice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_Indians

Myanmar is doing same thing to those who they think are "Bangladeshis who are living in Myanmar for decades". Nothing new really.So kindly don't portrait it as if Buddhists are pillaging houses of Muslims.

Culture influences religion more than religion influences culture. That's a fact of life, and that's exactly why Islam varies significantly from place to place.

Malaysian Islam is not the same as Bedouin Arab Islam, and Bedouin Arab Islam is not the same as Turkish European Islam.

I'm aware there are differences in the way Islam is practiced across the globe. I'm talking about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_culture

Even the article you linked me to admits that it's a contentious term lol.

So are you of the opinion that there is no such thing as "Islamic culture"?

Why do Muslim Malays talk using Arabic terms, write in Arabic script, wear Arabic clothing, have Arabic names, pray several times a day (facing Mecca), eat Halal food, go to the Mosque, fast during Eid, do you think any of these are part of the native culture before their religious conversion?

@Chinese-Dragon you are over simplifying it. Yes all your observations about Malay Muslims are correct and Islam does try to indoctrinate followers into useful foot soldiers like a cult more than other religions. But its just a tool for the powerful to control the stupid masses same as a cult, does not mean they give a fcuk about Muslims. There are stranded Pakistanis in BD even today, Syrians have been given homes in non Muslim countries. It is not about rohingya, the outward "culture and practices" is just drill. Do all armies that march fight for the same cause?

You are right that Muslim world should do something about it, like taking in the rohingya. This would prove your assumption that a Muslim world exists that cares for its adherents.

And I know that's exactly the point you are making through your deliberate over simplification. Very smart I must say :)

Neither. I'm saying if you want to achieve something, you already have the capability.

The Muslim world right now with the sectarian violence reminds me a lot of the Chinese Civil War (though obviously the Chinese Civil War was significantly more bloody). People who should be on the same side, fighting each other over small ideological differences.

Unity is strength. China during the Civil War was 100 times worse than the Middle East is today, just accounting for the death toll alone. And we were an undeveloped, destroyed backwater, no where close to the development level of the Middle East today.

Chinese are 90% homogeneous Han, belonging to the same pool and can adhere to one authority, it will be amusing when Pakistani or Bangaleshi muslims are treated as equals by the GCC muslims.

So are you of the opinion that there is no such thing as "Islamic culture"?

Why do Muslim Malays talk using Arabic terms, write in Arabic script, wear Arabic clothing, have Arabic names, pray several times a day (facing Mecca), eat Halal food, go to the Mosque, fast during Eid, do you think any of these are part of the native culture before their religious conversion?
It's not a black and white issue. Of course, these religious beliefs are foreign and aren't native to Southeast Asia. But that applies to non-Islamic practices as well, such as Christian practices. Wikipedia also has an article on "Christian culture" and "Buddhist culture".

Just because Malaysians are Muslims doesn't mean that they share the same culture as Middle Easterners.

Similarly, just because Filipinos are Catholics doesn't mean they share the same culture as Europeans.

Culture is a lot more than religious convictions. Religion is but a small part of culture. Culture also includes other things such as architecture, folk traditions, dance, music, art, food, cuisines, lifestyles, clothing, sports, literature, tools, etc.

You're focusing way too much on religion and ignoring all the other cultural elements.

Overall, Malaysian culture is indigenous to Southeast Asia, just like Indonesian culture. And the cultures of Southeast Asia are scientifically classified as "Insular Pacific" by cultural anthropologists.

As for foreign influences, the Middle East has had less influence on Southeast Asian culture than South Asia, Indochina, and East Asia have had. Do you honestly think that Southeast Asian culture is more influenced by the Middle East than by neighboring regions such as Indochina and south and east Asia?

By the way, in southeast Asia, there are many dishes that contain insects. These dishes are considered haram by some of the religious clerics in the Middle East.

Like I said, culture influences religion a lot more than religion influences culture. Islam in Southeast Asia has assimilated with local Malay culture. Similarly, Islam in Iran is highly Persianized and differs from the Islam practiced in the Arabian Peninsula.

You're being way too simplistic.

Myanmar is doing same thing to those who they think are "Bangladeshis who are living in Myanmar for decades". Nothing new really.So kindly don't portrait it as if Buddhists are pillaging houses of Muslims.

The floating Bengalis were kicked out along with Indians from Myanmar in 60's who went to MM under biritish colonial time specially the business people from Yangoon.
Rohingyas are local to the land and they live in community along with their own villages, towns and even have their own local government representative. Dont mix apple and orange only because they both are of same shape.

The floating Bengalis were kicked out along with Indians from Myanmar in 60's who went to MM under biritish colonial time specially the business people from Yangoon.
Rohingyas are local to the land and they live in community along with their own villages, towns and even have their own local government representative. Dont mix apple and orange only because they both are of same shape.

Kindly study about Indians who were in dominating position in Myanmar.They didn't get that position in few decades.They lived there for generations as well.Rohingyas are the same.Kindly don't make them "Local" as we're facing similar position in Assam and West Bengal as well.

Kindly study about Indians who were in dominating position in Myanmar.They didn't get that position in few decades.They lived there for generations as well.Rohingyas are the same.Kindly don't make them "Local" as we're facing similar position in Assam and West Bengal as well.

Indians in MM are naturalized citizen, Rohingyas are not. They were offered the same deal as Indian but they refused to take that from the begining. Rohingyas don't buy your theory.

Indians in MM are naturalized citizen, Rohingyas are not. They were offered the same deal as Indian but they refused to take that from the begining. Rohingyas don't buy your theory.

Bangladeshis in India also never buy our theory.They always try to mix with the local population.But that never changes the fact.

Myanmar should be punished by the international community and not by one particular group of people.
exactly it should be treated as humanitarian issue and not relate to any religion/bunch of countries. If not countries will create opposing groups and end up in political stalemate. The suffering of victims will fade into background.
Giving it religious discourse will do more harm.

You claimed that Malaysian and Indonesian culture was based on Middle Eastern culture, which is simply untrue.

It doesn't matter how you try to spin it, the fact remains that Southeast Asia has its own distinct culture that is largely the result of its own climatic and geographic conditions. Also, the greatest influences on Southeast Asian culture have come from Indochina, East Asia and South Asia, irrespective of religion.

These are facts.

Culture is more than religious beliefs. Culture includes lifestyle, music, art, architecture, food, clothing, superstitions, tools, sports/games, musical instruments, folk dances, etc. None of these things are the same in Southeast Asia and the Middle East, absolutely none.
Well it is true to a large extent, ppl of same region will share similar speaking slang ,eating and know & show sensitivity/understanding to other locals. For example, I will be more comfortable in speaking to a muslim from my area than to a american hindu who is 30000kms away. Similarly a american hindu will be at home with a american christian in US than with me. Religion might be same but ways & behavior will be different.

Well some ppl dont experience diversity and tend to imagine things.

It is not necessary to goad us. BD has departed from the union with Pakistan, and nothing can prevent these two far away countries to remain non-united. Apart from political difference, i believe, there is much prospect of making an united front when the cause is common.

Do not make mistakes. BD people are closely watching the Indian moves vis-a-vis Arakan Rohingyas. India has 25% Muslim population. Someday, India will pay price for imposing an unjust will on the region by supporting Burma when the latter commits genocide on its own Muslim citizens.

The discussion between CD and I was not about him goading (or not) Bangladeshis. It was about other Muslims in general out here, from nations that have the capability to do something about it. Pakistanis. Iranians. Arabs. Turks. You do not. So I wonder what made you think it was you being goaded? You guys are so helpless, and frankly shameless, that you will not even take back those who are your own. Forget fighting for them. What will goading you achieve? It is best you watch from the sidelines as others discuss how to (if not try to) clean up your mess.

As far as India and China are concerned, Bangladesh is inconsequential when measured against the geostrategic importance of Myanmar. India needs a simple land bridge to the rest of SE Asia. It does not need Bangladesh for that. In fact it does not want Bangladesh in that, as evidenced by the common Asian highway project completely bypassing that country. China has other interests in Myanmar. Many of them not in the interest of India. But that's the game both play. You do not come into the picture. So again I do not understand why you would believe you are as important as to merit goading in any way?

India's only interest in Bangladesh, frankly right from the time India created Bangladesh (versus annexing it), has been to quarantine a region of potential Islamism and not let it spill into its own territory. To put it bluntly, Indian planners had given up on Bangladesh as salvageable populace in 1971 itself. It is not a current new phenomenon.

India has a 14% Muslim population and they are Indians. Have always been Indians. Not ex Pakistanis. Bangladesh is a pit from which a lot of impoverished people continually keep spilling forth into neighboring countries looking for a livelihood, and survival. India is affected. Myanmar is affected. Myanmar is acting in the way they deem fittest. India will also act in the way it deems fittest. But to cry and sob big crocodile tears because a sovereign nation has had enough of unwelcome guests who are there illegally is really a tad much. In fact, too much of muchness.

India does not really care what Bangladesh is keeping an eye on. India has its eye on Bangladesh and how the Hindus there are being butchered. It has not engendered a response. Yet. I would hope for your nation that you mend your ways quickly and go secular post haste. Because you would not like the repercussions otherwise. Cheers.

The discussion between CD and I was not about him goading (or not) Bangladeshis. It was about other Muslims in general out here, from nations that have the capability to do something about it. Pakistanis. Iranians. Arabs. Turks. You do not. So I wonder what made you think it was you being goaded? You guys are so helpless, and frankly shameless, that you will not even take back those who are your own. Forget fighting for them. What will goading you achieve? It is best you watch from the sidelines as others discuss how to (if not try to) clean up your mess.

As far as India and China are concerned, Bangladesh is inconsequential when measured against the geostrategic importance of Myanmar. India needs a simple land bridge to the rest of SE Asia. It does not need Bangladesh for that. In fact it does not want Bangladesh in that, as evidenced by the common Asian highway project completely bypassing that country. China has other interests in Myanmar. Many of them not in the interest of India. But that's the game both play. You do not come into the picture. So again I do not understand why you would believe you are as important as to merit goading in any way?

India's only interest in Bangladesh, frankly right from the time India created Bangladesh (versus annexing it), has been to quarantine a region of potential Islamism and not let it spill into its own territory. To put it bluntly, Indian planners had given up on Bangladesh as salvageable populace in 1971 itself. It is not a current new phenomenon.

India has a 14% Muslim population and they are Indians. Have always been Indians. Not ex Pakistanis. Bangladesh is a pit from which a lot of impoverished people continually keep spilling forth into neighboring countries looking for a livelihood, and survival. India is affected. Myanmar is affected. Myanmar is acting in the way they deem fittest. India will also act in the way it deems fittest. But to cry and sob big crocodile tears because a sovereign nation has had enough of unwelcome guests who are there illegally is really a tad much. In fact, too much of muchness.

India does not really care what Bangladesh is keeping an eye on. India has its eye on Bangladesh and how the Hindus there are being butchered. It has not engendered a response. Yet. I would hope for your nation that you mend your ways quickly and go secular post haste. Because you would not like the repercussions otherwise. Cheers.

Ya.. true story..
I am amazed to see that you made so much effort to write so much junk only to heal from burning??

Back
Top Bottom