What's new

SAM-8/Osa-AK Air defense system a Failure !

Gryphon

Reaction score
So What If It Does Not Work

SA-8_gecko_Osa-AK_air_defense_anti-aircraft_missile_system_India_Indian_army_001.jpg

May 13, 2013: Recently, while testing a Russian air defense system (the SAM-8/Osa-AK, a self-propelled system that fires 170 kg/374 pound missiles) Indian Air Force evaluators had to fire three missiles before one hit a slow moving aerial target. The Indian Army already uses the SAM-8 but does not publicize reliability rates. This is not the first time Russian weapons have performed poorly when India tested them.

It is known that Russian weapons are less reliable and effective than their Western counterparts. It is understood that this is a tradeoff for cheaper prices and more bribes for the purchasing officials. Whenever these weapons are used on a large scale in a war many of them do work, although not as well as Western versions and whoever is using Russian weapons usually losses.

The SAM-8 has been around since the early 1970s and has been upgraded several times. Reliability has improved as well, but it is still not as reliable as comparable Western systems. SAM-8 is carried in 17.5 ton a 6x6 wheeled armored vehicle with a crew of five (to operate the radar, fire the missiles, drive the vehicle and maintain all that gear). The vehicle carries six missiles in sealed firing containers. The missiles can hit targets as high as 12,000 meters (39,000 feet) and up to 15 kilometers away.

Air Defense: So What If It Does Not Work

hey your JF17 is being powered by russian stuffs :cheesy:

All right i hope you wanted to quote someone other and you mistooke with my post.....Where the F*** did i talk about JF-17 or russian stuff?

u said about confidence of PAF !! Hw can they be fully confident with more than half of their frontline fighters being powered by russian stuffs ? :cheesy:

Did you know what happened in 2008 when your Mki and mirages crossed our boders?
About the second part of your question, first educate yourself about PAF then come talk to me---only JF-17 is equiped with RD-93----then i never said russian equipement is inferior to anyone?! So WTF about your talking to me?!

Who cares if it is failing now,its obsolete and ending its service anyway.Army is reequipping with spyder and akash regiments replacing these anyway.Its a 40 yr old design.

Back
Top Bottom