What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

WS-13 is indistinguishable from RD-93.

J-20 engine is indistinguishable from AL-31FN.

Anyone starting to see a pattern here?

I hope there are no more doubts that China can make a fully domestic 5th gen fighter.

AESA radar Zhuhai 2016.
20i9sb4.jpg

FC-31 v2.0 airframe.
200945qjhqpf7f73pupwz7.jpg

huitong confirms domestic WS-13E engines.
http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.com/2012/07/fighters_18.html#FC-31

The latest images suggested that the high-speed taxi test of the 02 prototype started on December 18, 2016. Its first flight took place on December 23, 2016, powered by two smokeless WS-13E engines.

According to some AVIC guy I know of, AVIC has an 5th gen engine planned for this fighter, with a thrust-weight ratio beyond 10.However, due to the lack of interests from PLA thus lack of funds, the project is a low proprity one and actually stall for the moment.

Also, there is still internal struggle on whether PRC will grant export license to this fighter since there is some equipment that has been used on J-20 as well, to obtain export license, SAC have to replace such equipments with exportable ones and that may require additional funds.

PLAAF and PLAN both only want twin-engine heavy weight fifth gen fighters, and the light/medium weight fifth gen fighter will be replaced by UAVs.

According to some AVIC guy I know of, AVIC has an 5th gen engine planned for this fighter, with a thrust-weight ratio beyond 10.However, due to the lack of interests from PLA thus lack of funds, the project is a low proprity one and actually stall for the moment.

Also, there is still internal struggle on whether PRC will grant export license to this fighter since there is some equipment that has been used on J-20 as well, to obtain export license, SAC have to replace such equipments with exportable ones and that may require additional funds.

PLAAF and PLAN both only want twin-engine heavy weight fifth gen fighters, and the light/medium weight fifth gen fighter will be replaced by UAVs.

So, this FC-31 will have little chance of actually being accepted by the PLAAF/PLANAF? I'm guessing this FC-31 will become another "MiG-35" until it finds a buyer.

Last edited:
Note the extensive application of carbon-f

So, this FC-31 will have little chance of actually being accepted by the PLAAF/PLANAF? I'm guessing this FC-31 will become another "MiG-35" until it finds a buyer.
I think there is an opportunity for PLAN,totally china will have at least 6 aircraft carriers,J15 can not confronted with F35,J31 is a good option for PLAN

Back
Top Bottom