What's new

Russo-Ottoman War of 1710–11(Pruth River Campaign)

Baybars Han

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
he Russo-Ottoman War of 1710–11, also known as the Pruth River Campaign after the main event of the war, erupted as a consequence of the defeat of Sweden by the Russian Empire in the Battle of Poltava and the escape of the wounded Charles XII of Sweden to the court of the Ottoman Sultan Ahmed III.[6] Following incessant Russian pressure and demands from Charles, the Ottomans declared war on Russia on 20 November 1710.[6]Concurrently with these events, the Prince Dimitrie Cantemir of Moldavia and Peter the Great signed the Treaty of Lutsk (13 April 1711), by which Moldavia pledged to support Russia in its war against the Ottomans with troops and by allowing the Russian army to cross its territory and place garrisons in Moldavian fortresses.
Date 1710–1711
Location Pruth River
Result Decisive Ottoman victory[1]
Treaty of Pruth[2]
Belligerents
23px-Flag_of_the_Ottoman_Empire.svg.png
Ottoman Empire

Tsardom of Russia
23px-Flag_of_the_Cossack_Hetmanat.svg.png
Cossack Hetmanate(fraction of Ivan Skoropadsky)
23px-Flag_of_Moldavia.svg.png
Moldavia
The conflict was ended on 21 July by the Treaty of the Pruth, to the disappointment of Charles XII. The Treaty stipulated to return Azov to the Ottomans; Taganrog and several Russian fortresses were to be demolished; while the Tsar pledged to stop interfering into the affairs of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

The Ottomans also demanded that Charles XII be granted safe passage to Sweden and asked the Tsar to hand over Cantemir. Although Peter acquiesced to all demands, he refused to fulfill the latter, under the pretext that Cantemir had fled his camp.

After being told by my lecturer at University that this was a turning point for russian history, I decided to research it and would like some more clarification and info from members who have good history knowledge. He also talked about another battle but I can't remember where a russian prince was held prisoner but was released. So my lecturer(who isn't Turkish btw) told me that if the Ottomans killed Peter the great in this war, the Russian empire would have collapsed.

@AUSTERLITZ I have seen you study history. Do you have any knowledge on this?

Yes this was in hindsight a huge error by the ottomans.Peter was with the army in person and killing or capturing him COULD have changed history.But to say Russia wouldn't exist is a bit far fetched ,given their natural strengths a new czar would eventually consolidate power,given that by this time russia had already defeated sweden.However without Peter Russia would not be the great power it became within such a short time in the 18th century.The ottoman empire certainly would have been greatly advantaged with reduced russian pressure in Europe.
However in hindsight,the biggest beneficiary would probably be the french.By 1709 ottomans were already a declining power and in 1706 had from the 1680s begun a chain of defeats to austria in europe.Hindering Russia couldn't reverse this trend.But without Russia present as a superpower in Europe in 1800 onwards ,Napoleon's France would overrun and conquer Europe and then turn on the ottomans(his dream plan being to pacify europe then reach British dominated India -only land route being through ottoman territory).So without Russia as a superpower we are looking potential French world conquest under Napoleon.

Although Peter acquiesced to all demands, he refused to fulfill the latter, under the pretext that Cantemir had fled his camp.

@vostok

This could have been the start of a a beautifull friendship,alas Russian action in the next centuries alienated us.Ofcourse,what that the Russians did was natural,no Orthodox Christian in his right mind would surrender another Orthodox to muslims.This buys you a ticket to hell.

So my lecturer(who isn't Turkish btw) told me that if the Ottomans killed Peter the great in this war, the Russian empire would have collapsed.

No,it wouldn't

he Russo-Ottoman War of 1710–11, also known as the Pruth River Campaign after the main event of the war, erupted as a consequence of the defeat of Sweden by the Russian Empire in the Battle of Poltava and the escape of the wounded Charles XII of Sweden to the court of the Ottoman Sultan Ahmed III.[6] Following incessant Russian pressure and demands from Charles, the Ottomans declared war on Russia on 20 November 1710.[6]Concurrently with these events, the Prince Dimitrie Cantemir of Moldavia and Peter the Great signed the Treaty of Lutsk (13 April 1711), by which Moldavia pledged to support Russia in its war against the Ottomans with troops and by allowing the Russian army to cross its territory and place garrisons in Moldavian fortresses.
Date 1710–1711
Location Pruth River
Result Decisive Ottoman victory[1]
Treaty of Pruth[2]
Belligerents
23px-Flag_of_the_Ottoman_Empire.svg.png
Ottoman Empire

Tsardom of Russia
23px-Flag_of_the_Cossack_Hetmanat.svg.png
Cossack Hetmanate(fraction of Ivan Skoropadsky)
23px-Flag_of_Moldavia.svg.png
Moldavia
The conflict was ended on 21 July by the Treaty of the Pruth, to the disappointment of Charles XII. The Treaty stipulated to return Azov to the Ottomans; Taganrog and several Russian fortresses were to be demolished; while the Tsar pledged to stop interfering into the affairs of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

The Ottomans also demanded that Charles XII be granted safe passage to Sweden and asked the Tsar to hand over Cantemir. Although Peter acquiesced to all demands, he refused to fulfill the latter, under the pretext that Cantemir had fled his camp.

After being told by my lecturer at University that this was a turning point for russian history, I decided to research it and would like some more clarification and info from members who have good history knowledge. He also talked about another battle but I can't remember where a russian prince was held prisoner but was released. So my lecturer(who isn't Turkish btw) told me that if the Ottomans killed Peter the great in this war, the Russian empire would have collapsed.
Is Wikipedia the extent of your research? And you are a university student, no wonder

Is Wikipedia the extent of your research? And you are a university student, no wonder

Please don't ever quote me again you yobaz nutjob. Go to the deserts and milk some camels. What was you expecting me to open some history books and write you something?

@vostok

This could have been the start of a a beautifull friendship,alas Russian action in the next centuries alienated us.Ofcourse,what that the Russians did was natural,no Orthodox Christian in his right mind would surrender another Orthodox to muslims.This buys you a ticket to hell.

No,it wouldn't

Nobody asked you, you don't know nothing about history which is evident from the other thread. Your max a peasant who was taught history by your relatives.

An interesting sidenote related to the events of this war. The Turkish word "Kalabalik" actually was adopted into the Swedish language, following the events at Bender (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirmish_at_Bender).

As Charles XII (Karl XII in Swedish) gathered his few remaining troops in one area (referred to by Turks as a Kalabalik i.e. gathering), events turned a bit sour and confusion erupted when Ottoman soldiers came to "guide/capture/assist" him. As a consequence "Kalabalik" in Swedish means great confusion or disorder.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalabalik

Back
Top Bottom