What's new

Russia to refurbish Il-78 refuelling tanker aircraft for Pakistan Air Force

None. To refuel the F-16s the PAF needs a tanker with a boom-refueling probe - i.e. KC-135, A-330 MRTT, or Pegasus MRTT. The PAF couldn't secure the KC-135, and the A-330 MRTT and Pegasus MRTT are very expensive, USD $200m+ (albeit including the logistics and maintenance support package).
Were they denied of KC-135? But is there any second hand option available for the aforementioned A/Cs or PAF planning any budgetary allocation for these in future?

Ukraine inherited 21 Midas tankers from the Soviet Union, the entire Soviet tanker fleet was based in Ukraine

Ukraine never operated these tankers and they were kept in storage

They are in a bad shape because Ukraine only did minor work prior to delivery

Anyone seen the cock pit and avionics ?? They are still using gauges from 1970s very poor condition

The PAF tankers are so loud they aren't even allowed to land at many European airports, those engines need to go

So this refurb is well over due

I guess since we couldn't do it earlier because we didn't have good friendship with Russia

Even the electrics were ripped out and analog gauges were being used it was almost dangerous to fly the PAF Midas tanker fleet

This is actually great news
technically they are not allowed to fly in European airspace but military planes are an exception. i dont think they have hush kits for the d30 engines. so they developed the ll-76 with ps-90 engines and fbw system and renamed it the ll-476

BS news. India is the richest country in the world and Putin said in his speech that he doesn't even go to the toilet without Indian permission. This is fake news by Pakistan!
Lmao "doesn't even go to the toilet without Indian approval"...poor Putin.

Always good to keep items well maintained, a timely move to help improve performance or extend the life of the planes.

I think Pakistan should more focus on including new fighter plans in the fleet except JF 17 after that its look like we are stuck in it only.

I heard that it cannot be used for AAR with F16 so is there any modifications planned to allow to with them ?
Lala boom nishta

AIR_KC-30B_RAAF_Refuels_PoAF_F-16s.jpg

Yes I can't understand why refuler needed a refurbished it's not a cargo plane which is used continuously I smoke some corruption

The IL-78 is a behemoth. And with its antiquated, 70s era Soviet technology is a really difficult bird to fly.
A PAF IL-78 pilot said so himself in a Special Dunya News Defence Day 2015 program.
Wajahat Saeed Khan 'tripped' the pilot into saying so. Lol.
No wonder the PAF is upgrading them. We need more aerial tankers, however.

4 only ? are they enough for air force like Pakistan ?
4 are more than enough..PAF is a small airforce with enemies living right next to the border...technically we dont even need these tankers..paf aircrafts can easily perform sorties in india without need for IFR as done in previous wars..these are just for SHOO SHAA stuff...like sab k pass hy to hamare pass bhe hona chaye

I heard that it cannot be used for AAR with F16 so is there any modifications planned to allow to with them ?
F16 uses BOOM refueling technique like that of KC135 while iL78s use probe-and-drogue technique involving pods so yeah we cant use them with f16s...these are only functional with mirages and JFTs

Were they denied of KC-135? But is there any second hand option available for the aforementioned A/Cs or PAF planning any budgetary allocation for these in future?
paf doesnt wish to spend heavy costs on IFR A/C as we dont need them much and yeah we were denied kc135

This aircraft caused my accident today... I was driving on rawal road next to chaklala airport at 2:10 pm and this beast was taking off. The bike rider infront of me instead of focusing on the road started looking at this beast and changed his lane suddenly..... BOOM... my bumper :(

Too much IL-78 for one day.. first on roads then over here :D :D

None. To refuel the F-16s the PAF needs a tanker with a boom-refueling probe - i.e. KC-135, A-330 MRTT, or Pegasus MRTT. The PAF couldn't secure the KC-135, and the A-330 MRTT and Pegasus MRTT are very expensive, USD $200m+ (albeit including the logistics and maintenance support package).

F-16 AAR mode is Boom and Receptacle type while IL-78 usually employ Drogue and Probe method. Not sure if it also has Boom and Receptacle AAR capability.

This modification could be done though

2-jpg.329564

1-jpg.329563

1-jpg.329563

Back
Top Bottom