What's new

Russia to make 3 More Talwar Class Frigates for India

Henry

BANNED
Reaction score
JSC Yantar Shipyard will start construction of new lot of frigates for Indian Navy in 2012, reports RIA Novosti referring to the yard's acting director Alexander Konovalov.

According to him, "we're preparing for construction of the second three frigates for Indian Navy this year; the ships will be identical to the first trio", reports the news agency.

The contract for three Project 1135.6 frigates (INS Teg, INS Tarkash, and INS Trikand) was signed on July 14, 2007 in Delhi. Overall value of the contract was $1.56 bln. JSC Yantar was appointed major executor. The contract provided an option for additional construction of 1-3 frigates.

Yantar handed over the first Project 1135.6 frigate INS Teg to Indian Navy late Apr 2012.

As for Konovalov, "the second ship will take sea for trials next week and be delivered to the client this year. Delivery of the third frigate is scheduled in 2013", reports RIA Novosti.

After implementation of that contract, Indian Navy will operate six Project 1135.6 frigates. First three frigates of that kind were built for India by Baltiysky Zavod shipyard and handed over to the customer in 2003-2004 under the $1-bln contract signed in 1997.

It should be noted that so far there has not been officially announced about construction of the new three frigates for India. Negotiations on this matter are going on for a long time. Estimated cost of the three-ship lot is $1.7 bln.

Normally, it comes out well in advance about planned large contracts, especially with India. Such contracts pass multi-staged approval procedure, and Indian media cover them quite particularly.

As was earlier reported, new contract with Indian Navy would be negotiated in case of successful delivery of the second three frigates. However, deadlines were postponed for more than a year.

Yantar Shipyard to Start Building New Frigates for India in 2012

I think there is some mistake in this article and if India really is going for 3 more frigates from a foreign shipyard then i think it would be better that they go for European designs like DCNS/Fincanteiri FREMM, BAE Type 26 or Thyssen-Krupp's F125. Navantia's Nansen is also good.

frigate1.jpg

SHIP_FFG_FREMM-Italian_Concept_lg.jpg

SHIP_FFG_Type-26_FSC_Concept_Front_lg.jpg

SHIP_FFH_F125_Concept_lg.jpg

SHIP_FFG_F-310_Fridtjof_Nansen_Side_lg.jpg

Why go for this.... ???

indians-navytalwar-class-ins-tabar.jpg

Great news :)
But i think a order should be made on a new class of stealth frigates !!

we must give more volume to Indian ship builders. unless & until we give orders to the privet ship builders how can they evolve with the indegenous design & development facility.

I guess Managing spares supply and maintenance of different types of frigates will be stressfull

This News is absolutely True. Confirmed by Insiders. Also Yantar Shipyard said it in a Media Briefing. Talwar is More Powerful than anything in the PN/PLAAN. That would make Total of 9 Talwars.

we must give more volume to Indian ship builders. unless & until we give orders to the privet ship builders how can they evolve with the indegenous design & development facility.

Already indian shipyards are full for the decade and they are slow...
L&T have build the kattupalli shipyard near chennai, which can also build normal and nuke subs..
But its fa the govt to give order, or make the mazadoen docks to partner with them...
L&T can build normal commercial vessels, i think the govt must pass the info to them fa making defence vessels..

I think there is some mistake in this article and if India really is going for 3 more frigates from a foreign shipyard then i think it would be better that they go for European designs like DCNS/Fincanteiri FREMM, BAE Type 26 or Thyssen-Krupp's F125. Navantia's Nansen is also good.

Why go for this.... ???

Because we already induct it into the fleet and have the logistics placed, why should we add a new type then? This is only an additional order to increase the numbers of vessels, besides the production of our indigenous Frigats.

It really should be a modified one ...Talwars need to be cleaner ...not saying they arn't good ...they certainly are powerful ships .. but compared to shivalik class they look less stealthy.

It really should be a modified one ...Talwars need to be cleaner ...not saying they arn't good ...they certainly are powerful ships .. but compared to shivalik class they look less stealthy.

They are Follow on of the Kirvaks with reduced RCS and not a Stealthy Design from the Begining like the Shivalik.

They are Follow on of the Kirvaks with reduced RCS and not a Stealthy Design from the Begining like the Shivalik.

For naval vessels, stealth is the wrong term anyway, because it's not like these vessels won't be detected by radar, they just reduced the RCS to a good extend to not be detected from 300Km or even more like with earlier designs. To really be a stealth vessel, it needs more than just some shapings, it must be completely designed with stealth shapings in mind like this:

SeaShadow_above.jpg

Indian shipyards are full to capacity with orders for the next 10-12 years this is why the IN is now looking outside of India to get its assets faster- the Deepak class tankers, first 2 LHD/LPD, first 2 minesweepers, first 2 P-75I and 80+ FIC will all be/have been built abroad in foreign shipyards.

Tbh I wasn't expecting this news I thought the last 3 Talwar class orders which are currently being delivered would be the last ever orders the IN ever got of any ship from Russia. Hadn't even heard of the possibility of an additional 3. Hopefully with all the Indian money the Russians have used to upgrade Yantar they can produce the next 3 fast and on budget.

Maybe IN is looking to augment its frigate fleet with a less expensive platform to the Shivlaik. This means we could see 9 Talwar class frigates and 10-12 Shivlaik class frigates in the IN within the next 5-7 years- that is some power!

For naval vessels, stealth is the wrong term anyway, because it's not like these vessels won't be detected by radar, they just reduced the RCS to a good extend to not be detected from 300Km or even more like with earlier designs. To really be a stealth vessel, it needs more than just some shapings, it must be completely designed with stealth shapings in mind like this:

SeaShadow_above.jpg

What ship is this?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom