What's new

Russia developing most advanced S-500 missile defence system

Gabbar

Reaction score
Russia developing most advanced S-500 missile defence system

Astrakhan: Already boasting formidable air and missile defence systems such as the venerable S-300 Favorit, for long regarded as the most potent anti-air and missile defence system in the world, and the recently introduced S-400 Triumf, Russian officials have said that an even more advanced S-500 air defence system could well be developed over the next few years. The system is expected to be capable of destroying hypersonic and ballistic targets.

The S-400 Triumf
The S-500, currently at the blueprint stage at the Almaz-Antei company, is expected to be rolled out by 2012. Russian air force commander, Col Gen Alexander Zelin, said, "This work is in progress...I think this system will appear in the near future."

The new system is expected to outperform even the most advanced S-400 along with other Western systems.

The S-400 Triumf (SA-21 Growler) is capable of intercepting and destroying airborne targets at a distance of up to 400 kilometers (250 miles), and can simultaneously engage up to six targets.

The S-500 is expected to have an extended range of up to 600 km (over 370 miles) and simultaneously engage up to 10 targets. :eek:

Gen Zelin said Russia's defence ministry considers the delivery of S-400 air defence missile systems to the Russian armed forces a priority at present, although exports of these systems to other countries of the Commonwealth of the Independent States (CIS) could be considered.

Russia has already deployed two S-400 regiments to protect the airspace around Moscow and industrial regions in the central part of the country, and an S-400 battalion in Russia's Far East.

Good. Chinese get your hands on the S-400 so Pakistan can also get them....:p

Good. Chinese get your hands on the S-400 so Pakistan can also get them....:p

Right now they are having problems with the S400 that's why it isn't being exported.

Russia pulls S-400 air and missile defense system off the market
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2450890/posts

Russia has decided to withdraw its advanced missile defense system for export. Officials said the Kremlin has ordered the state-owned arms agency Rosoboronexport to end marketing of the S-400 air and missile defense system. They said Rosoboronexport was told that the S-400 would be deployed only in Russia until further notice.

"Russia would consider exports only after meeting the requirements of its own armed forces," Rosoboronexport director Anatoly Isaikin said on Jan. 28. Over the last five years, Rosoboronexport has sought to sell the S-400 to a range of Middle East states, including Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates. So far, no export sales were reported.

"There are a lot of preliminary talks," Isaikin said.

The S-400 Triumph was designed to intercept airborne targets at up to 400 kilometers. Rosoboronexport has asserted that the system could destroy stealth aircraft, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles.

In 2009, Rosoboronexport lobbied the Turkish government to purchase the S-400. Ankara, which appears to favor the U.S.-origin PAC-3, has conducted a $1 billion tender for the procurement of missile defense systems.

Officials said the Russian military would require at least two years to exploit the potential of the S-400. The first S-400 battalion entered combat duty in the Moscow region in 2007.

"There have been bugs in the system and this has prevented us from properly demonstrating the S-400 abroad," another official said.

Last edited:
India should get a hand on it. Indo-Russian collaboration will be great for such a long range SAM. It will be able to go deep inside enemy territory.

India should get a hand on it. Indo-Russian collaboration will be great for such a long range SAM. It will be able to go deep inside enemy territory.

India would definitely want to get their hands on this one. 600 km range would be overkill. In case of a war, enemy planes would be shot down in their own territory. They could be locked on as soon as they took off.

I am looking forward to this. India should offer financial participation like in PakFa. That would be interesting.

I have a feeling that with the coming of S-500, and future state of the art equipments like this, war will be no more fought in the air,but ground and navy only I guess.

I have a feeling that with the coming of S-500, and future state of the art equipments like this, war will be no more fought in the air,but ground and navy only I guess.

as a layman am confused about the long range of the radar...esp the receiving part, which will be extremely sensitive..can that be JAMMED ?

India would definitely want to get their hands on this one. 600 km range would be overkill. In case of a war, enemy planes would be shot down in their own territory. They could be locked on as soon as they took off.

I am looking forward to this. India should offer financial participation like in PakFa. That would be interesting.

A definite overkill! With space based assets, AEROSTATS and long range ground based radars it will be able to destroy fighters very deep inside enemy territory. Just think about S-500MKI along with AAD, Barak-NG, Akash and SPYDER defending India's air while PAD, PDV, AD-1 and AD-2 defending India's space!!!

I wish India must take this opportunity and go to Moscow. :yahoo:

who knows INDIA might be a partner in this..S-500 should be a definite buy for INDIA..

however RUSSIA seems to have sorted out the difficulties being faced with S-400...so next step is definitely S-500. INDIA is not a part of S-400...so we should not miss out on S-500.:cheers:

who knows INDIA might be a partner in this..S-500 should be a definite buy for INDIA..

however RUSSIA seems to have sorted out the difficulties being faced with S-400...so next step is definitely S-500. INDIA is not a part of S-400...so we should not miss out on S-500.:cheers:

can you post a link that this is the case. seems awfully fast since it was only pulled from export in February.

Back
Top Bottom