What's new

Rising middle class in Bangladesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Per month. lolz...

All units in Bangladesh Taka.

I don't see how the article could be interpreted as indicating a good health of the BD economy? All the things indicated there were just indicative of massive consumption of imported goods. For a country to develop it needs industries, especially manufacturing industries. Engineering companies like Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Siemens, etc. Not large shopping malls, imported cars and expensive jewellery. I see absolutely no sign of those (the industries). So sorry, I don't see that Bangladesh is developing.

I don't see how the article could be interpreted as indicating a good health of the BD economy? All the things indicated there were just indicative of massive consumption of imported goods. For a country to develop it needs industries, especially manufacturing industries. Engineering companies like Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Siemens, etc. Not large shopping malls, imported cars and expensive jewellery. I see absolutely no sign of those (the industries). So sorry, I don't see that Bangladesh is developing.

finally some sense

What's wrong with "M_Saint's" opinion? He has provided a very detailed explanation (quoting an editorial, I suppose) for his view point. The truth is that inflation is terribly high, law and order situation poor, political 'nepotism' if you like inescapable, bribery the norm, poor road/transport infrastructure seems to be accepted, inconsistent power supply hinders industrial growth, and the list of failures can continue "ad infinitum", almost

Mamun Rashid, being a 'fat cat' earning well over a million Takas per month may not find enough reasons to complain, but if the vast majority of Bangladeshis were in his shoes or earning well over a million Taka per month, only then could his personal opinions be said to be representative of that of the 'average' Bangladeshis.

Just one example off the top of my head. Eight new banks were granted licenses for operation by BAL. 4 billion Taka had to be deposited in cash/the likes for some capital/similar requirement for starting operations of these banks. Each of the 8 BAL hand-picked candidates could do so without breaking a sweat, presumably, as nobody would invest all of his wealth on a single bank that may or may not succeed well into the future, considering the dozens of already more established banks in operation.

For them to fork out 4 billion Taka in cash (in the open) tells you a lot about the sort of corruption and embezzlement that is widespread under BAL. If they can fork out this sum in public, can you imagine what sort of sums the 'bigwigs' of BAL have stashed up under their Dadababus' thali or dhoti?

All your points have weight but don't prove there's no rising middle class in Bangladesh. True that this BAL thugs association or both BAL/BNP thugs association are causing huge hindrance in our economic/political advancement but we the people of Bangladesh are advancing facing all these. If all our govt. were not so corrupt, didn't have endless hunger for money, we'd have been middle income country by now which is simple in a country where more than 40 years there are no wars with neighboring countries or civil wars inside.

From my personal view (in fact I don't know this guy Mamun Rashid) things changed a lot because there are many successful non-govt. initiatives which have influence over life style, they don't depend on govt. For example, foreign software houses opening in Dhaka have nothing to do with govt. be it BAL, BNP or caretaker (I've seen it in all 3 terms), they are taking their steps independently like for uninterrupted power supply they are buying generators not depending on govt. Revenues coming from this sector definitely have some impact on life style. Of course govt. planning could earn more from this sector. I'm sure there are many other sectors (or all) advancing this way.

Our govt. succeeded in meeting their hunger only but we people are trying hard to go ahead for sure. Hope poverty alleviation steps taken by some non govt. organization will be successful because it's more appreciable if poor people can lead their life comfortably than rising middle class which will ultimately reduce the distance between poor and middle class (or rich).

The most important thing for our economy right now is to move up the value addition ladder. Textile sector is here to stay and already have a strong foundation in BD, now its time to move to the next level like manufacturing textile machinery for exports and domestic market. It can be done by strong protectionist policies or by inviting joint ventures with foreign companies of say Japan, germany and china who will have access to cheap labor here. Also corporates like beximco and square should be encouraged by the gov to move into the engineering sector like motorcycle manufacturing and foreign auto companies should be allowed to set up manufacturing plants (not assemble plants) in BD where parts manufacturing will also grow as a feed feed back mechanism.Food processing industry & Ship building industry should also get a major boost. Islamic banking system should be heavily funded and encouraged and exporters should be protected by heavy subsidies and incentives. These is the way most E.asian countries like S.korea and malaysia developed and there is simply no other alternative to protectionist policies. These sugar coated awami statistics by awami fagot budhijibis won't do us any good. But the main problem is we have a dalal terrorist anti-state autocratic party in power. These awami lunatics should be ousted first before all this can happen.

^^^May be I wasn't being specific enough of the middle class in Bangladesh.

I forgot to mention, the purchasing power of Bangladeshi consumers have gone down due to the depreciating value of the Taka. This makes imports more expensive as a result. But makes exports cheaper. But still, it isn't good in the short term.

The way the Taka depreciated was just legendary!
chart.png

Phew!

You make valid points, just to ensure we are on the same page. We are not necessarily in disagreements, but perhaps our perspectives on some issues differ due to different experiences or different attitude towards certain issues.

If you ask me, the middle class was growing best during the Ershad-era.

Now, places like Nandos (their food tastes horrible by the way), Pizza Hut, Pizza Inn, KFC, A&W, and Agora are typically visited by the upper and upper middle income classes.

Places like those are pretty profitable. They *** in areas like Gulshan, Uttara, Dhanmondhi, and even in Chittagong. Even restaurant businesses like Baton Rogue and others. They do business and always very crowded!

The same can be said about private hospitals. I mean, who'd say no to good health care facilities?

Most English-medium schools aren't very expensive, and they are mostly good. The one my mom teaches at is packed with students. Unless it is American International School, Bangladesh :rofl:

It has come a long way since 1971. Even in the midst of political volatility and conspiracies.

For preventing confusion for anyone, here is the classification of all the social classes in Bangladesh:

Upper Class
-Upper Rich: 500,000-1000,000
-Middle Rich: 100,000-500,000
-Lower Rich: 80,000-100,000

Middle Class
-Upper Middle: 60,000-80,000
-Middle Middle: 40,000-60,000
-Lower Middle: 20,000-40,000

Lower Class
-Upper Lower: 15,000-20,000
-Middle Lower: 10,000-15,000
-Lower Lower: 5,000-10,000

Poverty level: 0-5,000

Anything below that is below poverty.

All units are in Bangladesh Taka.

All that is well and good, but there is what can be called "statistical bias" in your sampling method. You only counted/considered those places/outlets that the middle rich/upper rich (acc. to your classification) would visit. Without counting the increase in the number of poor, struggling or other classes of society that find it hard to make their ends meet, would it not be unfair to paint as rosy a picture as the author is doing based on his personal experience (which is decidedly an experience shared by a select few in society including his colleagues and kith and kin, presumably)?

All in all, I do not disagree with your observations but bear in mind, the other segments of society (who happen to form the majority), and also bear in mind that even hapless Myanmar under a brutal backward medieval isolated Junta experience some economic growth. Compared to what one can see/experience in moderately developed ASEAN countries like Thailand, Indonesia or Philippines, the 'middle class' in Bangladesh really is not (yet) noticeable.

By the way, in ASEAN, most people would consider Brunei, Singapore and Malaysia to be highly developed, and Thailand, Indonesia and Philippines to be moderately developed, while the others are somewhat struggling with their economics. This categorization is valid from the ASEAN citizens' perspectives, I would think.

All your points have weight but don't prove there's no rising middle class in Bangladesh. True that this BAL thugs association or both BAL/BNP thugs association are causing huge hindrance in our economic/political advancement but we the people of Bangladesh are advancing facing all these. If all our govt. were not so corrupt, didn't have endless hunger for money, we'd have been middle income country by now which is simple in a country where more than 40 years there are no wars with neighboring countries or civil wars inside.

From my personal view (in fact I don't know this guy Mamun Rashid) things changed a lot because there are many successful non-govt. initiatives which have influence over life style, they don't depend on govt. For example, foreign software houses opening in Dhaka have nothing to do with govt. be it BAL, BNP or caretaker (I've seen it in all 3 terms), they are taking their steps independently like for uninterrupted power supply they are buying generators not depending on govt. Revenues coming from this sector definitely have some impact on life style. Of course govt. planning could earn more from this sector. I'm sure there are many other sectors (or all) advancing this way.

Our govt. succeeded in meeting their hunger only but we people are trying hard to go ahead for sure. Hope poverty alleviation steps taken by some non govt. organization will be successful because it's more appreciable if poor people can lead their life comfortably than rising middle class which will ultimately reduce the distance between poor and middle class (or rich).

I did not prove/disprove either the rise or the demise of the middle class in Bangladesh. All I did was to provide a different perspective (based on facts) from that of the author of the article who happens to share his experience probably based on his limited perspective of interacting with his kith and kin, clientele and people from decidedly the upper crust of BD society, in economic terms, at least. For a country like BD teeming with poverty and many other issues that most developing countries are burdened with, it would be unwise to take the viewpoint of a very tiny minority to represent the swings of fortunes for the 'average' Bangladeshis.

Not to dismiss any country, but I could probably name a dozen African countries that are performing far better than Bangladesh in economic terms despite whatever impression the Western/aligned media may have left upon some of the less informed readers/viewers upon them. Just think about it, if Nigerian GDP (nominal) is now more than that of Pakistan, and if Nigeria has more scientists and researchers than Bangladesh and Pakistan combined, the number of internet users in Nigeria is more than Pakistan and Bangladesh as well, that the Nigerian banking sector is probably three times as large as the Bangladeshi or Pakistani one, that Nigeria has (official) publicly declared ($/Euro/Pound) billionaires, that Nigeria has the largest film industry in Africa, and supposedly the second largest in the world, that Nigeria has a decent space programme in place already while Bangladesh does not even operate a single national satellite of its own yet, where does Bangladesh really stand?

And Nigeria is by no means a model of development for most African countries because of the myriad of governance issues and problems, most Nigerians in fact do complain about the issues with governance that they are displeased with.

Bangladeshis should avoid behaving like idiotic, backward extremist Hindutva radicals who are high on bluster and bluff, but low on achievements. That's why Indians are a laughing stock the world over, specially amongst the young entreprising, resourceful, educated and intelligent people all over the developing world (East Asia, ASEAN, Africa and elsewhere).

Rising middle class (whether true or not) would imply one important component of GDP would be cushioned from external fluctuations. The article is about the middle class, not whether Bangladeshi industry is surging ahead. Truth is that neither the industrial tycoons nor the middle class citizens are all too comfy about the current economic malaise plagued with high inflation, amongst a host of other issues.

although I have spent most of my life in UK anecdotal evidence from personal experience is that prosperity is increasing in bangladesh both in urban and rural scenario. That is the good side of capitalism ...... on the flip side we are losing our family values. The development is not uniform and the disparity between the rich and the poor is increasing.

But through it all I believe there has been steady increase in our peoples education, outlook as well as purchasing power.

Bangladeshis should avoid behaving like idiotic, backward extremist Hindutva radicals who are high on bluster and bluff, but low on achievements. That's why Indians are a laughing stock the world over, specially amongst the young entreprising, resourceful, educated and intelligent people all over the developing world (East Asia, ASEAN, Africa and elsewhere).

You can't help dragging India and Hindus in everything can you? The only laughing stock of the world are the rabid islamists . For what its worth, India has a very successful space program, has the ninth largest scientific output in terms papers published and has quite a few ($,Pound) Billionaires.

But since its India we are talking about here your criteria will be obviously change. India is miles ahead of your little countries, so fix yourself first and get to the level of India at least before you try to pot shots at India.

You can't help dragging India and Hindus in everything can you? The only laughing stock of the world are the rabid islamists . For what its worth, India has a very successful space program, has the ninth largest scientific output in terms papers published and has quite a few ($,Pound) Billionaires.

But since its India we are talking about here your criteria will be obviously change. India is miles ahead of your little countries, so fix yourself first and get to the level of India at least before you try to pot shots at India.

Did you equate India with Hindutva radicals? Good that you are coming out of your pretence of secularism and all that ballyhoo.

India is the laughing stock of the world, for good reasons, and this forum is ample proof of that. A brief look at the amount of BSing by Indians against much more accomplished Chinese reveals the 'full of bluster but short of action' Indians' true abilities. If what have you said is true, then that is exactly what is wrong with Bangladesh - blustering like Indians without 1/10 achievements commensurate to the bluster, precisely the same thing that Indians do on a regular basis.

In a country of a billion people, seeing a billionaire is not unexpected. If you had a trillionaire, then you could have legitimate bragging rights.

although I have spent most of my life in UK anecdotal evidence from personal experience is that prosperity is increasing in bangladesh both in urban and rural scenario. That is the good side of capitalism ...... on the flip side we are losing our family values. The development is not uniform and the disparity between the rich and the poor is increasing.

But through it all I believe there has been steady increase in our peoples education, outlook as well as purchasing power.

Sounds like Western BS. Long before any Westerner set foot on Bangladeshi soil, present day Bangladesh was one of the most wealthy regions of the world so much so that Ibn Battuta or Fa Hsien (spelling) and many other famous travellers reached Bangladesh and described its wealth, amongst its other features.

Westerners would like to sell anything and everything that is western all around the world by brainwashing the gullible people through its Jewish controlled media.

Did you equate India with Hindutva radicals? Good that you are coming out of your pretence of secularism and all that ballyhoo.

India is the laughing stock of the world, for good reasons, and this forum is ample proof of that. A brief look at the amount of BSing by Indians against much more accomplished Chinese reveals the 'full of bluster but short of action' Indians' true abilities. If what have you said is true, then that is exactly what is wrong with Bangladesh - blustering like Indians without 1/10 achievements commensurate to the bluster, precisely the same thing that Indians do on a regular basis.
Yeah Laughing stock of the world when we found water on the moon, builded an ICBM and BMD system,Builded worlds cheapest car which even MITians vowed to,build a nuclear submarine,build a world class metro system which even mayor of london appreciated Right??
Keep the indhophobia to yourself....

do you work in or run an 'indian' restaurant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom