What's new

Republican administration to maintain close ties with Pakistan

Delnavaz B

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON: If elected, the Trump administration in the US would continue to treat Pakistan as an important ally in a sensitive region, says the Republican election manifesto released at the party convention.

The convention, which ended in Cleveland, Ohio, on Thursday night, endorsed the manifesto and nominated Donald Trump as its official nominee for this year’s presidential elections.

The manifesto, called the party platform in the United States, regards a working relationship with Pakistan as necessary for US interests and gives it a prominent position in its plans for the South Asian region.

The 58-page party platform is unexpectedly friendly towards Pakistan and recognises the historic ties the US has had with the country. It also stresses the need to continue this relationship.

“Pakistanis, Afghans and Americans have a common interest in ridding the region of the Taliban and securing Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal,” says the document while explaining why it is important to continue a close relationship.

The reference to Pakistan’s nuclear programme, however, was interpreted in a section of the media as indicating the Republican desire to seek more US oversight over those weapons. Some reports also claimed that the Republicans wanted direct US access to Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal and if Islamabad refused to do so, they would back moves to impose similar restrictions on Pakistan that currently apply to Iran.

But when Dawn contacted a spokesman for the Republican presidential nominee, he said all such speculations were incorrect.

“The intent of the language in the party platform is to keep Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal safe,” said the spokesman, J.D. Gordon.

“Anything beyond that, and what is reported in the media in India or Pakistan, would be misrepresenting the party platform,” said Mr Gordon, who was a Pentagon spokesman in the Bush administration.

And the manifesto advocates working together in areas of common interests — such as terrorism and narcotics — with mutual trust and cooperation.

The Republican Party platform also marks a pleasant departure from usual Washington rhetoric of blaming Pakistan for its own internal as well as regional problems and asking it to do more.

Instead, the document points out upfront that conflicts in the Middle East and the region have created security challenges for Pakistanis who are grappling to manage the situation politically.

The document also avoids blaming Pakistan for Afghanistan’s security challenges and instead points the finger at the US administration for disregarding advice by commanders.

It refers to security of Pakistani nuclear arsenal as an element in regional security and in a collaborative context.

“Conflicts in the Middle East have created special political and military challenges for the people of Pakistan,” says the manifesto.

“Our working relationship is a necessary, though sometimes difficult, benefit to both, and we look toward the strengthening of historic ties that have frayed under the weight of international conflict.”

The next portion, however, contains a veiled reference to Dr Shakil Afridi, who was detained after he allegedly played a role in tracing Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, saying that the process of rebuilding ties with Pakistan “cannot progress as long as any citizen of Pakistan can be punished for helping the war on terror”.

The Republicans want Pakistan to release Dr Afridi immediately and have launched several moves in the US Congress to achieve this objective.

The document blames the Obama administration for failing to eradicate terrorism from the Pak-Afghan region, claiming that this “goal has been undermined by the current administration’s feckless treatment of troop commitments and blatant disregard of advice from commanders on the ground, particularly with regard to Afghanistan”.

Published in Dawn, July 23rd, 2016
http://www.dawn.com/news/1272609/republican-administration-to-maintain-close-ties-with-pakistan

He'll be too busy deporting Mexicans to have much time to spare for us.

But true!

Barking dogs seldom bite!

All the extremist talks of Trump will be just that, talks!!

America won’t allow and accept such an extremist policy and this is one good thing about them. Yes the media plays and far too important role in shaping up the ideologies and mindset or people but there are a few core values the American still won’t easily give up. Trump is just making noise as an empty vessel to gain all that attention and even attraction in some cases but when in the office he won’t be able to make such drastic changes to the US policies and they will keep following the same trend. Pakistan will remain an important partner. However this Is a fact that the importance of Pakistan will keep on decreasing and that it will no matter which party wins in US. That decreasing importance have less to do with which party wins and more about our own attitude and how we act and sadly we are not doing much to stop that or change that trend. Unless we do so, no matter if it is democrat or a republican in the white house, Pakistan’s importance will keep decreasing. However it won’t be like Trump says that they will just throw Pakistan out of the picture! THAT WONT BE HAPPENING! Just like all those other equally stupid rants about American Muslims and even immigrants will not become a part of policy ever.

bhai no offense par ap kya is forum py in logon ko tag krny ki duty dete ho ......... koi b thread dekho tou pehli post apki hai aur inhi ko bar bar tag krty ho .............. i mean just a funny observation

i m having 2nd thoughts about trump
i think he will be in white house
but know this whoever is in white house means nothing to us ..... Americans have a think tank behind their foreign policy even obama was not able to pull all its troops from afghanistan

bhai no offense par ap kya is forum py in logon ko tag krny ki duty dete ho ......... koi b thread dekho tou pehli post apki hai aur inhi ko bar bar tag krty ho .............. i mean just a funny observation

i m having 2nd thoughts about trump
i think he will be in white house
but know this whoever is in white house means nothing to us ..... Americans have a think tank behind their foreign policy even obama was not able to pull all its troops from afghanistan
I know these people and have similar views and like to share some article and then their comments about it.
For Trump no way he will loose by majority.

I support Trump even he is racist atleast world knows how usa is

Hillary is witch what I like about Trump he talks what in his heart

I support Trump even he is racist atleast world knows how usa is

Hillary is witch what I like about Trump he talks what in his heart

Exactly...I think all Muslim should supports Trump because its an Actual Face of America!!

It was obvious from day first. A lot of Indians and other Anti Pakistan haters were recently getting orgasms with recent anti Pakistan rants by a few Republican congressmen but it was obvious that Obama administration always maintained that having relations and ties with Pakistan is in interest of USA.

Same would continue with if a Republican becomes president of USA. Yeah ranting would be there. Carrot and stick would be there too. But still USA under Trump as a president would make sure to maintain close ties with Pakistan. Pakistan is too big and too important for USA to ignore.

Said it many times before, Republicans are supported by pro-Pakistan while Democrats are controlled by Pro-Indian lobbyist.

make-america-great-again.jpg

Back
Top Bottom