What's new

Renewable Energy in Turkey

World’s Largest Solar Plant to Be Developed in Turkey

Oct262016
The facility will boast 1,000 megawatts, sufficient to power more than 600,000 households.
Solar-Star-I-II-in-Rosamund-Calif.-the-largest-solar-facilities-in-the-U.S.-generate-597-megawatts.jpg

Solar Star I & II in Rosamond, Calif., the largest solar facilities in the U.S. generate 597 megawatts. enough to power more than 255,000 households.

Konya, Turkey—The Turkish minister of energy and natural resources Berat Albayrak announced the tender for a 1-gigawatt photovoltaic solar power plant in Karapinar, Konya, which will be held in December. The announcement described it as “world’s largest photovoltaic solar plant will mark the new era for the renewable energy in Turkey”.

The facility is expected to be completed by the end of 2018. China, the U.S. and several European countries are expected to compete in the tender, which is set to attract more than $1.3 billion worth of investment to Konya. The solar power plant will be built on approximately 5,000 acres and is estimated to produce 1.7 billion KWh of electricity, enough to power more than 600,000 homes.

Bidding companies interested in participating in the project will have to deliver solar power plants able to produce 500 gigawatts of energy per year. The power plant will be able to export energy in the upcoming years.

The government will encourage the successful bidding companies to start energy production as soon as possible, considering that the 15-year guarantee of purchase period will include the production process. The government also laid down a condition to produce at least 65 percent domestic energy in the first phase and 75 percent in the second phase.

The Konya plant will open jobs for at least 1,000 technical staff, including 700 during the construction process, 350 in the operation process, 350 in R&D studies and 100 in engineering studies.

Image courtesy of SunPower Corp.
https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/worlds-largest-solar-plant-to-be-developed-in-turkey/

World’s largest photovoltaic solar plant to be established in Konya by 2018
DAILY SABAH
ISTANBUL
Published October 20, 2016

An aerial view of Andasol solar power station near Guadix, southern Spain August 8, 2015. The plant is the biggest solar farm in the world and provides electricity for up to about 500,000 people. (Reuters Photo)

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Berat Albayrak has announced that the tender for the 1,000 megawatt-photovoltaic solar power plant, which will be established in Konya's Karapınar district, will be held in December. Poised to be the largest of its kind in the world, the solar power plant will pave the way for a new period in Turkey's use of renewable energy resources.

The United States, China and many European countries aspire to compete in the tender, which will attract $1.3 billion worth of investment to Konya. The solar power plant, which will be constructed on a nearly 2,000-hectare area, will produce 1.7 billion kilowatt hours of electricity, which is enough to be used in 600,000 houses.

Touching on the significance of the Karapınar solar farm among other renewable energy resource areas, Albayrak said that this is one of the first energy projects of its kind, which the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government introduced through its perspective that, "There is no rest for the weary."

Successful bidding companies will have to establish a solar power plant that is capable of producing at least 500,000 megawatts of energy a year. The power plant will be able to export energy in the upcoming years.

The project stipulates using domestic technology, research and development (R&D) studies and employing 80 percent domestic engineers. All processes required to create a solar model will be actualized in Turkey. This is a stipulation that will pave the way for technology-based domestic production in the country. The government will encourage the successful bidding companies to start energy production as soon as possible considering that the 15-year period of guarantee of purchase will include the production process. As such, the power plant will start producing domestic energy toward the end of 2018. The government also laid down a condition to produce at least 65 percent domestic energy in the first phase and 75 percent in the second phase.

The power plant will provide jobs for at least 1,000 technical staff, including 700 during the construction process, 350 in the operation process, 350 in R&D studies and 100 in engineering studies.

The investment will create a competitive environment in energy prices, as well as reducing energy costs. Investment options include partnership between domestic and foreign companies.

Turkey is set to hold a tender for a similar project in wind energy in the first quarter of 2017.

Underlining that Turkey has to benefit from domestic resources, especially coal, as well as domestic technologies in environmentalism, Albayrak said the country continues to grow through investments despite being poor in energy. It will further focus on domestic and renewable energy resources. With respect to the wind power plant tender, the government will offer alternative areas, which can attract investors' interest as production fields. The tender will be based on a win-win principle, which will appeal to investors.

http://www.dailysabah.com/energy/20...olar-plant-to-be-established-in-konya-by-2018

ACWA Power Plans 340 MW Wind Power Project In Turkey
By saurabh on October 21, 2016 0 Comments
Saudi Arabia-based power project developer ACWA Power is set to enter renewable energy sector in Turkey.

ACWA Power has announced plans to set up a large-scale wind energy project in Turkey. The proposed project will have an installed capacity of 340 MW. The company already has an operational gas-based power plant near the capital Ankara.

Expansion into Turkey’s renewable energy market is inline with the company’s similar operations and plans in other parts of the world. ACWA Power is working one of the largest solar power complexes in Morocco. The Noor-Ouarzazate solar complex is expected to have an installed capacity of 2 GW once it is fully operational by the end of the decade; ACWA Power is working on some large-scale projects as part of the complex.

ACWA Power is also operating a 50 MW concentrated solar power project in South Africa. The company is operating under the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (REIPPPP). The Bokpoort project has more than 9 hours of storage and can operate during the night as well.

AWCA Power, in partnership with Masdar Group, has also announced plans to set up 1.5 GW solar power and 500 MW wind energy capacity in Egypt.

Last year, Turkey had invited bids for 3 GW of wind energy capacity. Energy Market Regulatory Authority received applications from prospective developers to set up over 42 GW of wind energy capacity, nearly 14 times the available limit. The country aims to have 20 GW of installed wind energy capacity by 2023. It has also set a target to procure 30% of all its electricity needs from renewable energy sources by 2023. The Turkish government is also looking to promoting other renewable energy technologies with target to set up 34 GW hydro power, 5 GW solar power, 1 GW geothermal power, and 1 GW biomass-based power capacity by 2023.
http://cleantechies.com/2016/10/21/acwa-power-plans-340-mw-wind-power-project-in-turkey/
Central Anatolia has vast unused lands with very much sunny days, its a lost potential actually.

All this is nice and dandy, but we need to prioritize nuclear energy. We cannot sustain our population/industrial growth on solar and wind alone. They're simply not very efficient production methods given how little power they provide while having a huge footprint on land. Still, I fully support solar/wind farms on non-agricultural lands.

As Turkey's 3rd nuclear powerplant, we should opt for a CANDU type heavy-water (deuterium) based design. One of the byproducts of a heavy-water based reactor is plutonium, which can be both a valuable export commodity for Turkey AND something that can be used for Turkey's own attack-deterrent purposes.

All this is nice and dandy, but we need to prioritize nuclear energy. We cannot sustain our population/industrial growth on solar and wind alone. They're simply not very efficient production methods given how little power they provide while having a huge footprint on land. Still, I fully support solar/wind farms on non-agricultural lands.

As Turkey's 3rd nuclear powerplant, we should opt for a CANDU type heavy-water (deuterium) based design. One of the byproducts of a heavy-water based reactor is plutonium, which can be both a valuable export commodity for Turkey AND something that can be used for Turkey's own attack-deterrent purposes.

Nope. Radioactive waste is the only reason why I'm supporting nuclear energy in Turkey. I know that we won't have nukes the day after we build a nuclear power plant. But it is also true that having this waste is the first step to produce them. I just want to "keep this option open" for the next generations. Under any other conditions, I never ever would support nuclear energy in Turkey. And I'm not even talking to you as an environmentalist; I'm saying this as an capitalist.

Nuclear energy in Turkey is extremely expensive, grossly inefficient and under economical aspects very gainless, unprofitable. The average Turkish consumer is going to pay very high bills for at least the next 15 years following completion of the plant.

Elektrik Fiyatları Ucuzlar mı?
Akkuyu Nükleer Santrali'nin kurulumunun asıl amacının artan enerji talebinin karşılanması, ülkenin elektrik arz güvenliğinin ya da yakın bir ifade ile enterkonnekte sistem baz yükünün sağlanması olduğu birçok yetkili tarafından dile getirilmiştir. Bunun yanı sıra NGS'nin devreye girmesi ile elektrik fiyatlarının düşeceği gibi bir algı oluşmuş ya da oluşturulmuştur. Akkuyu NGS'de üretilen elektriğin yarısı 15 yıl boyunca 15,33 dolar-sent/kWh fiyata kadar devletimiz tarafından satın alınacaktır. Bu fiyat Temmuz 2016 döviz kuru ile yaklaşık 44 kuruşa denk gelmektedir. Oysaki 2015 yılında serbest piyasada ortalama piyasa takas fiyatı 15,5 kuruş/kWh, 2016 yılının ilk 7 ayında ise 12,3 kuruş/kWh olarak gerçekleşmiştir. Bu rakamlarla devletin alım garantisi verdiği miktarın piyasa fiyatları üzerinde seyredeceği, dolayısıyla son kullanıcıya sunulan elektrik birim fiyatlarında bir indirim olamayacağı görülmektedir.

Fakat alım garantisi bulunmayan ve NGS'de üretilecek elektriğin diğer yarısı serbest piyasada satışa sunulacağından toptan piyasada elektrik birim fiyatlarının kısmen de olsa düşmesini sağlayabileceği düşünülebilir. Fakat tüm üretim ve alımlar hesaplandığında son kullanıcıya bir indirim getiremeyeceği görülmektedir.

Alım garantisi süresinin dolacağı 2036 yılında Akkuyu Nükleer Santrali ülke tüketiminin ancak %4'ünü karşılayabilecektir. Bu tarihten sonra santralde üretilecek enerjinin o gün oluşacak piyasa fiyatlarını aşağıya çekemeyeceği tahmin edilebilir.
http://www.enerjiatlasi.com/nukleer/akkuyu-nukleer-santrali.html

Electricity production by sources in last day

412nrq.png

Bottom to Top ;
>Natural Gas
>Lignite Coal
>Import Coal
>Wind
>Hydro Power
>Geothermal
>Others (Biogas, Solar, Imports etc)

Turkey's changing power markets - Bloomberg New Energy Finance

Interesting Paper from Bloomberg, analysing the forecasts and plans of the Government. They also compare prices for different means including fuel costs and how they influence the current account deficit.

Bloomberg believes that the Government is overestimating the energy demand as countries use less energy the richer they get because they tend to grow in the service sector as opposed to the producing sector which is using a lot more energy.

One thing we seem to completely ignore is efficiency. We are still losing 15 percent of our energy due to inefficieny in the grid.
Also energy efficient building seems to be ignored completely. Like energy inefficient light bulbs should be taken off the market like in the European Union.

Seems like solar energy is not subsidized on purpose because of the huge coal reserves we have and the Government plans to utilize with around 80 planed power plants. Thus big investments for solar energy will be seen in a later stage, 2030+
Great share, thank you!

I'm writing an article about renewable energy in Turkey, I'm mainly focusing on wind turbines and PV solar energy.
A little bit about the work I do, I'm mainly focusing on specific areas in Turkey that where Wind and Solar energy would be most beneficial to place.

That was the research part, but I'm also going to do updated literature review on the renewable energy in Turkey. So credible articles within this field is very much appreciated (in wind and solar).

Great share, thank you!

I'm writing an article about renewable energy in Turkey, I'm mainly focusing on wind turbines and PV solar energy.
A little bit about the work I do, I'm mainly focusing on specific areas in Turkey that where Wind and Solar energy would be most beneficial to place.

That was the research part, but I'm also going to do updated literature review on the renewable energy in Turkey. So credible articles within this field is very much appreciated (in wind and solar).
I think KediKesenFare could help you with this, right? :)

https://ytbs.teias.gov.tr/ytbs/frm_login.jsf

TEİAŞ starts sharing daily electricity generation by source in their website
Amazing!

Guys I need your help - I have to place a buffer zone - meaning that I need to find rules/regulations in Turkey of how close a wind turbine can be placed next to a building.

Normally it's 500-700m in the EU countries, I did a search on google about this but I hardly found any reliable source about it.

Can anyone help me with this? Turkish or English language doesn't matter - all what matters is the source being credible.

Amazing!

Guys I need your help - I have to place a buffer zone - meaning that I need to find rules/regulations in Turkey of how close a wind turbine can be placed next to a building.

Normally it's 500-700m in the EU countries, I did a search on google about this but I hardly found any reliable source about it.

Can anyone help me with this? Turkish or English language doesn't matter - all what matters is the source being credible.
http://www.eie.gov.tr/yenilenebilir/y_mevzuat.aspx

Kolay Gelsin. :)

While Wind Turbines keep generating more and more electricity, FETÖ accounts are running black-propaganda against Wind Energy

You can see them in "Anti-Nuclear, Anti-Hydro, Anti-Wind" power rallies, but you cannot see them in Anti-Imported Coal Power Plants, Anti-Natural Gas Power Plants rallies :)

While Wind Turbines keep generating more and more electricity, FETÖ accounts are running black-propaganda against Wind Energy

You can see them in "Anti-Nuclear, Anti-Hydro, Anti-Wind" power rallies, but you cannot see them in Anti-Imported Coal Power Plants, Anti-Natural Gas Power Plants rallies :)

Lol, i watched some other videos of this channel.....i never thought people would be against wind turbines.....also, all the claims of this youtube channel is not based on scientific facts and made up.

What do you think could be the reasons?

FETÖ is CIA supported Terror Organisation, which also got cover shield from Germany and some other EU States. Reason is clear, NAZIs don't want to see Strong and Independent Turkish Republic :)

AKP is the main guilty here, they builded Natural Gas power plants all over the Country when AKP was under CIA/FETÖ control. Tens of billions spent to build useless power plants, and another tens of billions sent to Russia and Iran to buy Natural Gas for those power plants.

Mostly German companies build those Power Plants, together with some other NAZI States such as Holland and Austria. We got tens of billions debt from abroad to build and operate those plants.

Right now AKP went rival and out of CIA/NAZI control, and they are aiming the National and Renewable energy sources, which is not NAZI's benefits, so they are using FETÖ to harm their ex-partner :)

Renewable energy is nice to have, in fact the more the merrier, but it shouldn't be the primary goal for solving Turkey's skyrocketing energy needs. We should PRIORITIZE nuclear energy as a main load energy generation method. France gets a whopping 75% of its electricity from nuclear powerplants. I'm not saying we should do the same, but let's at least aim for 25% by 2030.

nuclear_grass580.jpg

Great share, thank you!

Hey,
I would like to share my mind. In Turkiye everyone has a boiler on the rooftop. This can be combined with the solarpanels not only to heat but have Electricity too.

Everyone spends a lot of their money to gas. Instead of that there should be a company to give the folks an option to pay monthly or whatever it is the best for them. Build a solar roof. Instead of paying for gas, you will be able to pay the monthly cost for the solarsystem. So it's actually an investment WITHOUT ANY cost. There are many urban areas in Turkiye. Turkiye is urban.

One of the easiest self sufficient solution for homes. I wish I had the money for it...
This is how you get INDEPENDENT!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom