What's new

Remembering Pilot Officer Rashid Minhas

N/A

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
" (Web Desk) -- Tuesday marks the 44th death anniversary of a Pakistani national hero, Rashid Minhas Shaheed.

He remains the youngest officer to receive the Nishan-e-Haider award and is the only recipient of the highest honour of gallantry from Pakistan Air Force.

Born on 17th February 1951, this gallant son of soil got his early education from the city of lights, Karachi.

On reaching the age of 17, he joined Pakistan Airforce Academy in Risalpur as a Flying Cadet. He graduated from the academy and passed out as General Duty Pilot in 1971. He was posted to PAF base Masroor to hone his craft as a fighter pilot. He successfully completed his training in August 1971.

These were tense times in the history of the country and times of such magnitude require men of even greater substance. Needless to say Rashid Minhas rose to the occasion when the duty called.

On the fateful morning of 20th August, Rashid Minhas got into his aircraft and got clearance for take-off by Air traffic controller. He was readying his aircraft for take-off when his trainer, the traitor-to-be, Matiur Rehman, signalled the young officer’s T-33 Trainer Jet to halt.

This raised a red flag in the young officer’s mind who thought the act to be an irregularity as the protocol dictated otherwise.

But the 20 year old thought nothing of it as his ‘instructor’ climbed abroad his aircraft under the pretense of ‘observation’.

Rashid Minhas’ initial judgement proved right as the backseat member of his 2 crew trainer aircraft transmitted a message via radio to his comrades back in Karachi to take his family to the Indian High Commission and seek refuge there.

On learning the nefarious plot of the Judas clad in the uniform of his beloved country Rashid Minhas notified Maripur Control Tower of the incident.

The traitor, however, overpowered the officer by employing chloroform from behind in an literalc act of backstab and cowardice. The young officer lost consciousness soon as the effect of the drug took its toll.

The spirit of Rashid Minhas was far from broken. As his captive took control and changed the direction of the plane to Indian territory, the young lad fought mind over matter to regain consciousness and sent repeated messages on radio.

The enemy territory edged closely by the moment and even in the heat of the situation, Rashid Minhas knew that the aircraft could not be maneuvered back to the base.

It is said that God reserves the toughest battles for his best and such was the case when Rashid Minhas decided that he would rather see the aircraft burned to the ground than to be in the hands of the enemy.

As the crossing of the border remained 32 kilometers, Rashid Minhas turned his control yoke downwards to steer his plane to the ground. His plane crashed down in Thatta, Sindh.

The gallant officer braved martyrdom at 11:45 hours 20th August 1971.

Rashid Minhas showed interest in aviation and aircrafts from a young age. Little did anybody know that the young boy, whose family hailed from Jammu Kashmir would achieve a height of greatness beyond any elevation an aircraft could reach.

He was awarded the highest gallantry award, Nishan-e-Haider posthumously."

May Allah(swt) grant you the highest place in heaven. Nations that sacrifice stay alive, ahmadullah Pakistan is one of those few nations. With sons like you the nation will always sleep at night.

g4_d5_rashid_minhas.jpg
Rashid-Minhas-03.jpg

Sir,

Rashid Minhas never deserved the Nishan A Haider---. He disobeyed the cardinal rule--of stopping the taxi and loading up a passenger---. He should have been court martialed after his death with a disgraceful discharge.

His act was disgraceful---and lacked the understanding of standing orders. He showed extremely poor decision making abilities---he did not deserve to be an officer.

Oh please.. Mastan Khan as much as I respect you, stop viewing this as such a robot. The boy sacrificed his life for the nation. He preferred death to compromising intel. Times were different then, and I'm sure PAF has enacted strict protocol for this type of situation. Anyone can be deceived. Please give respect where respect is due.

Sir,

Rashid Minhas never deserved the Nishan A Haider---. He disobeyed the cardinal rule--of stopping the taxi and loading up a passenger---. He should have been court martialed after his death with a disgraceful discharge.

His act was disgraceful---and lacked the understanding of standing orders. He showed extremely poor decision making abilities---he did not deserve to be an officer.

Have you ever served in the forces?

Sir,

Hey man long time no see,

You have your opinion I have my mine we have established that a while ago but, talking trash about a shaheed is cowardless and ignorant. Pilot officer Minhas shaheed could of easily let the plane land in India, but he held onto his integrity and love for his nation till his last drop of blood. The amount of guts needed to knowingly crash your plane is behind imaginable. Let me ask you a question, at the tender age of 19 would you have replicated Pilot Officer Minhas shaheed course of events given the same situation.... Probably not. Whether the incident could have been avoided is another story, but disrespecting a Nishan E Haider recipient is parallel to treason.

Last edited:
Sir,

i hv been seeing @MastanKhan Povs for almost last 5 yrs ...n now iam convinced he is Hassan Nisar's ammi for PDF ...

Massive Respect for our Hero,

no Power can Undo Pakistan for This soil has produced heroes the Likes of Rashid Minhas,
may Allah Grant Him Jannah,

whenever I read about what he did, My Patriotism Reignites.
it never gets old.
heroes never die, they live for eternity.

Last edited:
No---. I can just sit in my chair and write the policy.

Thank You, for that important clarification!

What you stated was theoretical. What happened was practical. When a senior stops you, even if you are in the middle of the road, discipline overtakes SOP, and you stop. I can fully understand why the young officer, barely 5 months in to his service, would have done that. Secondly, having errored, did he sit comfortably and watch the world go by in history? OR did he create history, by saying "not on my watch" and did everything he could to gain control of the the aircraft? Which he could not do, and therefore choose to give up his life, rather than cross the border, with serious implications.

But you can comfortably sit in your living room, and pass judgement :tup:

Last edited:
I knew Rashid Minhas , Personally.

Rashid Minhas was a Fine Officer and a Gentleman.

He was a soft spoken and a gentle soul.

@MastanKhan , what the heck do you know about Pakistan Air Force and its rules.

Rashid Minhas had no choice till that point. Flt. Lt. Matiur Rehman was an instructor and a Superior Officer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom