What's new

Reincarnation in Bharat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a nice quote from Wikipedia to help you guys along:

Hindu texts are typically seen to revolve around many levels of reading, namely the gross or physical, the subtle, and the supramental.

Seriously, if you want a decent outsiders view on Hinduism, just read up the wikipedia article.

They are definitely not doing the right thing according to me. There are several different ways to interpret Hindus scriptures.

Some people tend to interpret them in the most literal sense, others tend to seek the philosophical meaning behind those texts, and still others seek only moral guidance from them.

Still others follow the guru-shishya samprayda..!! which is the correct.. every true spritual aspirant should try to hunt for a Guru(Gurubhava it can be inanimate or animate .. complex thingy) to decipher which practise is best suited and how to understand texts...
Many "so called Hindu ultra-radicals like the followers of Swami Vivekanada also know that the Guru of Swami Vivekanadna lived as a Muslim for a year besides others and in the end declare all religions have teh same goal and there is no difference b/w what each others do as their end goal is the same..

So there are several different ways practicing Hinduism. You must have heard that recently some village girl was born with 8 arms, and people began to worship her as the goddess Lakshmi?
Each arm carries an attribute of goddess lakshmi, and the "highest" way of looking at that, is to understand the symbolism behind the idol and imbibe the qualities in one's daily life.

Kudos.. stealth..

I don't think any hindu scripture states that your sins are erased by touching white rats.

Even the Scholars declare that bathing in Ganges doesnot erase sins.. so what is to say of rats..

This *** worship is just an amalgamation of local beliefs and hindu scriptures, along with some frivolous additions.

:agree:

This variety and sometimes weird practices are a result of the lack of central control in Hinduism. There is no worldwide authority that tells you how to interpret the texts or what rules to follow.

But there is
I think the 4 Shankaracharyas are the spiritual leaders of Hindus..
further each Math's or School's Guru/Head guides them.. and in Orders... I think the Giri order is the highest authority not sure though..
and Kashi Vidvan(I am not sure of spelling) Sabha.. etc.. are some of the authorities..
though the highest authority has to be under I think the Jagadguru and Acharyas declared by Kashi Vidvan Sabha... as the central authority..

Though How many ask them or follow them is all speculation.. :angel:

Dude, there are no "have tos" in Hinduism. Arguing with Hindus here for what must be 2 years, you must have learnt this by now.

It is even declared in the Hindu texts.. that instead of worshipping God even if you hate him you will attain to heaven... (for at least you believe in him and remember him though you remember him for a wrong reason, and God being all merciful pardons you, and blesses you for remembering and believing in him)

Hindu texts range from the Vedas, to the Upanishads, Puranas, the Gita. If you want to study Hinduism, you will have to study how Hinduism evolved to take its present form, not quote random verses from obscure texts that most hindus haven't even heard of.

Well said.. to truly understand hinduism.. you have to undertake study under someone.. and if that is not possible.. follow books like Gita, Ramayana etc.. Upanishats are not for the rookies.. Puranas have been to corrupted at times.. though they are an excellent source of mythologies..

The biggest mistake you can make is look at Hinduism from the monotheistic point of view as a "set of rules" that every hindu must follow. There is nothing like that.

As the prophet there is no compulsion in religion..

the Upanishads are famous for the depth of philosophical thinking, the Puranas are a vast corpus of legends, mythology, dynastic histories, moral fables, jain and buddhist rules, etc etc.
The Dharmashastras detail most of the laws of varna, dietary laws, laws of worship, rites such as birth and funeral, pilgrimage, karma etc. etc.

+ you have countless sutras, stotras, shashtras, etc. which should be touched at least initially..

The Gita is pehaps the most famous hindu book, where krishna gives his philosophical discourse to Arjuna on the battlefield, and details the various yogas...karmayog, bhaktiyog, jyanayog..etc etc....

perfect intro to Hinduism and indeed philosophy of life..

Of course, on top of that you have the Mahabharat and Ramayana.

Then theres the Tevaram from Tamil Nadu...
Never heard of it

Then there are thousands of minor texts that have everything from mythology, to history, to mathematics, sciences,...

To knowledge of politics, logic, mathematics, martial arts, music, architecture etc..

Now within these texts, which can be perhaps called the collective memory of this civilization, are philosophies, mathematical formulations, linguistics, histories, geographies, medicine, surgery, travelogues, etc etc., along with ideas that can be used to justify atheism, monotheism, polytheism, deism.

well said Stealth..
are you sure you are an atheist?? :cheers:

So with my understanding of many Indian who are supposedly "Hindus" on the web, aren't really Hindus, but rather atheists, who don't believe their own religion.

Its quite understandable when a religion gets corrupted or manipulated or at least it is forced on to them which is however sometimes quite embarrassing and shameful to one in order to continue.

So with my understanding of many Indian who are supposedly "Hindus" on the web, aren't really Hindus, but rather atheists, who don't believe their own religion.

depends unless they explicity say so...

Many youngsters today are not into religion as per surveys.. most of my cousins and friends have not visited places of worship in years.. nor prayed etc.. so you can in a way classify 'em as atheists..though if they are or not is a different question.. if you ask 'em what are you they will probably say Hindu or Sikh or Christian etc.. if you ask 'em do you believe in God.. they may be give some smart *** answer :smokin: (something of the sort.. that makes you a bad muslim type thingy)

unless those Atheist are followers of Manduknya Upanishat(there are others) then these Atheists are HIndus.. and if these Atheists accept the laws of karma then also they can be considered as Hindus... Followers of Hatha Yoga are also Hindus.. they can be atheists as well..
Athiesm here means.. --> desire for enlightment without God..

Its quite understandable when a religion gets corrupted or manipulated or at least it is forced on to them which is quite embarrassing and shameful to one in order to continue.

:hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall:

the fact is there is no compulsion nor can religion be forced.. Hence if someone prefers to be an atheist why not... It is better than forcing religion down the throat.. and/or following wrong practises.. or killing a person because of apostasy

If I don't believe in God doesnot make me bad... or it is not because my religion has degenerated.. it is my personal choice... I just don't believe in something... and if my non - believing in God is acceptable to my religion then I am both a follower of my religion and atheism..

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Stop trying to skip the discussion. Stick with the topic and discuss it. Otherwise, go to some other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom