Rashid Latif admits cheating at Multan test

leonblack08

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Latif admits cheating at Multan

RASHID LATIF
Sports Reporter
Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif admitted that he faked the catch of Bangladesh batsman Alok Kapali during the third and final Test at Multan six years ago that the visitors lost by one wicket.

His confessional statement was aired on Desh TV, a local private television channel, on Saturday night where the former Pakistan wicketkeeper also explained what prompted him to resort to an act of cheating.

The 41-year-old Pakistani said that he did it intentionally keeping in mind that a defeat against Bangladesh would not be taken sportingly at home especially after the bitter memories of the 1999 loss in the World Cup.

He said that their one-day international loss against Bangladesh during the 1999 World Cup in England raised questions of match fixing and he feared that the defeat at Multan, which was always on the cards, might fuel that allegation again.

Now in Dhaka to attend the Level III coaches education course conducted by the Asian Cricket Council and Cricket Australia in collaboration with the Bangladesh Cricket Board, Latif also recalled the incident, which was widely criticised.

“I dived to my right to take a Kapali nick (off an Yasir Ali delivery). The ball dropped from my gloves as I rolled over but quickly picked it up from the ground before claiming it as a clean catch,” said the stumper.

In that Test, Bangladesh were in a strong position to pull off a historic win. After scoring 281 in the first innings they bowled Pakistan out for 175. In their second knock Bangladesh wobbled after Kapali's dismissal on a difficult track. In their second innings, Pakistan rode on an unbeaten 138 from Inzamamul Haq to save the blushes. It was also alleged that the groundsmen cut the outfield grass the night before the start of the fourth day, a clear violation of the game rules, so that the ball could move faster towards the boundary.

An uneasy Latif however did not say anything about other incidents.

Latif was subsequently suspended for next five matches for bringing the game into disrepute. He also stepped down as captain after that three-Test series.

In that series, Bangladesh also played very well in the second Test at Peshawar. But a second innings debacle saw Bangladesh eventually lose the game by nine wickets.

Latif is currently the wicket keeping coach of the Pakistan youth team.

<i>Latif admits cheating at Multan</i>

Last edited:
Ashoka De Silva's 3 wrong decisions also went against us that time.Which would have seen Inzamul back in pavilion.

We were soooo close to our first test victory against a major power:cry:

Bad luck :cry::cry: :hitwall:

Why is this news? There are so many instances of bowlers appealing for LBW or caught behind when they know the batsman is not out. The fault lies with the umpire and not the player.

Why is this news? There are so many instances of bowlers appealing for LBW or caught behind when they know the batsman is not out. The fault lies with the umpire and not the player.

Did you read what he said?

&#8220;I dived to my right to take a Kapali nick (off an Yasir Ali delivery). The ball dropped from my gloves as I rolled over but quickly picked it up from the ground before claiming it as a clean catch,&#8221;

It was not our day.

LOL exactly. I dont know what is the big fuss about this. I hope Bangladesh becomes a competitive cricket nation so we dont have to listen to petty things that occurred many years ago.

Also i dont know the exact rules. But as i see the catch. These things are to be notice.

As Latif caught the ball he had clear possession of the ball. Latif then landed on the ground with complete possession and control of the ball. As he rolled over on the ground with the momentum of dive he soon lost control of the ball. The catch IMO is complete once he lands on the ground with complete possession..whatever happens after split seconds is no longer valued.

Well these things happen in cricket,I won't disagree with that.the news came up so many years later because Rashid Latif is in Dhaka now and on an interview he revealed it.So it came up in today's news.And so I posted it.Nothing to get serious about.

We just had Bad luck on that day.

As Latif caught the ball he had clear possession of the ball. Latif then landed on the ground with complete possession and control of the ball. As he rolled over on the ground with the momentum of dive he soon lost control of the ball. The catch IMO is complete once he lands on the ground with complete possession..whatever happens after split seconds is no longer valued.

Webby I think there is a rule regarding keeping the ball for few seconds.Heard it before but can't confirm it.

That's why catches are not awarded when fielder catches it on the boundary for a second and throws it out to save it from being a six.Fielder has to catch it for a few seconds.

I remmber Inzi made a big hundered in that match to take pakistan home so i guess he was not aware of watever was fixed out there so hard luck bengali's :flame:

Leonblack,

What is the purpose of this post on this board---don't start a flame over here guy.

Sir as I said before it is nothing to be taken seriously.Its in member's section,so I expected no one to get serious about it.Rashid Latif is in Dhaka now and on an interview he admitted it.So it came up in today's news.And so I posted it.Nothing to get serious about.
And I have already mentioned many times that these things happens in cricket and it was our bad luck.

At times we see even more outrageous looking threads in members section,but often are taken lightly.Now if people look at it from extreme point of view,it isn't my fault.Is it Sir?

Besides who even cares what happened 6 years ago in a test match.His admission isn't going to change anything.

I really wanted to see bangladesh to be a competitive team but I am disappointed after playing for so long they are nowhere near. Now there is a talk of taking the test status back from them. Lets hope they improve their cricket.

It depends on how long you hold it i guess. But the example of the player touching to boundary is a different one because once the person touches the boundary with the ball in hand..the ball has reached its boundary.

What's the point in admitting now? arghh

The guilty???

He couldn't take it with him anymore so he spilled it now. :what:

some times it happened with us i think u forgot the daryl hair when he call pakistan team cheats when we was not

Back
Top Bottom