What's new

Rare Pictures of Quaid-e-Azam.

a82671e44b13801a6f90204748c8dd51._.gif

Ruttie Jinnah's last letter to her husband

S. S. Rajputana,
Marseilles 5 Oct 1928

Darling – thank you for all you have done. If ever in my bearing your once tuned senses found any irritability or unkindness – be assured that in my heart there was place only for a great tenderness and a greater pain – a pain my love without hurt. When one has been as near to the reality of Life (which after all is Death) as I have been dearest, one only remembers the beautiful and tender moments and all the rest becomes a half veiled mist of unrealities. Try and remember me beloved as the flower you plucked and not the flower you tread upon.

I have suffered much sweetheart because I have loved much. The measure of my agony has been in accord to the measure of my love.

Darling I love you – I love you – and had I loved you just a little less I might have remained with you – only after one has created a very beautiful blossom one does not drag it through the mire. The higher you set your ideal the lower it falls.

I have loved you my darling as it is given to few men to be loved. I only beseech you that the tragedy which commenced in love should also end with it.

Darling Goodnight and Goodbye

Ruttie

I had written to you at Paris with the intention of posting the letter here – but I felt that I would rather write to you afresh from the fullness of my heart. R.

Mr Jinnah's first meeting with the new viceroy Lord Mountbatten was a disaster. "It took most of the interview trying to unfreeze him" remarked Mountbatten afterwards. But at the end of the meeting things got better because a group photograph had to be taken and assuming that Edwina Mountbatten would be in the center Mr Jinnah planned that we would remark 'a rose between two thorns'. Apparently Mr Jinnah was placed in the center but he passed the remark anyway causing some laughter. The relations of the two men never improved significantly though. All the rest is history!

340d053bbd57345413473100b3142b17.jpg

Mr Jinnah with Lord Pethick Lawrence and Mr A V
Alexander. The Cabinet Mission came to India in 1946 but could not achieve a consensus and failed miserably. Its chief quickly acquired the name Lord 'Pathetic' Lawrence.

0bd0ea841601c5611306e4c8e041cb69.jpg

Pakistan-60-Heritage Special: The Founder meeting the Viceroy Lord Wavell in 1946

ab8967c4d1b5d9cf50cfb29d01524c73.jpg

95988fcf78b2fe19ca5a7257cd8f71e0.jpg

8145a200f53a4690839045768137e5fe.jpg

An previously unpublished picture of Father of the Nation, Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah being received at Lahore Airport by a PAF Officer.
Picture Courtesy: Tanweer Abbas

Quaid-e-Azam being greeted at RPAF Station Lahore by station commander J R Khan - circa end-1947.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom