What's new

Railway engines of different countries

which is a better locomotive for economics of a country?

• diesel engines

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • electric engines

Votes: 76 84.4%

• Total voters
@anant_s

Is the WAG 7 still in production? If yes then why? When we are producing the WAG 9, then whats the need of WAG7. Some say its very cheap in comparison, that's why. Is it like this?

Is the WAG 7 still in production?
yes the production is still underway and till date WAG 7 Road number 28770 (to be allocated to Erode shed SR) have been produced.
If yes then why?
Two reasons
1. Each WAG 7 costs Rs. 7.00 crores as against Rs. 12.76 crore of WAG 9. So cost of ownership is a significant value.
1.png

Performance of WAG 7 isn't much inferior to WAG 9.

TS-Characteristics-of-WAG7-and-WAG9-Locomotive1.png

(Violet line is WAG 7 and Blue one is WAG 9). In terms of money you can get around 3 WAG 7 for price of 2 WAG 9. Now if you see this w.r.t tractive effort of a long train or load to be pulled, it is cheaper to put 2 WAG 7 and than with similar tractive power of WAG 9.
However there is a catch here, power consumption owing to re-generative braking capability of WAG 9 is lower than WAG 9 and in longer run WAG 9 pays for its capital cost.
2. WAG 7 are distributed to virtually every freight loco shed and owing to its commonality (HS 15250 motors and HETT 5400 kVA transformer) with WAP 4, the maintenance is far easier and simpler.

So as far as use of these Tap changer locos is concerned, WAG 7 will be kept in production for atleast next 3-4 years before switching over to pure 3 phasers. In case you are interested, here is the plan for upto 2020).
Untitled.png
WAG 7.JPG

Bhai those are all old old historic locos. Newer locos after 1990's did not make it to that list...and there has been many of them. But I'll be the first to admit - Bangladesh Railway is a pretty shoddy outfit. Rife with corruption and neglect. A shame - really. First step in solving a problem is acknowledging there is a problem.

In my opinion - they should hand over the Railway to the Army temporarily, fire all the nepotist corrupt b*st*rds and start over fresh.

Bhai those are all old old historic locos. Newer locos after 1990's did not make it to that list...and there has been many of them. But I'll be the first to admit - Bangladesh Railway is a pretty shoddy outfit. Rife with corruption and neglect. A shame - really. First step in solving a problem is acknowledging there is a problem.

In my opinion - they should hand over the Railway to the Army temporarily, fire all the nepotist corrupt b*st*rds and start over fresh.
@Bilal9
brother how is the railway administration structure organized in Bangladesh?
i mean is it directly controlled by a minister or is there a board in between to oversee running part with Ministry to formulate policy decision.

@Bilal9
brother how is the railway administration structure organized in Bangladesh?
i mean is it directly controlled by a minister or is there a board in between to oversee running part with Ministry to formulate policy decision.

The Railway (after 1995) now answers to a Director General who is the head of the 'Bangladesh Railway Authority' (which is the board you refer to). The Railway Authority is chaired by the Minister of Communications.

On August 12, 1995 the day to day operation of the Railway was separated from the Ministry and entrusted with director general drawn from the Railway professionals. For policy guidance, a nine member Bangladesh Railway Authority (BRA) was formed with the Minister of Communications as its Chairman. The Director General is assisted by Additional Director General and Joint Director General to perform all administrative and policy making tasks.

@Khan saheb here are some newer shots.

Railway in Bangladesh is not the preferred way to travel. People use buses nowadays, especially long distance luxury buses which are very popular. Railways has always been a money loser because administration is so shoddy.

@anant_s some of these are Indian prototype locos....and note the dual gauge lines.

12368479565_7949556848_c.jpg

I think this may be a British Shunter (very old)
12388018294_2d3853db1c_c.jpg

Typical scene - this rake is being pulled by a newer Hyundai ROTEM unit
12415212365_632353c8d6_c.jpg

New Chinese DMU on the right, Dhaka-Kolkata rake on the left (Indonesian A/C coaches)
12952803664_3b96c70c24_b.jpg

Hyundai Rotem (MG) Loco in Lawachhara forest (Sylhet area)
16031001051_2e39575765_b.jpg

Indian Alco unit I think
16943170985_130fbddba8_z.jpg

@anant_s some of these are Indian prototype locos....and note the dual gauge lines.

New Chinese DMU on the right, Dhaka-Kolkata rake on the left (Indonesian A/C coaches)

Indian Alco unit I think
yes the two Indian origin ALCOs surely are WDM 3A.
one loco looks like a GE make, i'm not sure of model though. wonder if they are still in service.

The Railway (after 1995) now answers to a Director General who is the head of the 'Bangladesh Railway Authority' (which is the board you refer to). The Railway Authority is chaired by the Minister of Communications.

On August 12, 1995 the day to day operation of the Railway was separated from the Ministry and entrusted with director general drawn from the Railway professionals. For policy guidance, a nine member Bangladesh Railway Authority (BRA) was formed with the Minister of Communications as its Chairman. The Director General is assisted by Additional Director General and Joint Director General to perform all administrative and policy making tasks.

@Khan saheb here are some newer shots.

Railway in Bangladesh is not the preferred way to travel. People use buses nowadays, especially long distance luxury buses which are very popular. Railways has always been a money loser because administration is so shoddy.

Indian Alco unit I think
Minister of Railway heads the BRA nowadays as government separated railway from Ministry of Communication.
@anant_s @Bilal9

The top two are MG GM Canada units. This class has been rebuilt and refurbished countless times and are now fifty or so years old if not more. Yet they soldier on :-)

They usually head up container trains from Dhaka Container Yard to Chittagong Port.

The bottom one is Hyundai Rotem which has been very successful locally. I think BR should start assembling them as we have many units (over a hundred) in operation.

Last edited:
The top two are MG GM Canada units. This class has been rebuilt and refurbished countless times and are now fifty or so years old if not more. Yet they soldier on :-)

They usually head up container trains from Dhaka Container Yard to Chittagong Port.

The bottom one is Hyundai Rotem which has been very successful locally. I think BR should start assembling them as we have many units (over a hundred) in operation.
There is three of them for container service.Serial 2020,2022,2025.

Back
Top Bottom