What's new

Rahul Gandhi won't be PM nominee, will lead Congress campaign

janon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
I predicted this would happen. The congress are not stupid enough to pit rahul gandhi against NaMo. They will nominate a technocrat, or some well respected person, as they did with MMS in 2004.

Rahul Gandhi won't be PM nominee, will lead Congress campaign: sources | NDTV.com

Rahul Gandhi will lead his party's campaign for the general election, but despite the clamour for him to be named the prime ministerial candidate of the Congress, he will not formally run for the country's top job, said sources.

The most senior leaders of the party - the Congress Working Committee which is headed by Mr Gandhi's mother and Congress president Sonia Gandhi - met this evening. Many in the group asked for Mr Gandhi to be made the prime ministerial candidate, but Mrs Gandhi did not agree.

Instead, the resolution that's likely to be adopted will entrust the campaign to the 43-year-old. He will be up against Narendra Modi, who was declared months ago as the presumptive prime minister of the main opposition party, the BJP.

The resolution adopted at today's Congress meeting will almost certainly be endorsed at a huge conclave tomorrow to be attended by thousands of party workers.

Mr Gandhi, 43, said earlier this week that he will accept whatever responsibility is conferred upon him by the Congress, seen by many as his strongest hint yet that he is willing to run for the country's top job.

"Rahul Gandhi will lead his party's campaign for the general election, but despite the clamour for him to be named the prime ministerial candidate of the Congress, he will not formally run for the country's top job, said sources."

But that's worse(for Congress) - isn't it? :azn:

Now the question is, which technocrat would like to become the new rubber stamp?

Any guess who that could be?
There were talks earlier or Nandan Nilekani of Infosys. But at this stage, we can only guess. They will pull somebody out of the hat at the last minute.

We have a congress worker on the forum, let's see if he knows. @jbgt90

won't matter who ever is projected. Now People know that who so ever will be the nominee, would be a weak and lap dog of sonia mam like mms.
PS: infact its even better for BJP.

Hmmm....what exactly is bad for the BJP- care to elaborate?

Any guess who that could be?

P Chidambaram, without a doubt, now that the clown Shinde is in a mess.

won't matter who ever is projected. Now People know that who so ever will be the nominee, would be a weak and lap dog of sonia mam like mms.
PS: infact its even better for BJP.

Depends on the candidat, but I agree, Rahul might had been more difficult to handle for Sonia than another candidate, because she can't simply overrule her own son and degrade him in public. Also Rahuls recent comments with regards to AAP, made him more reasonable as a "partner", if the new candidate will have a stronger opinion against AAP, it will only help BJP, so tactically that's a problematic move.

There were talks earlier or Nandan Nilekani of Infosys. But at this stage, we can only guess. They will pull somebody out of the hat at the last minute.

We have a congress worker on the forum, let's see if he knows. @jbgt90
It will be either PC, or Anthony, and if the high command really wants to be radical it may nominate Nandan Nilekani

P Chidambaram, without a doubt, now that the clown Shinde is in a mess.

Do you think he has a chance? I don't know too much about his stand in the party, but as a politican and wrt to his way of talking and arguing, he wouldn't be a bad choice, but feel free to correct me!

I dont think Chidambaram will be projected. Congress knows this time they are going to "lose". They put up some low profile guy to take the blame.

It will be either PC, or Anthony, and if the high command really wants to be radical it may nominate Nandan Nilekani
Hope that doesn't happen, I still think it will be rahul, if congress does decide to be radical it might go with Sonia instead!

Anthony, doubtful. Kerala doesn't have that much clout. Honestly AK Antony and Oommen Chandy are far better PM candidates for the congress than many others, since they have served the party for so long, and Chandy seems to be doing a fine job as the CM of Kerala. But I don't expect the congress to recognize merit, electoral compulsions will dictate somebody from the larger states.

Hope that doesn't happen, I still think it will be rahul, if congress does decide to be radical it might go with Sonia instead!

They may be feeling hopeless, but they are not feeling suicidal!

Antony would be the worst choice, simply by the fact that he is not even considered as a strong defence minister (unfair imo though) and he would stand no chance to his opponents in convincing the public.

Back
Top Bottom