What's new

Raheel Sharif appointed chief of Islamic military alliance, confirms Khawaja Asif

I wonder when, and what amount of troops are going to be deployed anyway, if they are.

But, its befitting of a Punjabi Rajput Sher to lead the coalition, with his experiences and all :D

Truth, is most of the Gulf nations, although, possessing expensive weaponry, but their common soldiers aren't the best trained. I guess if they finance the mission, I would also like Bangladeshi troops to be deployed. It's just like any UN mission right? Just a bit more offensive in nature maybe.

Why do you want to be a pawn of an useless war which is not Islamic in nature rather it is purely driven by Arab's desire to dominate the Muslim world against Iranian influence???

Why do you want to be a pawn of an useless war which is not Islamic in nature rather it is purely driven by Arab's desire to dominate the Muslim world against Iranian influence???
I don't really care, I just know that ISIS is evil, and its a duty for everyone to eradicate that evil.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world...ry-alliance/story-CFegcZyRqhIz9Q7mGz0uzK.html
Pakistan clears Saudi move to make Raheel Sharif head of Islamic Military Alliance
world Updated: Mar 25, 2017 15:38 IST
default_author.png

HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
pakistan-defence-security-military_e0256f40-1141-11e7-be49-55692bf38950.jpg

File photo of former Pakistan Army chief Gen Raheel Sharif attending a ceremony in Gwadar port in Balochistan in November 2016. (AFP)
The Pakistan government has cleared a move to make former army chief Gen Raheel Sharif the head of a military alliance of 39 Muslim countries created by Saudi Arabia, defence minister Khawaja Asif has said.

Soon after Sharif completed his term last year, it was reported in December that he would lead the Islamic Military Alliance, which was formed by the Saudis in 2015 to fight terrorism, especially the Islamic State and other groups.

Asif told Geo News channel on Saturday that Pakistan had cleared the move to make Sharif, 60, the head of the alliance.

“They (Saudi Arabia) had made a written request and we have given our consent to the Saudi government in writing,” he said. Though the formalities were yet to be completed, the government had decided in-principle to clear the move.

Asif said this would be an “arrangement” between the two governments and it is “only a matter of time” before Sharif takes up the appointment. The structure of the Islamic Military Alliance is still not in place and Sharif is expected to give it shape, he added.

The defence minister, who had visited Saudi Arabia earlier this year, said the advisory board of the Islamic Military Alliance, comprising the defence ministers of member countries, is expected to meet in May.

Turkey, Egypt, Bangladesh, Sudan, the United Arab Emirates and Malaysia are among the members of the alliance, which has a command centre in Riyadh. Saudi defence minister Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud had said in 2015 that the alliance will tackle “the Islamic world’s problem with terrorism and will be a partner in the worldwide fight against this scourge”.

Earlier this month, there were reports that the Pakistan Army will send a brigade of about 3,000 combat troops to Saudi Arabia to strengthen defences along the kingdom’s vulnerable southern border with Yemen in the face of threats from the Islamic State and Houthi rebels.

This will not be the first time that Pakistani troops will be deployed to Saudi Arabia. Pakistani troops train and advise Saudi military personnel and sources told Hindustan Times that about 2,000 Pakistani officers and soldiers are currently in the kingdom.

Military ruler Zia ul-Haq sent an elite armoured brigade to Saudi Arabia at King Fahd’s request after terrorists besieged the Grand Mosque complex in Mecca and the Iranian revolution in 1979. The brigade was deployed for a decade and some 40,000 soldiers served in it.

what Pakistan is going to get in return?? after all nations work for their own benefits

No offence but maybe he can teach them a thing or 2. Modern Arabs have lost their way when it comes to warfare.

Raheel Sharif's appointment as chief of 39-nation military alliance 'approved': defence minister
DAWN.COM

Defence Minister Khawaja Asif said that the government had given its green signal for retired Gen Raheel Sharif to take charge as head of a 39-nation military alliance of Muslim states.

In the video, Asif could be heard saying that the government had agreed "in principle" to the arrangement after receiving a written request from the Saudi government.

However, the minister said official procedures have not yet been completed in this regard.

The coalition was envisaged to serve as a platform for security cooperation, including a provision for training, equipment and troops, and involvement of religious scholars for dealing with extremism.

“I believe that when Gen Raheel Sharif joins, he will define a structure [for the alliance]", Asif further said.

The defence minister also said that an advisory council of defense ministers of member countries is expected to meet in May to discuss the alliance's future.

Asif had on Jan 11 told Senate that Sharif would be required to seek a no-objection certificate from the government prior to accepting a position as chief of the 39-nation Islamic military coalition.

"The rules laid down by the Ministry of Defence for post-retirement assignments of army officers will be applicable equally to Raheel Sharif," Asif had said in the Senate session.

In the same session, Adviser to the Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz had refused to speak on the issue "as no formal offer had been made by Saudi Arabia in this regard".

The defence minister's statement will be aired in full on Sunday evening

58761a1f44238.jpg

I hope this move turns out good for Pakistan & Gen. Raheel works wisely. meanwhile the so called analysts in India continue to spread lies & attempt to spread panic with their lies.

Good news. I trust the judgement of General Raheel Sharif, he won't be involved in anything that would jeopardise Pakistan or would be immoral. This military alliance can be very useful. It's quite clear for a long time that terrorists have been used to re-shape the Middle East. They put the finishing touches on what the West starts. We need a force that can counter-act them. It will also be a useful platform to create a Muslim equivalent of NATO. Right now we have no Joint command and control structures, this will provide that. How long the force remains, what theatres it operates in etc, that's up to the political will of the nations involved.

As a matter of priority I expect to see it deployed in Yemen, Syria and Iraq. There is wider scope for it in Libya, Afghanistan and Somalia and South Sudan. After that... who knows. :)

Back
Top Bottom