What's new

Poland looks at AW101 Merlin helicopters for search and rescue missions

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Photo by Leonardo-Finmeccanica
The Ministry of National Defence Republic of Poland is looking to order AW101 Merlin multi-role helicopters for search and rescue (SAR), airborne mine countermeasures and ship-based utility missions.

The AW101 Merlin is a long range, medium lift helicopter developed by Leonardo-Finmeccanica company. The Merlin has been designed to perform naval warfare missions (ASW and ASuW), search and rescue (SAR), and military utility missions.

The AW101 helicopter can also be armed with anti-ship missiles, air-to-air missiles, air-to-surface missiles, rockets and gun systems. The typical range and endurance of the AW101 are 1,300km and six hours respectively.

The first AW101 helicopter entered service in 2000. It has been selected by the United Kingdom, Italy, Janan, Denmark and Canada with more than 200 aircraft ordered to date.

Early the Polish government has cancelled talks with Airbus Helicopters on a multi-billion euro deal to buy military helicopters.

http://defence-blog.com/news/poland...licopters-for-search-and-rescue-missions.html

Awasome. It's a great heli. Norway and Denmark also use is for SAR.
http://defense-update.com/20131108_norway_selects_aw101_sar.html

AW101-5.jpg

AgustaWestland AW101 Search And Rescue Helicopter Configurations
aw101-search-and-rescue-helicopter-configurations.png

@Horus Which one do you reckon would be the better Sea King replacement? AW101, S-70 or AW159? The AW159 is basically the Lynx, so I don't think the PN would want to revisit that episode again. OTOH the AW101 does offer a great lift capability which would be useful for ferrying the Marines, and it can handle AShW and ASW. The S-70 is in the middle - i.e. AShW/ASW capable and can take on a lighter lift role - but likely benefits from lower acquisition and maintenance costs.

@Horus Which one do you reckon would be the better Sea King replacement? AW101, S-70 or AW159? The AW159 is basically the Lynx, so I don't think the PN would want to revisit that episode again. OTOH the AW101 does offer a great lift capability which would be useful for ferrying the Marines, and it can handle AShW and ASW. The S-70 is in the middle - i.e. AShW/ASW capable and can take on a lighter lift role - but likely benefits from lower acquisition and maintenance costs.

there too expensive even on maintainance. the ec 725being built by iptn (Indonesian aerospace) would be great as they share some commonality with the h-215 Pakistan Wil inevitably buy.

the aw159 production line is running on fumes in terms of orders as they are building a couple for the Philippines and thats it. we may get some luck with bangladesh. but the aw159 is too small to replace the seaking.

i thought the s70 was rejected when the usa blocked funding for the f16's and pakistan chose the aw-139, but thats for the army.

more z-9 coupled with the some new ec725's but the aw101 would be perfect
mind you the p3's are getting a bit old as well.

there too expensive even on maintainance. the ec 725being built by iptn (Indonesian aerospace) would be great as they share some commonality with the h-215 Pakistan Wil inevitably buy.

the aw159 production line is running on fumes in terms of orders as they are building a couple for the Philippines and thats it. we may get some luck with bangladesh. but the aw159 is too small to replace the seaking.

i thought the s70 was rejected when the usa blocked funding for the f16's and pakistan chose the aw-139, but thats for the army.

more z-9 coupled with the some new ec725's but the aw101 would be perfect
mind you the p3's are getting a bit old as well.
The PN wanted S-70s with the OHPs, but as the OHPs weren't coming, they stepped away from the Sea Hawks. However, with the PN negotiating for MILGEM ships with Turkey, it is plausible that they could push for Turkish-built S-70s to accompany them.

The PN wanted S-70s with the OHPs, but as the OHPs weren't coming, they stepped away from the Sea Hawks. However, with the PN negotiating for MILGEM ships with Turkey, it is plausible that they could push for Turkish-built S-70s to accompany them.
its possible and they share the same engine as the ah-1z's too but i wouldnt count on it.

who knows about the milgem or the milgem-g its highly likely, but pakistan may get a few type 057's but a mix is good too.

but i like to see more aw-139's

Airbus is very very upset.

Our offset offer would have generated more value in Poland than the revenues that would have been generated for Airbus Helicopters through the helicopter supply contract.
Out of a global Airbus Group ambition to create 6000 jobs in Poland, the Airbus Helicopters project would have led to the creation of 3800 jobs, including 1250 direct employments mainly in Lodz, Radom and Deblin.

http://augengeradeaus.net/2016/10/airbus-gegen-polen-da-brennt-die-luft/

Back
Top Bottom