What's new

POF PK-16 Heavy Machine Gun

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Developed from DSHK and first displayed in IDEAS 2016

The main features of HMG PK-16 Gun is the considerable reduction in its weight and mount combined which is 31kg as compared to 92kg of the existing weapon of the same category. The compact structure will now allow just two infantry soldiers to carry the weapon thus providing maximum flexibility and agility in deployment. It can also be installed on any armored vehicle with an effective range of 1500-1600 meter. Armed forces felt the need for a much lighter, more compact and reliable HMG rifle to support its operations. POF R&D accepted the challenge and meticulous efforts have resulted indigenously crafted HMG PK-16 a gas operated, air-cooled and belt fed automatic weapon for infantry.

15109470_1257658354307708_2010716742677610855_n.jpg

Developed from DSHK and first displayed in IDEAS 2016

The main features of HMG PK-16 Gun is the considerable reduction in its weight and mount combined which is 31kg as compared to 92kg of the existing weapon of the same category. The compact structure will now allow just two infantry soldiers to carry the weapon thus providing maximum flexibility and agility in deployment. It can also be installed on any armored vehicle with an effective range of 1500-1600 meter. Armed forces felt the need for a much lighter, more compact and reliable HMG rifle to support its operations. POF R&D accepted the challenge and meticulous efforts have resulted indigenously crafted HMG PK-16 a gas operated, air-cooled and belt fed automatic weapon for infantry.

View attachment 363432

Good should be used on LOC more and also in tribal areas and Afghan border.

I really want to check the figures. From 92 kg to 32 kg? If true it is a fantastic improvement.

With the universal use of body amour, the .50 caliber round is more important than ever. What has kept it from being more widely used is the weight of its weapon.

This could be a game changer.

Last edited:
Very good progress! Well done POF!!

Comparing it with original (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DShK)

--------------
Weight 34 kg (74.96 lb) (gun only) 157 kg (346.13 lb) on wheeled mounting
vs
30+-2 kg by POF

Wonder if it is the materials used that reduce the weight? And whether most of the reduction is because of the mount.
Assumption: the total weight reported in OP is gun + mount.
--------------
Length 1,625 mm (64.0 in)
vs
1500 mm by POF

Possibly some internal mechanisms have been changed? Would love to get more insight from people who know the details. Also, in general, shorter length is better because it has benefits in storage, placement on vehicles, transportation etc. Good job!!!
--------------
Barrel length 1,070 mm (42.1 in)
vs
1003 mm by POF

What impact does the reduced length have on accuracy? In general, shorter barrel length means less accurate at longer distances.
-------------
Muzzle velocity 850 m/s (2,788 ft/s)
vs
810 m/s by POF

Understandable given shorter length of barrel. Slightly softer punch but may be negligible in practice.
------------
Rate of fire 600 rounds/min
vs
540 ~ 600 rounds/min by POF

I think POF numbers are more accurate because rate of fire is related to the heating of the gun under continued firing and will be limited by how quickly the belt can be replaced (there is no such thing as an infinitely long belt)
------------
Effective firing range 2,000 m
Maximum firing range 2,500 m
vs
Sight Range 1500-1600 m

Note that the graphic is only reporting 'sight range', i.e., the range where target can be engaged accurately using the built-in iron sights. Would be good to know the effective and max ranges, but given the slightly softer punch discussed above, I expect it to be shorter.
------------

Overall, looks to be a trade-off between ease of transport/storage and punching power, yet the loss of punch seems to be negligible.

What I find disconcerting is the life of barrel: 3500 rounds??? Is that an error? At full firing rate, this means the barrel will go out of life in just 7 minutes? Either I am fundamentally misunderstanding something, or this needs to be improved. I remember from the IDEAS2016 videos, a POF representative was acknowledging that barrel life of LSR needs to be improved. I guess that is also the case with the heave machine gun?

Hopefully, if one day our domestic helicopter industry takes off, some variant of this gun can be paired with transport helis so they aren't simply sitting ducks.

Please don't spread misinformation. The full quote from that page reads:

Weight: 34 kg MG body, 157 kg on universal wheeled mount with shield

34 kg is only gun weight .. dshk with full setup weight much more than that ....

PK16 full setup weight is about 32 kg and it is carry able by 2 soldiers which enhance maneuverability
Very good progress! Well done POF!!

Comparing it with original (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DShK)

--------------
Weight 34 kg (74.96 lb) (gun only) 157 kg (346.13 lb) on wheeled mounting
vs
30+-2 kg by POF

Wonder if it is the materials used that reduce the weight? And whether most of the reduction is because of the mount.
Assumption: the total weight reported in OP is gun + mount.
--------------
Length 1,625 mm (64.0 in)
vs
1500 mm by POF

Possibly some internal mechanisms have been changed? Would love to get more insight from people who know the details. Also, in general, shorter length is better because it has benefits in storage, placement on vehicles, transportation etc. Good job!!!
--------------
Barrel length 1,070 mm (42.1 in)
vs
1003 mm by POF

What impact does the reduced length have on accuracy? In general, shorter barrel length means less accurate at longer distances.
-------------
Muzzle velocity 850 m/s (2,788 ft/s)
vs
810 m/s by POF

Understandable given shorter length of barrel. Slightly softer punch but may be negligible in practice.
------------
Rate of fire 600 rounds/min
vs
540 ~ 600 rounds/min by POF

I think POF numbers are more accurate because rate of fire is related to the heating of the gun under continued firing and will be limited by how quickly the belt can be replaced (there is no such thing as an infinitely long belt)
------------
Effective firing range 2,000 m
Maximum firing range 2,500 m
vs
Sight Range 1500-1600 m

Note that the graphic is only reporting 'sight range', i.e., the range where target can be engaged accurately using the built-in iron sights. Would be good to know the effective and max ranges, but given the slightly softer punch discussed above, I expect it to be shorter.
------------

Overall, looks to be a trade-off between ease of transport/storage and punching power, yet the loss of punch seems to be negligible.

What I find disconcerting is the life of barrel: 3500 rounds??? Is that an error? At full firing rate, this means the barrel will go out of life in just 7 minutes? Either I am fundamentally misunderstanding something, or this needs to be improved. I remember from the IDEAS2016 videos, a POF representative was acknowledging that barrel life of LSR needs to be improved. I guess that is also the case with the heave machine gun?

Hopefully, if one day our domestic helicopter industry takes off, some variant of this gun can be paired with transport helis so they aren't simply sitting ducks.

Please don't spread misinformation. The full quote from that page reads:

Weight: 34 kg MG body, 157 kg on universal wheeled mount with shield
34 Kg is weight of DsHKM-46 including the mount.
Only weight reduction in PK-16 is it has a thinner firing handle, shorter barrel and no shoulder support.
Most DsHK no longer use universal wheel mount which eas primarily used with DsHK-1938, since 50s

Can somebody clarify this. What is the weight of the original soviet weapon?

Back
Top Bottom