What's new

PN mini-submarine fleet

These 'mini-subs', what weapons can they carry?
:undecided:

Pakistan have build at karachi ship yard midget subs in colaboration with M/s COSMOS of Italy. these were the SX-756 subs.
the last example was built back in 1988~94 and no new arrivials since then.

A State of the Art MIDGET submarine built for Pakistan Navy in collaboration with M/s COSMOS of Italy. The boat is capable of firing torpedoes and carrying mines. It is available both in Offensive as well as Defensive roles.
Other features include:
• Stealth capability
• Quiet Transiting
• Shallow Water Operations
• Sneak Operations
• Commando Operations
• Surveillance and Intelligence Missions

sminimar.jpg

Length (Overall) 27.28 M
Height (Overall) 5.59 M
Pressure Hull Diameter 2.30 M
Pressure Hull Length 19.10 M
Displacement (Surfaced) 102 Tons
Displacement (Submerged) 110 Tons
Operation Depth 100 M
Max. speed (Surfaced) 9 Knots (on diesel engine)
Max. speed (Submerged) 6 Knots (on batteries)
Endurance Over 1000 Nautical Miles
on Diesel Engine
Complement 14 (6+8)
Armament
• Torpedo Firing Tubes
• Mines Laying Hooks

MIDGET Submarines

adding to this, it was te third of the Midget subs, the PNSM Larkana that was build at karachi dock yard under licience from M/s COSMOS

regards!

Great man, thank you! Keep on the good job!

So, if I got it straight, only the 3th boat have the aspect of the picture above? or maybe all 3 boats been upgraded at this level?

Thank you!

[edit]

Are you sre mate about this name?
PNS LARKANA looks like its a missile boat ..

I'm sayng this beacause its strange that a Navy give the same name at two of her boats (at the same time)..

Last edited:
The MG110LR X-craft currently in service with Pakistan were supplied from the outset with two external torpedoe tubes. Following modification, the X-craft have been given the provision to carry torpedoes within the hull of the submarine. Structurally the main difference in the hull is found on the upper section forward of the sail. There are no other structural differences and the dive entry/exit chamber remains unaffected. additional modifications allowed for enhanced Sonar, Comms and fire control system as well as outer structural enhancments for carriage of the newer mines - i.e. Stonefish. A redesigned new outer hull was also incorporated which offered better acoustic absorption capabilities.

The X-craft do not have any names as they do not have any penant assigned. They are simply referred to as X-craft 01, 02 & 03. There is no PNSM Larkhana or any other name ever assigned to either these X-craft or their predecessors.

Note: None of the above is harmful to any national interest. Its common knowledge to practioners in the sub industry.

Last edited:
Cosmos always marketed his products with several different names, the actual designation for PN was SX-908/PA, producer's designation was SX-756S while I've not understood if MG-110 is the upgraded boat designation or its just another market name of the same product.

Who performed the mid life upgrades? Local SysCo company?

How many of the three boats been upgraded in order to fit tubes up on the pressure hull?

The updates were done locally by Pakistan Navy in concert with Cosmos. The X-craft which underwent the modernization plan first was the one which had just been recovered from the sea bed following its accident. The other two subs also subsequently underwent the same upadates of the modernization programme albeight the final was never intended to be updated with the extra bow torpedoe tubes. However retrofitting this would not be a difficult task for the navy. The 2nd X-craft has reverted back to its non-bow torpedoe tube original spec but this can be retrofitted within a matter of days.

As these are X-craft for use primarily by SSGN, the carraige of torpedoes becomes an irrelevant factor. Subsequent mission fit including carraige of torpedoes would be dictated by the the mission profile designated to the X-craft during war time.

MG 110 LR was a new name given to the updated SX-756 X-craft when they were being marketed to other nations in particular Egypt which had shown a strong interest. You can be assured that the equipment fit may well be different and one thing which was indicated at the time was the increased range of the subs hence the designation LR (Long Range). Whilst the Pakistani X-craft also have the same increase in range, their designation was not changed.

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you.
Egypt been a Cosmos customer during the '60, but I do belive they were just SDVs and they never get our submarines..

Do you know if the designation LR, include the AIP mod?
The factory also use another designation to intend the improved range, ER (extended range), but I think that it was applied from the 120t boats on.
The ER module was an AIP engine nemed UAPE (Underwater Auxiliary Propulsion Engine), created by Italtech, the company that later was envolved in the OFF scandal.

On another hand, any news from Lahore?

There is no AIP on the MG-110LR rather the extended range was afforded through conventional means (That is all I can say at this point ;-> ). Rightly or wrongly, COSMOS interspersed the designations of theX-craft sold by them throuhout their history. But a few facts can be ascertained. When Pakistan initially looked at buying X-craft to replace their SX-404, the replacement available at the time was the SX-756. The MG-110 LR is a larger version of the SX-756 and hence its new designation. To date Pakistan is the only known operator of the MG-110LR.

The ER you refer to was applied only to the MG-120ER which did in fact incorporate AIP and to my knowledge this model remain unsold. The MG-120 was in fact based onthe MG-110LR,with AIP being one key and perhaps only significant difference in addition to the usual increase in payload. Three had in fact been ordered by Iraq, but were not delivered owing to circumstances we are all aware of at the time. The sole completed 120-ER remained undelivered and its fate is unkown, i.e. whether scrapped or absorbed by a naval force either at home or abroad.

Given the confidential nature of the business of selling X-craft, it is very unlikely that the true picture of Cosmos's sale history will ever be known except to the handful very close to the company. Discretion is something both Cosmos and its customers valued strongly.

As for Lahore, I believe someone else promised you an answer on that.

Last edited:
You are well informed and from you words I can evince that you know what are you talking about (your knowledge on this matter looks focused on the problematic PN experience with cosmos, correct me if I’m wrong), this positively surprise me since there is very few people interested in such a small segment, I like you!

What you state is mostly correct, I may add that that original SX-756W was a 70t boat, the factory designation for the 110t boat (marketed as MG-110, later LR after the improvements) was SX-756S.
Iraq was about to buy in the late 80s, other then many company’s shares, two W and one S of the 756 model.

MG-120 is a totally different boat, of course the 110t boat’s upgrade, but it shares few with the old model and it arrived many years later (is a early ’90 product), and I believe they were sold.

The evolution doesn’t stop with the 120t boat, there are other models, mind that Cos.Mo.S. defaulted in 2003….:whistle:

As for Lahore, yes, I was waiting for pictures about the 404B boat on display over there.. :azn:

EXWNIqW.png

These submarines were built in Pakistan under the supervision of the Italian company Cosmos. They are built to an enlarged SX 756 design and have replaced the older SX 404 design submarines, which have now been retired.

These submarines can transport up to eight swimmers on raiding or reconnaissance missions, or perform other tasks in shallow waters such as mining. Armament consists of two torpedo tubes that can be loaded with SUT type torpedoes, up to eight limpet type mines can be carried in place of the torpedoes, or a pair of two-man underwater swimmer chariots.

Sensors only include a pair of Pilkingtom CK 39 periscopes.

These subs are believed to have an endurance of 20 days.

Three of these submarines were purchased in 1988. One was lost in 1995, but has been replaced. All are active.

Builder
COSMOS Shipbuilders, Livorno

http://babriet.tripod.com/navy/stat/statmg110.htm

That figure of 3 x-craft is unlikely to change in the near to medium term. Control of these x-craft was taken from SSGN & placed under COMSUBS. Whilst a not so clear decision, it was a long time coming & had always met heavy resistance from SSGN.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom