What's new

PN mini-submarine fleet

Pakistan is already using the midgets

MG110 COSMOS Midget Submarine

The SX 404 type sold to Pakistan in the early 1970s have been replaced by three Italian-built SX-756-class midget submarines, delivered in 1988. This State of the Art MIDGET submarine is now building in Karachi Shipyard & Engineering Works for Pakistan Navy in collaboration with M/s COSMOS of Italy. The boat is capable of firing torpedoes and carrying mines. It is available both in Offensive as well as Defensive roles. These displace 40 tons and are capable of diving to a depth of 100m. They can carry six swimmers and two SDVs, as well as 2 tons of explosives.

Other features include:
• Stealth capability
• Quiet Transiting
• Shallow Water Operations
• Sneak Operations
• Commando Operations
• Surveillance and Intelligence Missions

SPECIFICATIONS:
Length overall: 27.28 meters
Height overall: 5.59 meters
Pressure Hull Diameter: 2.30 meters
Pressure Hull Length: 19.10 meters
Displacement surfaced: 102 tons
Displacement surfaced: 110 tons
Operation Depth: 100 m
Max. speed (surfaced): 9 KTS (on diesel engine)
Max. speed (submerged): 6 KTS (on batteries)
Endurance: Over 1000 NM on diesel engine, Over 40 NM on batteries
Complement: 14 (6 operators + 8 commandos)
Armament:
• Torpedo Firing Tubes
• Mines Laying Hooks

Pakistan is building MG110 COSMOS Midget Submarine at Karachi Shipyard and engineering works. pictures of MG110 COSMOS Midget Submarine are available at

MIDGET Submarines

I have already posted the below on another thread on this forum, but as it is dealing with the same subjected, here it is again.

The SX-756 submarines were the first of a new design by Cosmos of Livorno. The first 3 craft were sold to Pakistan in kit form and arrived in Karachi in 1988. When the deal for the submarines was signed, it was no coincidence that Adm Tariq Kamal Khan was CNS. As a former SSGN and first CO of PNS Iqbal following its commission on 29 March 1967, he understood full well the potential of SOF and unconventional warfare. Cosmos marketed the submarine as the MG-110 along with another variant known as the MG-120ER. The latter is known to be in service with Italy, South Korea and Columbia. The SDV's delivered to PN in the 1970's are no longer in use and were withdrawn from service in the late 90's. Some of thse SDV's now serve as reminders of a past era for SSGN as part of a display at the Maritime museum in Karachi.

SX-756 are equipped to carry torpedoes, mines and/or combat divers. They have been modernised during the late 90's to help keep them in service. One of the X-craft was lost at sea in 1995. However there were no fatalities and the Midget was recovered, repaired and subsequently returned to service

PN deployed its 6 SX-404 midgets against India in 1971. One of them even fired upon an Indain naval FFG, but the torpedoe firing system malfunctioned and remained lodged in its external launcher, thereby denying PN what might have been a double hit in concert with PNS/M Hangor's sinking of INS Kukri.

In 1978, an unfortunate accident resulted in the loss of an SX-404 at sea with all hands. Despite SAR ops, niether the midget nor any bodies were eveer recovered. The sole PN SX-404 hull known to have survived the breakers yard/target practise is on display at the PN Maritime Museum and an earlier version of the SX-404 is still reported to be in service with the Columbian Navy. However it is doubtful that this would have been done without significant modification or as is likely a fabriaction of a new hull based on the old design.

Cosmos was bought out by Cardoen Industries in the mid 90's. However owing to the latters connections with the then Iraqi government, the Italian government shut Cosmos down, putting it out of business.

i feel we need atlest 18 subs with nuke subs of 2 so we can give some probleum to indian naval AC fleet and sub fleet those 18 should be state of the art subs so we servive P8 posedian attack of indian naval anti submarine aircraft

Ok once again can anyone tell me wat will be the total count of PN sub fleet in the future ?? thx.

sir, perhaps the older Agosta 70 ready to be decommisioned as soon as the induction of newer platforms be it be french or german i do not see the number rising above six in the near future! that is as realistic as one can get.
just to me optimist, i guess we can build two or so mre Agosta 90B to complement!

regards!

i know i am a bit too late, but, as it is said, better late then never!!

Last edited:
i feel we need atlest 18 subs with nuke subs of 2 so we can give some probleum to indian naval AC fleet and sub fleet those 18 should be state of the art subs so we servive P8 posedian attack of indian naval anti submarine aircraft

sir, with all the respect, dont you think it is a bit toooo unrealistic approach. you are talking about 18 were as one cannot see more then six in another six years or so. i really wish i was wrong with this thinking but i am afraid i am not!!!
what do you say??

regards!

Ya need to start working on the 2 nuke subs ASAP. And i am sure India will like the news..;)

sir, perhaps the older Agosta 70 ready to be decommisioned as soon as the induction of newer platforms be it be french or german i do not see the number rising above six in the near future! that is as realistic as one can get.
just to me optimist, i guess we can build two or so mre Agosta 90B to complement!

regards!

i know i am a bit too late, but, as it is said, better late then never!!

Nope... super falcon is quite right here... and btw we are talking about future most probably 2020 time frame.. Agosta is just a very old frame with good technology.. the last thing PN wanna do is waist money on somthing that was already forced down their throat! yes i am talking about agostas... it would have been a wiser decision to have opted for Type-209 AIP with sub harpoon capability.. but thats just my opinion and availability is another issue or could they have sorted it out if zardari had not interfered?

however i am not with the idea of producing nuclear power submarine.. IMO PN should rather spend that couple of billion dollars on more capable sub in indo-pak context the "Type-214"... spend 2 billion dollars on nuclear sub or get 5 type-214?

ssgn_06.jpg

SSG(N) personnel on a X-Craft (SX-756 Class) midget submarine during a training exercise. The X-Craft course that is taught to SSG(N) personnel has a 32 week duration out of which 12 weeks are spent on theory and 20 weeks on practical exercises.

These 'mini-subs', what weapons can they carry?
:undecided:

Pakistan have build at karachi ship yard midget subs in colaboration with M/s COSMOS of Italy. these were the SX-756 subs.
the last example was built back in 1988~94 and no new arrivials since then.

A State of the Art MIDGET submarine built for Pakistan Navy in collaboration with M/s COSMOS of Italy. The boat is capable of firing torpedoes and carrying mines. It is available both in Offensive as well as Defensive roles.
Other features include:
• Stealth capability
• Quiet Transiting
• Sneak Operations
• Commando Operations

sminimar.jpg

Length (Overall) 27.28 M
Height (Overall) 5.59 M
Pressure Hull Diameter 2.30 M
Pressure Hull Length 19.10 M
Displacement (Surfaced) 102 Tons
Displacement (Submerged) 110 Tons
Operation Depth 100 M
Max. speed (Surfaced) 9 Knots (on diesel engine)
Max. speed (Submerged) 6 Knots (on batteries)
Endurance Over 1000 Nautical Miles
on Diesel Engine
Complement 14 (6+8)
Armament
• Torpedo Firing Tubes
• Mines Laying Hooks

MIDGET Submarines

regards!

Pakistan is already using the midgets

MG110 COSMOS Midget Submarine

The SX 404 type sold to Pakistan in the early 1970s have been replaced by three Italian-built SX-756-class midget submarines, delivered in 1988. This State of the Art MIDGET submarine is now building in Karachi Shipyard & Engineering Works for Pakistan Navy in collaboration with M/s COSMOS of Italy. The boat is capable of firing torpedoes and carrying mines. It is available both in Offensive as well as Defensive roles. These displace 40 tons and are capable of diving to a depth of 100m. They can carry six swimmers and two SDVs, as well as 2 tons of explosives.

Other features include:
• Stealth capability
• Quiet Transiting
• Sneak Operations
• Commando Operations

SPECIFICATIONS:
Length overall: 27.28 meters
Height overall: 5.59 meters
Pressure Hull Diameter: 2.30 meters.
Pressure Hull Length: 19.10 meters
Displacement surfaced: 102 tons
Displacement surfaced: 110 tons
Operation Depth: 100 m
Max. speed (surfaced): 9 KTS (on diesel engine)
Max. speed (submerged): 6 KTS (on batteries)
Endurance: Over 1000 NM on diesel engine, Over 40 NM on batteries
Complement: 14 (6 operators + 8 commandos)
Armament:
• Torpedo Firing Tubes
• Mines Laying Hooks

Pakistan is building MG110 COSMOS Midget Submarine at Karachi Shipyard and engineering works. pictures of MG110 COSMOS Midget Submarine are available at

MIDGET Submarines

What torpedos will be used and what are the ranges???
SLBM included??

Back
Top Bottom