MirBadshah

BANNED
Reaction score
Pilot unrest in India's air force
By Nagendar Sharma
BBC News, Delhi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4895768.stm

The air force is no longer seen as a promising career
The Indian Air Force is facing a crisis after at least 200 pilots indicated they wanted to leave the service, a BBC investigation has discovered.

The pilots say poor working and living conditions, and the difficulty of living apart from their families, have prompted their decisions.

But they say the IAF is not allowing them to quit their jobs. One pilot attempted suicide after being refused.

The IAF said premature retirement cases were decided only after proper

scrutiny.

Having given the prime years of my youth to the country, what have I asked for? Just to be allowed to live with my family

Air force pilot

Many serving pilots spoken to by the BBC in different parts of India say they are no longer motivated to carry on in service while being separated from their families. They say deteriorating service conditions and a culture of "sycophancy being promoted by senior officers" is making it difficult for them to work.

They say the situation is aggravated by the authorities' refusal to allow them to quit.

'Victimised'

Figures obtained by the BBC show that between 2002 and 2004, 263 pilots were allowed by the IAF authorities to seek premature retirement.

However, in 2005 only eight pilots were allowed to leave

The BBC has seen classified documents that show that one of those given premature retirement managed to do so only after he obtained a letter from a member of parliament.

The IAF says it spends millions of rupees on each pilot's training
One of the pilots, with more than a decade of service with the IAF, said he was dismayed at not having been given permission to leave the force, and felt victimised.

"Having given the prime years of my youth to the country, what have I asked for? Just to be allowed to live with my family. Even that is being denied," he told the BBC.

"I have been told by the authorities to shut up, otherwise I would be transferred to a place from where I would be able to do nothing," he said

Air force response

Another pilot who was denied permission to leave attempted to commit suicide.

He is currently undergoing psychiatric help in an army hospital.

In a written response to the BBC, the IAF said: "When any officer of the IAF asks for premature retirement on compassionate grounds, these cases are investigated and, when found genuine, the officer is allowed to proceed on premature retirement."

The IAF also said it was investigating the suicide attempt.

We have to ensure that cockpit vacancies are kept filled at all times, as failure to do so would jeopardise national security

Indian Air Force

But the angry and frustrated pilots say they feel they made a mistake by joining the force.

Many of them challenge the IAF's claim that they are given basic facilities such as free accommodation.

One officer with more than 15 years of service said: "Whether you are posted in a small or a big city, you are not given an accommodation of more than two small rooms.

"If on a two-year posting, you are moving houses every six months. Only those who do it know the stress they undergo."

Commercial airlines

But the IAF says the terms and conditions of service are made known to the young men and women at the time of joining.

It says millions of rupees are spent on training them to become pilots.

"We have to ensure that cockpit vacancies are kept filled at all times, as failure to do so would jeopardise national security," it says.

But an added complication has been the emergence of many new private airlines in India that has led to a massive demand for trained pilots.

Many of them see the air force pilots as their best bet.

The BBC asked one of the pilots whether he and his colleagues were looking to leave the force to join commercial airlines for higher salaries and a better lifestyle.

"What is wrong even if we do plan to become commercial pilots?" he said in response.

"We have given the best part of our life to the country. I would also request you to have a look at the lists of candidates applying for commercial pilots' licenses.

"You would be shocked to find majority of those are relatives of senior commanders, and in some case these seniors themselves," he alleged.

lol...........................

I have read some where (dont rmember the link) a high official in Indian forces sold the defence secrets for only 20,000 Rs. its less then US $ 300, he was also charged undder Indian Military Act and punished, what a military force can do in such pathatic state is no secret but these are things form where neighbours get advantages.

I guess it's more to do with the level of payments they receive as a commercial airline pilot...

In the US the commercial airlines are the nations reserve of pilots. With the excpetion of the F-16 all airforce pilots fly mutli-engined jets. When hey leave active service they ewnter the airguard and fly on weekends and keep thier hours up by flying commercial. Then when the yleave for good they and thier jumbo jets can still be mobalized in wartime and used as a massive sky-borne highway. India should follow suit and use its airlines as an asset and not see them as a threat.

Although such short sightedness on the Indians part is good for Pakistan.

What is the date of this news?

zraver, In India recently they have said they will free up pilots when not needed to fly civil planes so that they earn more, news from past week.

Pakistan is a peace loving country and would never appriciate such rebilions inside Indian forces, we want to see a strong and united India after what we have suffered because of instability in Afghanistan.

We hope these guys are not forced to the limits where they become a tool in hands of NAXAL or BJP, it would require immidiate interfarance of world community if IAF goes desperate.

It is in both China's and Pakistan's intrest to help India solve this problem, if these guys go in hands of Maoists for economic needs it can cause a huge problem in region.

Pakistan is a peace loving country and would never appriciate such rebilions inside Indian forces, we want to see a strong and united India after what we have suffered because of instability in Afghanistan.
haha...MirBadshah is trying to imply that India is unstable!!! As compared to PAKISTAN! Now thats a good joke i have heard in a long time.

Dude, newsflash...it is India surrounded by unstable neighbours, where there is a problem of rule of law, democracy does not exist, etc, etc, etc.

This article is old. Perhaps if you care to search this forum's archives, you would find it, stop posting articles over a year old.

We hope these guys are not forced to the limits where they become a tool in hands of NAXAL or BJP, it would require immidiate interfarance of world community if IAF goes desperate.
Immediate interference of world community? :lol:
First find out...BJP is a political party, your mentioning them in the same breath as Naxal's. Shows your level of knowledge and understanding:lol:

It is in both China's and Pakistan's intrest to help India solve this problem, if these guys go in hands of Maoists for economic needs it can cause a huge problem in region.
ROFL....

This problem occurs when you HAVE a huge and booming civil aviation market and a very high demand. Ofcourse in Pakistan you will not face such kinds of problems. lol.

The problem has been solved to a certain extent. IAF has said that it will loan its pilots to the civil industry and they can continue their flying hours there.

This problem occurs when you HAVE a huge and booming civil aviation market and a very high demand. Ofcourse in Pakistan you will not face such kinds of problems. lol.

The problem has been solved to a certain extent. IAF has said that it will loan its pilots to the civil industry and they can continue their flying hours there.

So indeed there's a problem, you accept that.........it's not all because of boom in civil aviation market......they are simply not getting enough from the airforce....including hours, holidays or $$$ what ever.

Wonder being a pilot if u have to sit on the bench for months or perhaps years, how would u feel and react:rolleyes:.....my feelings:angel:.

Melb,

There is a need of 112 pilots in India every year for the commericial Airline Industry.

And I agree there is a need to improve the payscale for the Airforce people

Melb,

There is a need of 112 pilots in India every year for the commericial Airline Industry.

But my point was still valid......u can't sit for nothing....what u trained for. This is where the big problems starts 1st up.... left alone the wages and other stuff.

Melb,

But my point was still valid......u can't sit for nothing....what u trained for. This is where the big problems start 1st up.... left alone the wages and other stuff.

That is another problem, but that is a minor one compared to the others,
Look at the amount time taken for MMRCA and the rest....babudom.

But Payscale is the main thing. Commericial pilots gets paid like crazy over here...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom