Reaction score
Country
India
BrahMos-1+Block+3's+Test-firing+on+July+8,+2014-1.jpg

BrahMos-1+Block+3's+Test-firing+on+July+8,+2014-2.jpg

BrahMos-1+coastal+defence+systerm.jpg

Submarine-launched+BrahMos-1.jpg

BrahMos-Mini.jpg

^^ CHECK THOSE SPECS ABOVE of BrahMos-Mini... smaller size, more speed, same range! (Gets one guessing about real range potential of the larger version of BrahMos)...

BrahMos+Industrial+Consortium-5.jpg

BrahMos+Industrial+Consortium-6.jpg

BrahMos+Industrial+Consortium-8.jpg

BrahMos+Industrial+Consortium-9.jpg

BrahMos+Industrial+Consortium-10.jpg

TRISHUL: 44th Successful Firing Of BrahMos-1 Supersonic LACM

I have opted out some of the older infographics which were already posted on this forum before,
visit the TRISHUL link above to view them all.

^^ CHECK THOSE SPECS ABOVE of BrahMos-Mini... smaller size, more speed, same range! (Gets one guessing about real range potential of the larger version of BrahMos)...

This has always been a mystery to me - if Brahmos-M is smaller, lighter & (now) faster than the original Brahmos, why not do away with the old version all together? Is it expected to be more expensive or have a smaller warhead?

Same for the K-4 vs Agni 1, 2, 3.

This has always been a mystery to me - if Brahmos-M is smaller, lighter & (now) faster than the original Brahmos, why not do away with the old version all together? Is it expected to be more expensive or have a smaller warhead?

A brahmos fired from a plane thousands of meters high in the sky will automatically be smaller and lighter (and hence faster?) due to the savings in fuel needed for take off and climb plase.

A brahmos fired from a plane thousands of meters high in the sky will automatically be smaller and lighter (and hence faster?) due to the savings in fuel needed for take off and climb plase.
No that's not true - a big part of size and weight is due to the engine. So they must have been able to reduce the engine size & weight while keeping thrust-to-weight ratio the same or more.

But anyways, I didn't ask why Bramhos-M was smaller. I am curious why with a smaller missile with the same range available, would anyone want to keep using the older heavier version.

BrahmosM will already be supersonic when launched from su30, so it does away with solid booster. The solid booster is there in the older version to impart the missile supersonic velocity to enable ramjet engine to work.

The air-launched version of normal BrahMos is already some 500kg lighter and shorter (booster stage removed) than
normal Block-1/2/3 land-based BrahMos. But the new BrahMos-M appears to have a new RAMJET engine, more
refined, smaller & allowing Mach 3.5 top speed, up from Mach 2.8-3.0 in previous versions.

The air launched BrahMos due to be tested shortly is not reported to have any range or speed advantage over
the land-based versions.

No that's not true - a big part of size and weight is due to the engine. So they must have been able to reduce the engine size & weight while keeping thrust-to-weight ratio the same or more.

But anyways, I didn't ask why Bramhos-M was smaller. I am curious why with a smaller missile with the same range available, would anyone want to keep using the older heavier version.

Sir, the smaller missile has the same range only WHEN fired from air, NOT from ground.

The air-launched version of normal BrahMos is already some 500kg lighter and shorter (booster stage removed) than
normal Block-1/2/3 land-based BrahMos. But the new BrahMos-M appears to have a new RAMJET engine, more
refined, smaller & allowing Mach 3.5 top speed, up from Mach 2.8-3.0 in previous versions.
The air launched BrahMos due to be tested shortly is not reported to have any range or speed advantage over
the land-based versions.

Hope you are right.

...unless the original BrahMos offers capabilities we don't know about, and which are not yet implementable
into smaller airframes.

Sir, the smaller missile has the same range only WHEN fired from air, NOT from ground.
Hope you are right.

You cannot fire it or better word use brahmosM from ground. Ramjet engine only works at supersonic speeds. BrahmosM will have some speed and range advantage because it can capitalize on SU30 speeds, like launch the missile when su30 is at mach 2.

You cannot fire it or better word use brahmosM from ground. Ramjet engine only works at supersonic speeds. BrahmosM will have some speed and range advantage because it can capitalize on SU30 speeds, like launch the missile when su30 is at mach 2.

Then normal BrahMos' air launched version (due to be tested shortly) should have greater than 300km range.

Back
Top Bottom